PDA

View Full Version : High K's HSV?

ascottaudio
13-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi..I was looking for some thoughts on buying a HSV with high K's..I know the primary thing is..how the car is treated and maintaned...but apart from wear and tear..what should one check for?..
If every thing seems ok should I be worried about high K's?..
The car in question is a VTll Senator GEN3 with 222K's on the clock..at $12K..its seems cheap..but it wouldnt end up cheap if ends up as a money pit..
I would like to hear from anyone with a high K's HSV that can give me a heads up on weather its a good way to go..or not.

Thanks.

matty_28
22-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Mate,

The first thing to try & find out is how the K’s were accumulated, if your buying it from someone who lives country, chances are they are mostly highway K’s & I wouldn’t have a problem buying it.

I bought my VT Clubby with about 155,000 on the clock which is a few, but for a 10 year old car, isn’t too bad. I also found out that the previous owner used it for work runs between NSW & QLD. So I was glad that the car wasn’t ‘thrashed’ they were mostly highway K’s (great fuel economy in 6th gear).

When I got it back to ADL (where I live) I had a reliable mechanic go over the whole car & had a $2000 service on it. Brakes, coolant, water pump, suspension arms ect… The mechanic told me that the damage was due to mostly general wear & tare and not being serviced correctly by mechanics previous not because the car was mistreated by the previous owner.

You’ll defiantly find cars with higher K’s are cheaper, that’s a given. The one piece of advise I can give about owning a car with high K’s is that don’t buy it, then change your mind & try and sell it. Make sure it’s what you want or you’ll loose money!

I owned a 2003 VY Calais with 170,000 on the clock & it wasn’t really what I wanted, I jumped into buying it for $21000 then sold it 6 months later for $17000.

If you treat it with TLC don’t do dodgy backyard jobs there’s no reason it wont last you for 10 years doing over 300, 000 +.

Good luck mate,

macca33
22-05-2009, 06:28 PM
**Generally** you'd find that the HSV cars are bought by people who look after them, however, with a high kilometre, older car, it may have passed through several hands. So, the less owners the better and also look for a strong/continuous service history.

If the car drives well and seems to do what it is supposed to do, coupled with a good history, it is probably not a bad buy.

It would definitely pay to get it checked out by an independent mechanic to be on the safe side.

Good luck.

cheers,

Macca

grange250
28-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Look at the Service Log. If the servicing has been done by an HSV dealer, your chances of everything being done should be good. My Grange had 75,000 in three years. With my job, I've done more than that in two years but the service records show everything that has been done. If money was spent when it should have been, you should not have a worry. if no books, keep well clear.

white_lie
29-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Its not really high kms for a VT though is it? What year is it `99? That's 10 years, i'd say the average for a daily driver is 20-25,000kms per year, so its in the ball park really. Only thing i'd be concerned about with VT LS1's is piston slap and oil consumption. They were the worst of the lot.

HSVGTS125
30-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Even if it "looks" to be in good condition just remember that the car has still covered 222000km. So be prepared to spend money.

I dont think I'd pay $12k for a car with those km because there is enough cars for similar money and with far less km.

For example, I sold my Burgundy VT11 Senator Signature (which had the 343mm/ 315mm rotors and 4 piston calipers plus 19" VY Signatures) in June for $16k and it was in mint condition. It had less than 70,000km.