PDA

View Full Version : E-Series Amp gain

BroHSV
28-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Hello.
Can someone assist all E-Series owners with tweaking up the stock Amp.
All I know is that its located infront of the battery in the boot - mounted onto a black plastic bracket. I could not see the gain knob & the HSV dealership mechanics don't know how to adjust it for me.
I heard that the level is set to 1/3 & that when you set it to 3/4 - the subs come to life. Can someone please give a step by step guide (preferably with pics) so we can all enjoy our 230w system that HSV supplied us :)

GJ227
29-05-2009, 02:54 PM
my sales rep did mine for me, he slipped his hand down to it, found the gain knob and tweaked it up, maybe try the rep oppossed to the service guys

GJ227

E-Series GTS
30-05-2009, 08:39 AM
There is a thread on here with pictures on how to do it but buggered if I can find it.

IanR8
30-05-2009, 12:52 PM
There is a thread on here with pictures on how to do it but buggered if I can find it.

There you go.

aLEX R8
30-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey mate theres only one knob that the amp has its a bit tricky to get to but. So just have your cars sound system going when your trying to turn the gain up and when you find the knob turn it anti clock wise and that should turn it up the subs to its full potential hope IanR8's pics help with what im trying to say. Good luck with it BroHSV

BroHSV
31-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Cool. You guys are legends. I will try adjusting the knob (Once I find it) & let you know the result :)

BroHSV
31-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey guys, I followed IanR8s pics & turned the knob anticlockwise as alexR8 pointed out & my subs came to life. Thanx so much guys. Its a very simple mod that anyone can do at home. You just use your finger to adjust the knob without even looking. Its on the bottom of the amp (not the bottom of the black plastic bracket) Have your soundsystem on & listen to the change in sound. Thanks guys & I hope this helps others :)

DVS-06L
02-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey guys, I followed IanR8s pics & turned the knob anticlockwise as alexR8 pointed out & my subs came to life. Thanx so much guys. Its a very simple mod that anyone can do at home. You just use your finger to adjust the knob without even looking. Its on the bottom of the amp (not the bottom of the black plastic bracket) Have your soundsystem on & listen to the change in sound. Thanks guys & I hope this helps others :)

Is it just a matter of turning the knob until you are happy with the sound or is there a specific amount of turns or notches to turn it?

Will the standard subs handle it? (sorry sounds systems not my thing)

aLEX R8
02-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Is it just a matter of turning the knob until you are happy with the sound or is there a specific amount of turns or notches to turn it?

Will the standard subs handle it? (sorry sounds systems not my thing)

Theres no notches or anything its just until your happy. and the sound system can sure handle it just dont do my mistake and turn it up alot then adjust the subs cause i blew my right sub and got to go back to HSV and replace it...:(

E-Series GTS
02-06-2009, 05:25 PM
So what's the go? Turn the volume up pretty loud then adjust the gain?

white_lie
02-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Yes, that how you should always adjust an amp, never set the gain on low volume. Turn it up around 3/4 on the deck, then turn the gain up until it distorts, then back it off a touch.

aLEX R8
02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
So what's the go? Turn the volume up pretty loud then adjust the gain?

Sorry mate i must have worded it bad.. Dont turn the volume up all the way bout 3/4 of the way then turn up the gain and when you hear distortion back off the gain just a bit.

Corry
02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Not sure if the Senators are adjusted from factory or not, but I pulled the lining away this arvo, and adjusted the amp, and there was very little difference to how it was. Turned up and down, it is definitely turned the right way.
The system has always sounded pretty good, might have been adjusted from factory that way. The dealership here didn't get any time to adjust it when it was delivered.

