PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bar Mods For Towbar

sstevo05
03-09-2009, 05:37 PM
G'day,

I have a VY II R8 Maloo.

It has the complete rear lower bumper centrepiece, which doesn't have a **** for a towbar.

Does anyone know if Holden/HSV have a part that replaces the centrepiece with one that contains room for the towbar, or is it up to me to cut it out on the original part??

Also, does anyone know the paint code for the gunmetal grey parts on the bumpers on VY II R8s?

Cheers :)

mix6000
04-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Hi, your paint codes will be on your compliance plate under your bonnet....& I'm afraid you'll need to cut that piece out for the towbar..Hey, & be carefull....cheers...

SLUG
04-09-2009, 06:42 AM
You will have to cut, but thankfully HSV provide a cut-out line on the inside of the bumper facia. Not sure about your model, but with my VE GTS unfortunately HSV do NOT provide a molding to finish the cut off. Different story with other Holdens. I actually spoke with HSV when I was fitting my towbar and their response was "there isn't a high demand for towbar fitment on HSV's".

grange250
04-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I had looked at getting one fitted to my WK and it was going to be expensive. The dealer said that there is a factory designed one that I was led to believe comes under the rear skirt. We got a cheap ute instead.
The bar alone was about $770 and then there was the fitting costs and provision of power etc. The WK does not have a push-out panel.
I have seen HSVs with bars that come through the rear skirt.

sstevo05
04-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

I don't plan to tow with the 'loo, just wanted a bar as a little extra protection against being hit in the rear. (or even some careless reversing!)

Im surprised that we have to cut the w**** ourselves, sounds a little amateurish if you ask me. Oh well, i guess HSV had their reasons.

I think i'll end up just buying another centrepiece (if you actually can without buying the w**** rear bar!) and have that on the car to accomodate the towbar.

As for the paint codes, the tag from memory just has the main body colour, I was after the code for the greyouts on bumper.

Does anyone know if the series 2 had darker greyouts than series 1? I have stock standard R8 wheels which look a lot darker grey than other R8s i have seen.

Cheers

mix6000
04-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I had an VY II Maloo R8 as well, it was black with silver accents....and both paint codes are on your compliance plate....they were on mine....cheers..:)..

jiffy
05-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi There,
I just recently installed a towbar on my VY clubby. I've been meaning to do a write up with pics, but haven't got around to it.

If you're adding a tow bar for a little crash protection, with no intention of towing, my advise is don't bother! It will cost you a little money, make your rear bar look worse and if someone rear ends you, you're still gonna trade paint anyway.

The rear bar is all one piece.

Yes, you have to cut it out yourself. There is a mark on the back though, which does make it easier. I tried a stanley knife... didn't work. Jigsaw would have torn it to pieces, so a coping saw and file was the go, worked a treat.

The bar isn't all that much fun to remove, so if you plan on doing it, let me know, I'll get my butt into gear with the write up.

The grey in the rear bar is not on your colour chart. This is a certified HSV colour. I forget the exact name of it, but I've got it written in my car somewhere. It's a PPG colour though so that means no spray cans, needs to be made up by a crash shop.

If you decide to go ahead, apart from the labour, it's not too bad, fairly cheap. I picked up the tow bar for $110. I then was going to install a flat plug ($26 including wire), but then decided to go the type that you hang out the boot. The round plug was $30 and the flat plug was $65. It fits neat and the towbar itself is dead easy to fit. It's just the bumper that's a pain.

murph_fan51
05-09-2009, 11:14 AM
I actually spoke with HSV when I was fitting my towbar and their response was "there isn't a high demand for towbar fitment on HSV's".
Which is rather silly! All the torque available in HSVs ideal for pulling boats and the like and HSV don't provide an allowance for a towbar! Crazy!

sstevo05
07-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the detailed answer Jiffy - think i will just can the idea and forget the towbar. Sounds like a nightmare.

I looked at my complaince plate and on the actual HSV plate it says :

PAINT : AG VY

and on the standard Holden plate :

PAINT : 687F

The maloo is red hot or hsv red or whatever they call it for VY II HSV red.

I went to Holden and they told me that HSV wouldnt allow them access to decipher what paint matched the paint codes so advised me to contact HSV themselves for more info.

Might just have to send them an email unless anyone can point me in the direction of paint code charts.

