PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar!!

CANT.CU
30-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Hi all i am just after any imput on any one who has used a Clay bar before, What did you think of it and which brand you used hope to hear back thank you :)

nonchalant
30-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Yup I used a Meguairs claybar on my car when I first purchased it and got a heap of crap out of the paint, mainly on the bonnet and roof and boot, and I then treated the whole car with the gear from www.paintprotection.com.au and the car came up a million $$ :)

VX15ANNIV
30-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Yep, I second the Meguairs clay bar system with the Ultimate quick detailer, works a treat, just use plenty of the quick detailer with the bar and a smooth clean surface is guaranteed.

CANT.CU
30-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys for your feedback i know what ill be up to this weekend :-)

white_lie
30-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Definately recommend using a clay bar before polishing the vehicle. Reduces swirls from polishing as it removes all the contaminents from the paint. But don't use it every wash or you'll just be taking your wax off.

The Meguiars seem popular but I think it's more their availability than anything else. The actual clay is very small for the cost! And you don't have to use the Quik Detailer with it, water or slightly soapy water in a spray bottle is fine. And do your windows with it as well!

VQ Cruiser
24-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Hey Guys

New to forum. Do you reccomend using the clay bar before or after a cut and polish? My paint needs a little love and want to get the clay bar onto it but not sure if it should be before or after cut and polish.

Cheers

white_lie
25-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Before the polish.
If you wash the car, dry it and then run your hand over it, it should feel like glass. If it doesn't, then use the clay bar to remove the surface contaminents. Then polish and then use a sealant/wax to protect the surface.

You shouldn't have to use the clay everytime you wash your car (and use a shampoo that is mild enough to leave the wax on the car).

quityabitchn
25-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Before the polish.
If you wash the car, dry it and then run your hand over it, it should feel like glass. If it doesn't, then use the clay bar to remove the surface contaminents. Then polish and then use a sealant/wax to protect the surface.

You shouldn't have to use the clay everytime you wash your car (and use a shampoo that is mild enough to leave the wax on the car).

a baby shampoo is good and it is mild for the paint as well.

VX15ANNIV
25-05-2010, 07:53 PM
How did you go CANT.CU with the clay bar, was it easier than you thought it would be to use, did you get that smooth as glass effect white lie mentioned??

XR8TEDVY2
30-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Ive tried the mothers clay bar but find the MMM clay bar the best. MMM is used by panel beaters as well sooo i guess that says something/ It costs alot more than your regular bar but comes up a treat.

dan08R8
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
I used the mothers clay bar on my clubbie today and I'm stoked with the results - works much better than any paint cleaner I've used in the past. The pack comes with two clay bars, detailing spray for lubricant and a nice microfibre cloth.

SPARGO
12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
wash car (2 bucket method with microfibre mitt)
dry
clay bar with clay lube (quik detailer) or a soapy water solution (car wash is ok
re-wash and dry.
Polish
wax

i found this site very useful http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/

recommended by my mate Cam at http://www.customcarcarewagga.com.au/

VQ Cruiser
28-06-2010, 06:43 PM
I also used the Mothers clay system, comes up smooth as. Was definitely happy with the results!

richo7502000
28-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Just bought a mothers clay bar system in time for the Nationals.... hoping to get good results!!!
Have heard they do great things, never used Mothers brand before, are they ok???

go sick
28-08-2010, 10:27 PM
hey richo have tryed handy andy its realy good for geting the dirt off a mate on here uses it all the time and says its great for taking all the shine off your car zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ha ha it must be a nzzzzzzzzzzzzz thing lol

zclubby
29-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Just coz you never thought of it...

Nothing like a bit of Kiwi ingenuity

go sick
29-08-2010, 05:09 PM
i will have to clean and polish one side and you do the handy andy on the other side and you be the judge lol ha ha

zclubby
29-08-2010, 05:54 PM
If I'm the judge, I will tell you now what wins without the hard work.

Genius

richo7502000
29-08-2010, 09:10 PM
i will have to clean and polish one side and you do the handy andy on the other side and you be the judge lol ha ha

Pffft I bet ya gotta repaint that side of the car much quicker.....I wont be puttin it close to my VY!!

zclubby
30-08-2010, 08:51 PM
How often do you have to repaint your floor richo??...Thought so

zig
31-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Just coz you never thought of it...

Nothing like a bit of Kiwi ingenuity

Yup,right up there with velcro gloves that one mate :D

GRANGE 427
06-09-2010, 05:31 PM
its fantastic