PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide which one..

ascottaudio
20-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi..after owning imports for quite a while I am coming back to the fold ..I have a bugget of around 14K.. here are a few things I would like to know from owners:

1) I have seen a few really nice well priced VT 5.0 clubsports but have read that I am better off to get a gen3 VX...is there really a big difference?

2) Will a manual cluby save me much on fuel over an auto?

3) Is there much difference between a cluby and an ss?

Thanks

Scott

HRDHSV
20-02-2009, 12:13 PM
A VX HSV would be better with the gen3 if you want to make some decent power down the track, there is alot of differance going from a 5.0L to a 5.7L gen3 as i owened a VT clubbie before i got the VX and the VX does crap on it a little, i dont mind VT's but VX's also look so much better, but for 14k you would be presses to find a VX without a heap of milage on it, manual will be better on fuel slightly but all depends how much your foot touches the ground:D, an SS is really a poor mans clubbie, i would stick to the HSV mate;):D

go sick
20-02-2009, 01:58 PM
hi mate i wood go for ser2 6speed also try uniquecars.com have seen sum vx's on thair starting from 15000 ps r8's go sick

HSV271
20-02-2009, 03:27 PM
1). VX gen3 all the way, even though I love the 5.0 the gen3's are just so easy to tune/fix. Hell, even a new(crate motor) is just over 3K.

2). Auto or manual is dependant of the appendage of your right leg(i.e your foot) and how hard you press the gas.http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa307/HSV271/Fun/ca46d3f0.gif

3). There was a huge debate on here about which is best(HSV/SS), personally I would go for a HSV hands down. Others would say... buy a SS and modify it to be even better than a HSV, which is also valid... in the end what do you want.

Anyway... just my 2c... :razz:

sorry officer
20-02-2009, 04:09 PM
1. in my personal opinion, the VX is a huge step up from the VT, not only in the gen III but also in styling and overall design

2. auto or manual is more about persoanl taste then fuel efficiency; i would have prefered a manual as i like to be more involved in the drive, but many people that live in the city prefer autos. Fuel is more about how u drive then what transmission u have.

3. Clubby is basically an SS that has been improved just slightly, in almost every way. If your picky about your cars, definitly go HSV... if u just want something to have some fun in, maybe an SS is more for u

hope this helps a little ;) hope all goes well

ERASER
20-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi..after owning imports for quite a while I am coming back to the fold ..I have a bugget of around 14K.. here are a few things I would like to know from owners:

If i were in your shoes, with that budget id stay away from a vt/vx clubbie. Youd be buying a high milage car thats been thrashed and would probably give you a bunch of headaches. Wouldnt realy be a nice introduction into buying a HSV. BUT 14Kwould buy you a dame nice VS GTS or a lovingly looked after vr/s clubby. Get a nice original one and realy stand out has these cars are geting few and far between now a days.
If your heart is set on a vt/x stick with an SS as thats more in your price range for a decent car.

UkyHSV
20-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I agree that the Vx HSV with the 5.7l is a great car, and as they say, the LS1 genIII responds very well to minor mods. So +1 for the Vx! whether it be an ss or otherwise, grab a genIII

BROCKR
21-02-2009, 02:20 AM
I agree with eraser, better off to get a good 1 of those models than later model with a shit load of k's

nonchalant
21-02-2009, 08:54 AM
I also tossed up between a HSV and an SS prior to purchase but in the end HSV won out (though deep down I always knew it would lol). My reasons were:

HSV means 'something special'. Its built to race.

SS simply means 'worked V8' and their as common as Holden Utes these days (well almost).

As someone else here said - an SS is seen as a poor man's clubby. But really its not even in the same league. If I was to go for an SS it would have only been due to cost and thats the bottom line.

If you want a performance vehicle go for a HSV. All round its the better car.

Chris75
21-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Don't forget the VTII Clubbies. I actually prefer the look of the VT over the VX which is why I bought mine. It wasn't a money issue. Getting hard to find nice ones now though.
I was also looking at VY SS's and I still thought the VTII Clubby was a better option.

ascottaudio
21-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all of the helpful comments..funny thing is..I am now looking at two options ..at this stage..a VTll R8 ..manual with leather ..around 150 K's..it going for 16K..
Or a VY ss..I have seen a couple for around the same price..I am leaning more toward the clubby..it will probably come down to the individual car..after looking at a lot of cars..I also tend to favour the look of the VTll cluby..
I dont know if it just me..but VT clubies seem to look better in Black...VY SS's seem to look better in silver and white..

Thanks.