Cheers
Corry

LS3 050
03-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I checked mine out today, and increased the gain, Well spotted guys (be handy if the dealers let us know about this) -
I now have a question as to how you adjust the BASS and TREBLE on the stereo head unit. When i go to AUDIO settings to make adjustments, all other functions (balance, fader etc) are listed in RED and i can adjust them, but the BASS and TREBLE are illuminated GRAY and i cant adjust them, Is this the same for anyone else?? Does anyone know why?? I've looked through the owners manual and it shows you can alter these settings, but i cannot get the menu to recognise the BASS and TREBLE settings?? :confused: :(

IanR8
03-06-2009, 10:59 PM
I checked mine out today, and increased the gain, Well spotted guys (be handy if the dealers let us know about this) -
I now have a question as to how you adjust the BASS and TREBLE on the stereo head unit. When i go to AUDIO settings to make adjustments, all other functions (balance, fader etc) are listed in RED and i can adjust them, but the BASS and TREBLE are illuminated GRAY and i cant adjust them, Is this the same for anyone else?? Does anyone know why?? I've looked through the owners manual and it shows you can alter these settings, but i cannot get the menu to recognise the BASS and TREBLE settings?? :confused: :(

To use the Treble and the Bass you need to turn the Equalizer to Off (Not on Rock, Jazz Etc), then you can adjust it, and it sounds better.

LS3 050
04-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Ahhhhhhh, Thats better!!! Thanks for the help Ian R8.
I had always thought HSV were being over the top calling it a "PREMIUM" 11 speaker stereo system, when beforehand it sounded so ordinary. This has finally brought it to life.

I know its still nowhere near the quality of a top brand unit, but why dont they have it set right on delivery?? Or instructions on how to do this?? I bet 90% of ve owners with this system wouldn't have it set how it should be!!

aLEX R8
04-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I had always thought HSV were being over the top calling it a "PREMIUM" 11 speaker stereo system, when beforehand it sounded so ordinary. This has finally brought it to life.

I know its still nowhere near the quality of a top brand unit, but why dont they have it set right on delivery?? Or instructions on how to do this?? I bet 90% of ve owners with this system wouldn't have it set how it should be!!

Mate your right, when i got my R8 i seriously thought is this it with the '11 speaker premium sound system' :( then the gain got turned up and it really has brought the system to life.

IanR8
04-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Mate,

Not a problem that's what we are all here for.

Glad to help.

Ian

Mabo
05-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Can you guy help me out.Doe's the maloo ute have this amp as well.The battery is behind the passager seat and make it hard to feel or see the amp.Thank you

LS3 050
05-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Can you guy help me out.Doe's the maloo ute have this amp as well.The battery is behind the passager seat and make it hard to feel or see the amp.Thank you

If you check out the previous topic "11 speakers where are they" its mentioned in there - I belive the answer is no the maloo has no amp or sub.

Stewiecasserole
24-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I've tried to find the amp gain knob in my VE Grange but can't. Read all the posts and seen IanR8's pics but to no avail. The Grange runs a Bose system and the amp is metalic and ribbed - couldn't spot the similarity on the posted pics. Am I out of luck? I can't get my fingers under the bottom corner on the wheel arch though - is this where the knob is?:confused:

LS3 050
24-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Your Grange may have an updated stereo if it has a Bose system. As far as Im aware all other HSV/holdens have the Blaupunkt system. The position of the amp control knob on the Blaupunkt system is difficult to reach also, and you can only "feel" your way to the knob - you cant position yourself in the boot in any way to see it. In saying that i dont know if the Bose amp is the same or not.

Stewiecasserole
24-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Your Grange may have an updated stereo if it has a Bose system. As far as Im aware all other HSV/holdens have the Blaupunkt system. The position of the amp control knob on the Blaupunkt system is difficult to reach also, and you can only "feel" your way to the knob - you cant position yourself in the boot in any way to see it. In saying that i dont know if the Bose amp is the same or not.

Got that right about looking at it, I can barely see the top yet alone the underside. Anyway thanks for your input. I suppose the dealer may be helpful but I'm so time poor. :(

Stewbaru
12-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Thx for the tip guys.
I was looking at big $ upgrades of speakers, now I can try this at home before shelling out.

Oh, nice forum BTW.

joe1@ozemail.com.au
12-05-2010, 09:21 AM
hey guys can the amp be replaced ? with a bigger

Stewiecasserole
12-05-2010, 11:48 AM
hey guys can the amp be replaced ? with a bigger

Sh!t yeah. Just google audio joints near your home and get to it.

Omarko
23-07-2010, 07:21 AM
where are the subwoofers located on the HSV Senator range ?

also, how easy is it to access the amp? any tools required or just pull the cover off ?

wilsn
24-07-2010, 05:53 PM
I have tried adjusting mine, but i seem to get much more bass when turning clockwise, not anti clockwise as mentioned in this thread?
Does anyone know if this is right?
Also is it only the 2 x rear subs that are connected to this amp?

