PDA

View Full Version : First HSV - Clubsport Z-Series

nonchalant
20-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Hi all,

Great forum. Some very informative posts here :)

Picked up my first HSV on the weekend. Clubsport VZ '05, and Im absolutely wrapped with this vehicle all round!

Aussies really know how to stick it to the them when it comes to building cars :cool:

Been 15 years since my last performance vehicle (Torana). Holden has certainly come a long way since then. The HSV's are world-class rides.

Hope to be able to add some helpful content here soon.

HSV271
20-01-2009, 10:04 AM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa307/HSV271/Fun/eb4176b3.gif Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy yourself... post some pics of your ride when you get a chance.

HRDHSV
20-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Welcome along mate, nice rig the VZ, get some picks up when you can:)

nonchalant
20-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Here she is.. :)

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss135/dscomp123/clubz.jpg

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss135/dscomp123/julie038.jpg

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss135/dscomp123/julie039.jpg

HSVDKB
20-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Very nice machine. My last HSV was a VZ clubby and I really enjoyed it, a little bit of tweaking really wakes the LS2 up. :)

nonchalant
20-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Yea, Ive been told it has standard headers fitted, so shes a bit quiet at idle. Kick her in the guts a bit though & her pedigree shows through :D

Ive had to mortgage my left nut to get my name on the registration plates so Im a bit strapped for cash atm, but an exhaust upgrade & cold air intake are already on my list of things to do. So what do you guys recommend - extractors? performance headers? stainless? Im a bit unsure as to my options.

Also, she has a lot of black leather inside. A friend reckons even the dash is leather. Any ideas if this is possible or should I just take it to a detailer to find out for sure? Its come with original books but that doesnt shed any light other than to say "if its vinyl clean with blah and if its leather clean like so.."

HSVDKB
20-01-2009, 09:25 PM
You will find it really enjoyable in std form but when the funds allow a few modifications will take it to a new level.

The LS2 in the VZ has std exhaust manifolds so extractors are a good place to start. As I'm in NZ I got rid of the cats but you will need to put in some better flowing ones. Then a nice sounding higher flowing exhaust system. A CAI and a tune and you will have something even more special than you have now.

Dash is not leather so any good vinyl treatment cleaner will keep it looking smick

nonchalant
20-01-2009, 09:34 PM
You will find it really enjoyable in std form but when the funds allow a few modifications will take it to a new level.

Yea, its very satisfying to drive atm but the thought of what a difference a few mods would make gets me grinning from ear to ear lol..

A CAI and a tune and you will have something even more special than you have now. Excuse me for being dumb, but whats a CAI?

Dash is not leather so any good vinyl treatment cleaner will keep it looking smick

Yea no prob. I'll steer clear of anything that might remove its matt finish. Thanks for your advice :)

HSVDKB
20-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Excuse me for being dumb, but whats a CAI?
Cold Air Intake - You can either get an Over the top of the radiator type or a pod type. The OTRCAI generally gives a little better results than the pod type but the pod type looks more original in the car

HRT 666
21-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Very nice looks totally horn. How many k's does it have. manual or auto? and it was worth ya left nut to get behind the wheel of a 6ltr HSV well done.

nonchalant
21-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey there,

it has 53,000 kms on the clock and its a manual. And yes, I agree it was worth it.

Its definitely a big step-up from my old VN Calais.. :D

HRDHSV
22-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Pics look good mate, ha ha i bet the old vn felt like a dinosoar compared to the VZ:)

nonchalant
22-01-2009, 05:52 PM
ha ha i bet the old vn felt like a dinosoar compared to the VZ:)

Mate, only 2 days after I picked up my new ride I had to jump in the old VN to drive her up onto a truck and it felt alien lol

Good car though that VN. Ran forever. Had 350,000kms on the clock and was still going.

E-Series GTS
22-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Well done nonchalant, nice looking VZ.

nonchalant
22-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Well done nonchalant, nice looking VZ.

Thanks,

I notice your in Adelaide too.

Nice E-Series btw. Oh & I love your choice of color :D

E-Series GTS
22-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for that

Mines an LS2 as well, got 2 1/2 inch cat back, CAI and dyno tune from KPM on Goodwood Road just after I got it. It gave it an extra 22rwkw and also heaps better on fuel. Drove to Brissy over xmas and average 10L/100km over 2200km on the way up and back. Averaged 12.1L/100km for the whole trip of 6000 odd kays including nearly 2000kms of city driving around Brissy and the Gold Coast.

And it sounds heaps better too.

Have a look at http://www.kpmauto.com

nonchalant
22-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Hey thanks for the info. I almost edited my post to ask where you take your car for mods.

Ive heard some good things about KPM. Have you heard anything good about D&T performance? They are just across the road from where I work and seem to have a lot of nice cars go through their workshop. I actually got to loan the owners SS ute for a day a few years ago in return for loaning him my old VN so they could 'map' the exhaust for a car they were working on - the thing went like a shower of sh*t. Ive heard they can be a bit pricey but not sure if thats just a rumour. Handy location-wise though if their price is ok.

