PDA

View Full Version : Full System For VY SS

johnnylord
13-02-2010, 02:49 PM
hey.

Im looking for more sound than my standard setup BUT i want to keep the stock look.

Is this possible??

I want to match the caprice systems sound without paying a truckload for it...Is there a way??

GTS1313
13-02-2010, 05:25 PM
JohhnyLord - Cheapest way is to remove the rear mufflers, next would be replace the mufflers with some straight through ones. Next would be a cats back 2 1/2 inch system. Others may have some other ideas. I have only ever taken the cats back route so I cant tell you what the sound or drone is like otherwise. I paid around $700 for my cats back stainless steel system from HM/Perry and mild steel will be cheaper. I bought mine off eBay from the same people that supply Walkinshaw with the same pipes.
Obviously a full system would include hi flow cats and extractors. How much do you want to spend is the question......

zclubby
13-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey GTS1313, I gues you missed the bit that said "Car Audio". However I do like your comments as I am cosidering a new exhaust.

Johnnylord, I have done exactly this in my VZ. It probably doesnt work out much cheaper but when someone sits in the car they would have no idea the punch it packs.

Hopefully you know a bit about install, otherwise this will be giberish to you.

Bearing in mind the standard holden units dont have rca pre outs.

You can get amplifiers with a high level input. This means you can connect the speaker wires directly into the amp as an input. This then allows you to run subs, decent speakers and the like.

There is a risk with this. Sometimes the amps will amplify the alternator noise which you cannot hear in the standard setup. Now this is luck of the draw with the amp, I believe there is no guarantee on weather you will avoid this with any particular brand of amp or dollar value.

However this can be reolved with a small converter box which costs $136 from Autobarn. This box converts your speaker wires into rca pre outs. It is 4 channel and fully adjustable to avoid alternator noise.
With my first amp, I didnt need it but my second amp required it. I reckon you buy one of these and the you can then purchase any amp on the market.

Then upgrade your speakers in the doors, add subs if you wish. All this will look no different in the car.

If you need any more info, let me know

GTS1313
14-02-2010, 10:32 AM
doh!:D
How embarrasment