PDA

View Full Version : what to get now

richo7502000
24-04-2009, 09:32 PM
hi, have got my VS series I clubby, that I love, and I am looking at getting a second newer HSV I am looking at spending around 30,000+. I am thinking either VXII R8, VYII R8, or VZ series Clubsport, but would really love SV300 VXII , or any GTS VX onward, I would also consider VZ Senator. What is a better buy and for what reasons, I want big brakes, good power output (standard), and a good allround looking package. I prefer R8's for better seats and bigger brakes I guess. Any educated reasons why I should go for a particular model....woule be appreciated.

white_lie
25-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I'd look at VX GTS's, great all round package and should be able to pick one up around 30k at the moment. Other than that, perhaps a 6L VZ Clubby but I've never really been a fan of the other clubbys. Maybe it's just due to how common they are.
Be warned with the Callaway motors though, the cams and valve springs are faulty from the factory and you're very likely to have problems with them. A cam swap and stiffer springs will sort it out, but just be prepared for it if you are seriously looking at buying any of the 300kW motors.

CANT.CU
25-04-2009, 12:01 PM
hi richo i have had a 04 VY R8 for the last 3 years and have been very happy with it.. make sure you go R8 there are such a big differ between a standard and r8.. At the end of the day your buying HSV so does not matter which one they are all great..

richo7502000
27-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd look at VX GTS's, great all round package and should be able to pick one up around 30k at the moment.
Be warned with the Callaway motors though, the cams and valve springs are faulty from the factory and you're very likely to have problems with them. A cam swap and stiffer springs will sort it out, but just be prepared for it if you are seriously looking at buying any of the 300kW motors.

What happens withy the Cam and springs on the 300KW callaway's? , is it a terminal engine problem or does the top of the cam wear gradually off requiring JUST them to be replaced..???

macca33
27-04-2009, 08:21 PM
What happens withy the Cam and springs on the 300KW callaway's? , is it a terminal engine problem or does the top of the cam wear gradually off requiring JUST them to be replaced..???

There is plenty of info on the ls1.com.au site.

I have also explained the situation to one other bloke on here who has a GTS - see this post:-

http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showpost.php?p=20916&postcount=13

cheers,

macca

richo7502000
01-05-2009, 06:41 AM
I went and looked at some VYII R8's the other day and they are pretty much what I am looking for, they seem to have good seats, brakes, reasonable suspension etc so I would assume them to be a good package???

senatorVIII
03-05-2009, 03:18 AM
I was pulled up at a set of traffic lights behind a VT HSV and a VZ HSV sitting side by side. The comparison on just the shape and looks alone was massive. It made the older shaped platform look very outdated. When they are standing alone they can still look great, but put them next to each other and the newer shape wins hands down.
Even when i look at the SV300s now they look average, but at the time when they came out they were awesome(my neighbour had one).
Personally i would be going for the VY/VZ shaped vehicle out of your selections. And if i were to be looking at a VX, i would only consider a 2door GTS, the way the GTS was meant to be.
So out of your list i would prefer to go in this order:
VZ Senator
VX GTS Coupe
VZ Clubsport R8
VY Clubsport R8
VX R8 or SV300

Would also be opting towards a 6L in front of a 5.7L

richo7502000
04-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Personally i would be going for the VY/VZ shaped vehicle out of your selections. And if i were to be looking at a VX, i would only consider a 2door GTS, the way the GTS was meant to be.
So out of your list i would prefer to go in this order:
VZ Senator
VX GTS Coupe
VZ Clubsport R8
VY Clubsport R8
VX R8 or SV300

Would also be opting towards a 6L in front of a 5.7L

I have been looking about at car yards a bit more now and agree that the VT/VX platforms are a little dated looks wise compared to VY and VZ ones. I also prefer the VY onwards dash layouts much more too!
My price range will allow for the VZ Senator, or for a VZ clubby (proably a stretch for an R8 VZ though), VYII R8 Clubsport is easily affordable, and the VX R8 likewise. Most VX GTS even 4 doors are a tad expensive still, and the SV300 are also still a bit high. The VX GTO 2 door's look good and are available in my budget. So far I love the VZ and VY senators, and I really love the VYII R8 I like the idea of the 6.0 litre in VZ and wonder if I should just go for a Clubby (not the R8) but they look a bit plain like an SS in many ways I think.

HSVGTS125
05-05-2009, 08:19 AM
VT-VZ are the same platform although i understand the point that is being made (updated/ refined models)

VZ Senator is a nice car, only thing i hated is looking through the grille, can see mounting brackets etc. looks cheap. And the rear wing doesn't flow quite as nice as the earlier VT model.
The sharp look of the VY/ Z is a very nice look. Dash is definately an improvement too.
I had a VT series 2 Senator Signature (sold it last yr for $16000 with 60000km) Had the 4 piston Brakes (front and rear) and i put super low suspension in it. car looked dated until i put the VY2 Signature 19s on it and Monaro headlights. If it was a manual I reckon i would of kept it. This was just before i sold her

richo7502000
15-05-2009, 08:54 PM
well guys, I just put a deposit today on a VYII R8 Clubby with 52,000km on it. Its Red and in great condition, hope finance comes through soon, so I will have it at home...... cheers Richo

go sick
16-05-2009, 01:45 AM
well done mate the red one`s go sick

CANT.CU
16-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Good choice richo you will love it