Cheers

murph_fan51
08-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Im sure a panel beater would easily be able to access this information?

jiffy
14-09-2009, 10:32 AM
OK, found the bit of paper from Holden.. it says;

Accent Grey
02- 0037
(PPG Colour)

SV90
14-09-2009, 11:35 AM
In my VX XU6, the last owner use to tow a boat. And didnt want the rear bar cut also. It cost extra but there is a plate under the bumper which a tow bar connects to and is held with 2 large bolts. I will take pics if you like, so you get a better idea. Inside the boot is the power cord for the trailer lights which can be taken out or put alont the bottom of the boot so it doesnt stick out. I havent seen one like it before, but is definitly much better than the cutout IMO.

sstevo05
15-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Just in case anyone was interested,i went to a panel beater this afternoon (after holden couldn't tell me the colour) and they made up a match right there and then for my VYII R8 bumper accents.

The 'beater reckons that the paint for the bumper accents is called 'shadow grey'. He also told me that every single model has a different coloured accent and it is only a guess that shadow grey is the correct colour name for this model.

Either way he made me up some bottles of matched paint to keep. And the bugger gave it to me for nothing too. God bless him. Great bloke.

Oh, and apparently only pre VY models have accent paint codes on the plates under the bonnet. The later ones only have main body colour. That is straight from the holden parts man's mouth.

Cheers guys

jiffy
21-09-2009, 03:42 AM
apparently only pre VY models have accent paint codes on the plates under the bonnet. The later ones only have main body colour. That is straight from the holden parts man's mouth.

That's what Holden told me too, but a quick call to a guy in HSV gave him the above paint codes.

HSV MAX
30-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I work at a Large toyota dealership as a Pre Delivery Tech, Holden is next door to us and we regularly fit tow bars to a few of there cars as they cant do it without screwing up the cut out ****, its cheaper to pay someone who knows what there doing than buying a new bar.If you can get hold of an Air hacksaw these work brilliantly, drill a 13mm **** in the middle of the cutout area and follow the lines with the air hacksaw, tape the front side of the bar to prevent scratches then file the rough edges, i personally use a length of 5mm rubber c channel to run around the edges as it looks heaps neater and will easily hide any boo boos, just a little dob of superglue in each corner will hold it

Bruce
22-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Well said HSV MAX

I bought my 2010 black E3 clubsport only two weeks ago and had a very neat tow bar fitted by Hi Tech (Lambros) at Darlinghurst, Sydney. Cost about $750 but it had virtually no protrusion without the towbar part in place and I had the electrical connection fitted just loose on a cable to be hidden in with spare tyre when not in use. Be careful that it has to have a special wiring harness to coordinate with the rear parking sensors and camera. Suggest leave it to the professionals.

Regards Bruce (new member - ps Hi One and All)

chukfu
03-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I got a Hitch tow bar fitted to my car last weekend for $500 total. They did a perfect job too, and it didn't look that hard... the air gun makes it 10 times easier tho, cause you have to undo and do bolts from the inside of your boot I.e. you need to remove the spare wheel etc to access the bolts. And cutting the **** in the bumper looked... straight forward, just follow the diagram on the back.

If I could be bothered to get off my lazy ***, I would have done it myself, but $500 I think is cheap.

Btw I bought a small little quintrexx 420 dory wide body, its a beauty! Will post pics when I get some time.

Stewiecasserole
03-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Can't resist Chuck and I'm not calling you a douche bag....it's just the funniest one I could find.......did they throw in a set of these?....
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0909/truck-nuts-speed-bag-the-douchebag-testicles-demotivational-poster-1253971794.jpg

carwrec
03-05-2011, 07:35 PM
I too had a VYII Maloo R8 in ultra violet ( quite rare ) and needed a towbar fitted for towing my builders trailer. like said above there is a line in the bumper where to cut, and I managed to get a local towbar place to cut it out neatly which they did indeed, very happy, Now we have a VZ Clubsport and guess what it came with a towbar which car yard never told me about till we got it home and found the tongue wrapped up in the boot, So I was happy and yes it bolts on underneath which is great so no bar is visible untill needed

chukfu
04-05-2011, 08:10 AM
LOL stewie thats gross mate! My car has enough balls for its daily use =)

drtmovr
18-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Does anyone know of some sort of cap you can place into the cut out peice if you want to remove the towbar for a while? I got the towbar as an extra when I bought the car and was told by the dealership that I could buy the complete black honeycomb insert for my bar when I didn't need the towbar anymore.....And a load of crap that was!...I'm thinking one of those black rubber push in bottom thingy's they use for steel box section......if you know what I mean...(or maybe not!)