PDA

View Full Version : Red Brake Calipers

GTS1313
29-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Normally I just use a sponge and soapy water to clean my wheels and brake calipers. However the calipers have what looks like excess fluid that has left black marks that don't want to wash off. Anyone got some ideas on how to get that stuff off?

PhanR8
29-08-2009, 09:54 AM
You may find it has eaten into the paint work some what.Brake fluid is quite acidic in its nature.You could try a cutting compound on it but if it doesn't come off easily then leave it or you could end up with a bigger mess than you have now.

murph_fan51
29-08-2009, 04:03 PM
^ Yep. Having to repaint them is not an easy task. Sanding, Priming and couple of coats of paint it can be done, but probably wont look as good as the factory look.

Is there something you can spray on to prevent corrosion? Like a CRC or something. A Degreaser???

SLUG
31-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Agree with PhanR8, if that doesn't work leave it. If it really bugs you I would buy a new caliper.

Murph fan51, I think you could probably spray it onto a rag and wipe it on. With the type of wheels and brake calipers we have on our cars, I reckon brake dust if left on more than two weeks will definately start corrosion in the slightest form. What I do, if it's crappy weather and I can't get to wash the car weekly I will at least give the wheels/brakes a decent hose down.

eldo59
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
How the hell do you clean the calipers without removing the wheels??
I've got those HSV BBS style wheels on my VZII maloo R8.

ERASER
03-09-2009, 06:26 PM
How the hell do you clean the calipers without removing the wheels??
I've got those HSV BBS style wheels on my VZII maloo R8.

You cant. Well not properly anyway. Whenever you wash your car get the sponge in behind the wheel and wash as much brake dust off as you can. But every so often you will have to remove the wheels and clean them properly. Aftre i clean mine i give them a good soaking of armoural as it leaves a greasey surface on the calipers and doesnt allow the dust to stick.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/carmino/my%20ute/wheelarches1.jpg

SLUG
04-09-2009, 06:49 AM
You cant. Well not properly anyway. Whenever you wash your car get the sponge in behind the wheel and wash as much brake dust off as you can. But every so often you will have to remove the wheels and clean them properly. Aftre i clean mine i give them a good soaking of armoural as it leaves a greasey surface on the calipers and doesnt allow the dust to stick.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/carmino/my%20ute/wheelarches1.jpg

Bloody clean wheel arches you have there ERASER! I do something similar and spray the tyres with tyre foam and a few minutes later wipe off the excess and wipe the wheels with the same rag to leave a slight film on the wheel.

LUST_364
09-12-2009, 02:04 PM
to clean mine ,first i spray them with water then use a tiny paint brush with normal car wash ,the paint brush is 1 inch and u can also buy 1/2 inch paint brushes too for harder to reach area's hope this helps

zclubby
09-12-2009, 10:40 PM
to clean mine ,first i spray them with water then use a tiny paint brush with normal car wash ,the paint brush is 1 inch and u can also buy 1/2 inch paint brushes too for harder to reach area's hope this helps

Thought you were going to say that you use a paint brush and red paint:D