IanR8
24-07-2010, 07:30 PM
I have tried adjusting mine, but i seem to get much more bass when turning clockwise, not anti clockwise as mentioned in this thread?
Does anyone know if this is right?
Also is it only the 2 x rear subs that are connected to this amp?

Yep, turning it clockwise will increase the power to the Subs, and yes the Amp only powers the Subs.

wilsn
25-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Yep, turning it clockwise will increase the power to the Subs, and yes the Amp only powers the Subs.

Thanks for the reply.
Do you have your's set to about 3/4?

CLB020
30-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Have only had my R8 VE2 a month and thought the sound was only OK so this is great to read and worth a try

Have 1 query though, at the beginning of the thread it says turn the knob "anti-clockwise" and at the end of the thread it says turn the knob "clockwise", which is correct or have there been different Amps in different models that are adjusted differently?

IanR8
31-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Do you have your's set to about 3/4?

Not any anymore, I replaced the door speakers with Focal K2 165KRX2 front and 165KRC rear, replaced the subs with better 8" subs, all powered by two MB Quart Amps.

Cheers,

Ian

HSVE01
31-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Not any anymore, I replaced the door speakers with Focal K2 165KRX2 front and 165KRC rear, replaced the subs with better 8" subs, all powered by two MB Quart Amps.

Cheers,

Ian

and??? How much better is it???

IanR8
31-08-2010, 09:21 PM
and??? How much better is it???

Well with the Focal speakers there is no comparison to the original speakers the Focalís are great. With the 8Ē subs, they would be better if they were in a box, but Iím still running them off the back shelf, but even so the original subs are only rated to 50 watts these are 300 watts each. Put it this way the whole boot and spoiler is moving when it cranked up. Great Bass without the Doof Doof.

Cheers,

Ian

Corry
03-09-2010, 11:09 AM
How is the factory head unit rated, is it good to fit aftermarket speakers, subs and amps and can it drive them? Bit of a pain having all the climate control and sh!t in the head unit.
Guess I could use the head unit and have all the other speakers come from amps and not the head unit.
Might have a chat to Maroochy Car Sound and see what they are doing with these nowadays, they got a good web site with some top installs to their name so far.

Cheers
Corry

WE44PN
08-03-2011, 06:44 PM
hey guys i tried to locate it but i cant see no amp... behind the battery theres like a black plastic cover with something behind it, like a small box? is that the amp? if so its small

also did u guys do it without taking those boot carpet pieces?? because i have no idea how to take it off

Stewbaru
09-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Yep, thats the amp.

I took cargo net screws out, removed plastic liner boot lip, removed plugs retraining LHS moulded carpet, folded myself into a pretzel and turned it up.

Worked a treat!

Stewbaru
09-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Cheers,

Ian

What signal did you use to feed the Amp, the hi level Amp inputs (from the radio) or the amplified outputs?

Sniper
09-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Ian R8 has it sussed. . . there is nothing that's much better than the Focals. . . . and the Sub upgrade is a must. . . .I have used a single Focal AMP . . . but thats up for conjecture

the door speakers in a stock VE (whatever Spec) are pretty much the same as used in the VR. . . . 18 years ago

E3GTS4me
06-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Ian R8 has it sussed. . . there is nothing that's much better than the Focals. . . . and the Sub upgrade is a must. . . .I have used a single Focal AMP . . . but thats up for conjecture

the door speakers in a stock VE (whatever Spec) are pretty much the same as used in the VR. . . . 18 years ago

Can I ask who did the upgrade for you Sniper??

VTi_b0i
23-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Where is the amp on the Maloo? Lol it appears I have subs but they don't work?

neil73
25-06-2011, 10:46 PM
does any one know if this is the same for the E3 gts, before i rip the boot apart,

does the boot casing come off easy??

LS3 050
26-06-2011, 05:37 PM
does any one know if this is the same for the E3 gts, before i rip the boot apart,

does the boot casing come off easy??

It would be located in the same spot in the e3, and it's not too difficult lifting the carpet panels out to get to it.

