PDA

View Full Version : Buying a HSV VY 2 SE in about 4 hours time

chukfu
27-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi All,

I'll be purchasing a VY 2 Clubsport SE in about 4 hours time!
Pretty excited as it's my first V8.

Question:
How do I tell, if its a genuine HSV motor? (besides the HSV plate thingy on the frame).
I mean, the motors look exactly like the SS motors, I can't tell the difference.
Just a paranoid question =)

Cheers,

Dave

macca33
27-01-2010, 08:28 AM
The VY2 SE had an LS1 motor, which was EXACTLY the same as the Holden cars at the time. The difference with the HSV, to get 285 flywheel kw, was to do with air intake / exhaust / specific PCM tune.

Just be sure that all the numbers match up correctly - a certificate of authenticity is always a good thing too!

cheers

GTS1313
27-01-2010, 11:21 AM
get is on a dyno and check the outputs. My VY2 Senator 285 had around 224 at the rear wheels. Other wise as Macca says, the engine looks the same.

go sick
27-01-2010, 11:43 AM
check the dash it will have hsv on it and the exhaust will have it to fire x will be in the boot on the right. under the front number plate well have hsv on it

chukfu
27-01-2010, 04:58 PM
I got the car, checked everything as per above, checked log books etc (has HSV Y Series 2 owners handbook), everything looks sweet. Very happy with the purchase!

I read somewhere, that some of these V8's had some manufactoring issues, something to do with the wrong piston size (due to not boring) and causing oil to burn. You guys know much about the history of that, and if it affects my car? Mines a 2004 HSV VY2 SE.

Cheers and thanks again!

chukfu
27-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh just a quick one...

What insurance do you guys go with?
I got quotes:
NRMA - $2300
Just Car - the same $2300

Honestly, I don't want to spend that much on insurance long term... I was thinking of getting a high quality security system or something and get 3rd party. People are telling me that holdens are the most stolen vehicles.

Comments?

GTS1313
27-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Congrats on the purchase and of course we need to see photo's.

It will depend on your age, living location etc, but I pay $1200 with all mods etc on policy through Shannons.

Re oil issues, I believe they were well sorted out by the VY2 range being built.

chukfu
27-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm 29 (30 this year), no claims in the last 5 years, and live in south west sydney (liverpool/fairfield council). I think its the area causing my premium to be so high?

My mate said try Budget Direct. I'll give them a call as well as Shannons. But $1200, wow thats cheap, but then I'm assuming your driving experience is longer than mine and probably no claims. =P

Will post pics soon in the appropiate thread =)

macca33
27-01-2010, 06:31 PM
I'd recommend Shannons - obviously you are asking to insure an HSV, but also tell them that you are a car enthusiast, member of HSV forum and participate in events - they like to provide cover for enthusiasts, so you have to tick the boxes.

cheers and remember to start a new thread with all the car details!

GTS1313
27-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm 29 (30 this year)

Yep that's nearly as long as I have been driving......:D

chukfu
27-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Yep that's nearly as long as I have been driving......:D
Maybe its the area, NSW premiums are ridiculous compared to other states.

I called Shannons... they said I need at least 12 months experience driving a high performance car! =(

I called Budget Direct, they don't insure this vehicle!

So I've got another quote with NRMA, Third Party Fire & Theft, $500. I might go with that if I can't find anything else... Not really concerned about having an accident, more concerned that it gets stolen!

chukfu
27-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Scrap my above post, for 3rd party and theft, they only pay $10,000 if its stolen!!! I knew there was a catch!

So I got 21 days free cover with NRMA, 21 days to decide on what insurance to get. I got full comp, with an excess of $1000, will cost $1995.58 per year. *sigh* Will be looking very hard for a cheaper quote! Surprisingly, thats cheaper than Justcar's quote of $2300.

If anyone knows of any cheaper insurance companies, to cover in NSW, please let me know =)

Stewiecasserole
27-01-2010, 09:48 PM
check the dash it will have hsv on it and the exhaust will have it to fire x will be in the boot on the right. under the front number plate well have hsv on it

Shit Pete have you pulled that thing apart or do you just really clean it well? :lol:

CANT.CU
27-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Good buy mate cant go wrong with a HSV good luck with it..

Stewiecasserole
27-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Scrap my above post, for 3rd party and theft, they only pay $10,000 if its stolen!!! I knew there was a catch!

So I got 21 days free cover with NRMA, 21 days to decide on what insurance to get. I got full comp, with an excess of $1000, will cost $1995.58 per year. *sigh* Will be looking very hard for a cheaper quote! Surprisingly, thats cheaper than Justcar's quote of $2300.

If anyone knows of any cheaper insurance companies, to cover in NSW, please let me know =)

Suncorp (in Vic) $1,221 with an $850 excess, rating 1 for life and nominated driver. Same as what I was paying for the V8 Caprice. I'm happy.:)

go sick
28-01-2010, 12:22 AM
mate i started with cgu $1030 then went to shannons for $800 hope that helps dude
ps stewie come on man you just have to get to no your ride mate and yes i do clean it a lot

Stewiecasserole
28-01-2010, 02:28 PM
mate i started with cgu $1030 then went to shannons for $800 hope that helps dude
ps stewie come on man you just have to get to no your ride mate and yes i do clean it a lot

I clean mine too but I haven't (as yet) had my head wedged into some of the places you obviously have. You've just extended my cleaning regiem ya bugger:mad:

Dezza
18-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Just wondering what the diffrence with the Vy Clubsport SE and the R8 are?

chukfu
06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Just wondering what the diffrence with the Vy Clubsport SE and the R8 are?

I think the main difference are the seats, and brakes?
R8 has leather, SE doesn't.
Not exactly 100% on the brakes, but I think they're diff.
The discs are both slotted.

akanives
07-07-2010, 12:00 PM
if it helps im with justcar.
first year might be a bit painful but after that can get a lot easier.
im 20 with 1 claim at fault and 1 claim not at fault in the past 5 years. live in decent area and i payed 1650 for the first year.
but after you have been with them for 12 months you get the option to "ad-JUST" lowering premium by raising excess. could be a tad risky but... anyway i now pay 1050 a year. this is offset by the possibility of a $3500 excess. $2000 for the hsv. $400 for male under the age of 21. $900 extra from the "ad-JUST" and the other $100 is standard excess.
so without the male under 21 bit your excess would be lower than mine and with no prior history you would have a cheaper (after state price comparison) premium.

one question that can change the premium majorly is..
"parking arrangement" if its parked on street they charge a lot higher. especially in an area they believe to be a "bad area"
mif its in open driveway is middle ground. a roof is better. but a full locked up shed will be cheaper..