PDA

View Full Version : VX 2 or VY clubsport

dun-yesti
25-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi fellas im in the market for a hsv. I am up grading from a VT 2 gen 3 calais which i have had a bucket load of trouble with ( mainly oil leaks) to either a vx 2 or vy so i want to know which will have less renowed problems as the vt seemed to have had. Looking at spending 20 to 22 G any advise would be great.

club255
26-03-2009, 11:17 AM
i also had troubles with my VT2 calais, i upgraded to a vx2 clubby and having nuthin but trouble with it at the moment:( dont get me wrong a vx2 clubby is a good car i think i just bought a lemon. i think a vy would probs be the way 2 go but you have 2 spend a bit more for a vy, but personal prefrence.

white_lie
26-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I agree, save a little more and go with the VY. Preferably a Series 2 R8 if you can, the extra's are well worth a bit more in the initial outlay.

vyclubby
26-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Go the VY. The VY interior and dash shits all over a VX.

dun-yesti
27-03-2009, 04:24 PM
thanks for your input yer the vy interior looks heaps better but my main concern is any common faults that will cost me thousands down the track i want say if i get a ehaust and tune will i blow the gearbox. I heard the vx 2 gear boxes wear out quick is this true and if so does the vy have the same gearbox any advise is much appreciated.

white_lie
27-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Manuals are all the same. VY2's have got the 4L65e where as the earlier models were the 4L60e. The earlier box is a decent amount weaker than the 65 but they're still not overly strong in stock form. If you put a big tranny cooler on it, it will be fine with an exhaust and tune. I'm putting 370kW thru mine. It died the day after delivery but the new box has been good (touch wood). That's a 4L60e but the GTS box was supposedly beefed up a little.

UkyHSV
27-03-2009, 09:12 PM
nothing wrong with my Vx mate, shes a gem. The vy is going to be better value obviously because its a newer model and the oiling problems with the gen3 have been ironed out as this was a major problem for VT series 2. I personally didnt like the shape. As with the gearboxes, any major power mods like forced induction or massive cams will kill them, unless you beef them up, and I don't see an exhaust and tune being a problem for the 4l60e or the 4l65e, as these are pretty basic mods. However, it wouldn't hurt to look at getting the gearbox strengthened, as you probably wont stop at just an exhaust and tune haha :D

dun-yesti
27-03-2009, 10:23 PM
sorry to disapoint you fellas but i am talking auto gear box. my wife will be driving this the clubby the most and she has a bung left shoulder so i have to compromise on a auto. but there is a red vx 2 clubby on carsales.com thats nicely priced at 19800 which has done 100,000km and he has already replaced the gearbox, reckons they wear out quickly, sounds like he has flogged it to me

white_lie
27-03-2009, 11:06 PM
They don't really "wear out" quickly, but they don't like heat or treating them like they're something they're not. Downshifting them like a manual will nuke these boxes in no time. As I said before, invest in the biggest cooler you can find (and regularly change the fluid) and it will live a decent life. If its a stock car and the box has gone in under 100,000kms, then yes, it has been flogged or neglected.

Nothing wrong with auto's though, I originally wanted a manual coupe, but settled on the auto sedan. With the right mods, they have no problem running good times.

macca33
28-03-2009, 10:34 AM
As with any auto, they need a proper cooler fitted and to be serviced on a regular basis.

cheers,

Macca

dun-yesti
28-03-2009, 12:57 PM
thankyou for the information guys you have saved me some future headaches. cheers.