Andrew_02
26-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Without looking you put your hand up where from the back and you do this with 3/4 sound on, thats lots of power.
My rears are all base fully crap for anyone sitting in the back seats. I had a half a#@ attempt to adjust the amp in my E3 Grange the rear power outlet and huge battery make it a bit hard, i might try to remove the seat back and come in from the front more sy style and i like to see what im doing. My sound is good, only way i can fix the rear sound is turn off the surround sound, them the sound is average in the front

neil73
02-07-2011, 04:06 PM
ok,.. so ive found the amp gain button in the E3GTS. didnt have to rip the boot apart, just took out the plugs that hols the cargo net, pulled the boot base carper out,. and just the 2 plugs at the top near the battery. that gave me enough play to get my hands under the carpet.

now the bit i need help with. I turned it one way, sat in the car, playing metallica, then turned it another way,. could really spot the difference.

i wasnt sure how much the nob turned, i take it does about 270 degree turn? also i had the fader set to full rear speaker.

i think it sounds better, but dont know if its by much. where do you guys have your equaliser/fader settings?

ive put it back together and will see how it sounds for the week. i got the owners handbook out and it says nothing in there..

cheers for the help

ash84
16-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I just removed my battery and the brackets holding the amp in then turned it up and re-secured it all. Took my about 30mins and its very very easy.

Senator01
16-07-2011, 07:17 PM
.... where do you guys have your equaliser/fader settings?

Neil, really your personal choice. Some like it Bassy, some not so. As a start or reference point, set the EQ to the preset Rock position - this tends to be relatively Bassy. Set your Amp gain to get the right sound as you sit in the car with doors closed - play a song with alot of bass to get an aidea of what you want, then go from there.
I know that different bands/genre's have different bass settings so for one CD it may sound great, but for another it might not. ..... AC/DC versus Blackeyed Peas as an example. Different recording levels and Bass notes.. take your time and try each setting for a period to get what you want, however bear in mind the speaker quality from standard is not the greatest.

Wrt Fader, I set it at 2 toward the rear ... just sounds better for me in the front

IanR8
16-07-2011, 08:18 PM
ok,.. so ive found the amp gain button in the E3GTS. didnt have to rip the boot apart, just took out the plugs that hols the cargo net, pulled the boot base carper out,. and just the 2 plugs at the top near the battery. that gave me enough play to get my hands under the carpet.

now the bit i need help with. I turned it one way, sat in the car, playing metallica, then turned it another way,. could really spot the difference.

i wasnt sure how much the nob turned, i take it does about 270 degree turn? also i had the fader set to full rear speaker.

i think it sounds better, but dont know if its by much. where do you guys have your equaliser/fader settings?

ive put it back together and will see how it sounds for the week. i got the owners handbook out and it says nothing in there..

cheers for the help

Mate,

To get the best out of the system ensure that you turn the Equalizer to Off (Not on Rock, Jazz Etc), then you can adjust it using the Treble and the Bass. Heaps better result.

Cheers,

neil73
16-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks mate. That's what I've done. Bass is like 12. Mid is like -5 treble is like -1, with fader 2 rear. Still not bass enough, have played with the mid a fair bit, but if it's turned too low, then you loose all the mid, along with fader, full rear looses too much mid too.

Where do u have your set. I think I need to get the amp out, pretty hard to listen, whilst your adjusting in then boot.

IanR8
17-07-2011, 03:28 AM
Thanks mate. That's what I've done. Bass is like 12. Mid is like -5 treble is like -1, with fader 2 rear. Still not bass enough, have played with the mid a fair bit, but if it's turned too low, then you loose all the mid, along with fader, full rear looses too much mid too.

Where do u have your set. I think I need to get the amp out, pretty hard to listen, whilst your adjusting in then boot.

Well I've upgraded the whole system with Focal Speakers, Image Dynamics 8" Subs and MB Quart Amps, so I'm not much help to you there.

Smithers_73
17-07-2011, 07:16 AM

I would suggest that when you adjust the gain on your amp you have the eq off (as stated above) and all other settings set to zero. Then turn the system up to about 3/4 and then adjust the gain up until it starts to distort and when you get to that point, back the gain off a little till there is no distortion and then adjust, treble, bass etc from there.