Im going to mod the exhaust first up. Its a bit too quiet at idle. Main problem is at low revs in traffic with the air con on and windows up its hard to hear the revs when it comes to shift changes & gear selection. The note I get from it when I kick it in the guts is nice though so I think I just need extractors or performance headers - the rest can remain as is. Been listening to a few youtube vids though covering cammed motors so thats not going to be out of the question at this stage..

On my drive back from Melbourne I managed 9.8L/100 km. When I picked her up the fuel average was 14.5L/100km & Im back now to about 13.8L/100km after a few days of city driving.

Oh, and got tailed by the plod today for the first time since I picked her up. First cop followed me 5km or so off a main road and through side streets. I had to pull over another Km down the road and on leaving my location I immediately encountered another patrol car. This time they only followed for a km but driving round with no plates feels weird (all Ive got on her at the moment is a VICRoads 7-day permit). I was sure I was going to be pulled over to be asked a few questions even though Ive had her through Regency and they didnt seem concerned it had no plates. Ah the good old days when there was never a dull moment driving round in a perfomance car lol. Anyway, I register it tomorrow :)

limmo
23-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Nice looking car and yeh holdens have come along way from the old torana's and such. But hey the old cars are still great too.

HRT 666
25-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I take it your talking about D&T in the city, Thats where i got my 4into1's and hi-flow cats they did a great job of it and was very careful with the car maybe it had something to do with me watching them through the whole process, maybe thats just the way they do things but was good to watch the process of how it was done anyway. Yes they are a little pricey. But good work and will have a great note when finished.

Rick Kelly is awesome!!!
26-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Hey,
She looks sweet as!
I've always loved the vy/vz's.

xx
________
Travel Insurance Dicussion (http://www.insurance-forums.org/travel-insurance/)

nonchalant
26-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey,
She looks sweet as!
I've always loved the vy/vz's.

xx

I picked her up from a Holden dealer in Victoria. Came with original books. Its mickey mouse. The previous owner hasnt spent a lot of time on polishing the roof or front of the car but I'm fixing that with some good polishing. The paints still in excellent condition.

Im going to mod the exhaust slightly in the near future to make it a bit louder at idle, but apart from that I intend to keep it all original. Its beautiful to drive. HSV really know their stuff.

Rick Kelly is awesome!!!
27-01-2009, 11:46 PM

I picked her up from a Holden dealer in Victoria. Came with original books. Its mickey mouse. The previous owner hasnt spent a lot of time on polishing the roof or front of the car but I'm fixing that with some good polishing. The paints still in excellent condition.

Im going to mod the exhaust slightly in the near future to make it a bit louder at idle, but apart from that I intend to keep it all original. Its beautiful to drive. HSV really know their stuff.

Glad you enjoy her. I notice your from Adelaide too. Might see you round someday. Have you tried taking it to Tom's Car Wash, cnr Burbridge & Marion rd? I know a lot of people take their cars there, always looks packed on weekends. Yeah, modding the exhaust would be tops. Would sound heaps hotter, not that it wouldnt sound hot already.

xx
________
Homemade Vaporizer (http://homemadevaporizers.info/)

nonchalant
28-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Have you tried taking it to Tom's Car Wash, cnr Burbridge & Marion rd?

Hi, I was just across from the road from that place yesterday & noticed a neat Monaro in the yard. But yea Ive been past before and noticed BM's, Porsches, and other such cars getting a clean so they must be good.

I'll prolly detail her myself though. I actually owned a car detailing franchise for a short period about 10 years ago so I know a few tricks of the trade, plus I enjoy doing it myself. Someone here posted a link to http://www.paintprotection.com.au/paint_protection_other_uses.php which Im considering using also in the near future.

nonchalant
05-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Well its been 6 weeks since I picked up my first HSV and I just had to say I LOVE this car. Hell, its better than a chick. I mean it gives me deep satisfaction (thats almost sexual in nature lol) and best of all it doesnt talk back except to tell me how much it loves me by letting out a loud howl when I really stick my right member in.. :D

But, believe it or not, theres still a few things I dont know about her such as does this thing have a rev limiter? If so, what is it? Also, does the clubby come with a gearstick indicator on the LED when its time to pick another cog or is that only available with the R8's? Ive been too busy watching the blur of the scenery to have had the chance to notice..

I can see a very quiet straight stretch of road coming up in the near future...

murph_fan51
06-03-2009, 05:48 PM
I can see a very quiet straight stretch of road coming up in the near future...
Yeah right....he sais! :)

nonchalant
09-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Very nice machine. My last HSV was a VZ clubby and I really enjoyed it, a little bit of tweaking really wakes the LS2 up. :)

Booking her in today for a power package at D&T Performance. Package includes:

* 1 x Performance cat-back 2.5" exhaust system inc extractors (ceramic coated)
* 1 x OTRCAI Induction Air Intake System
* 1 x LS2 computer Flash scan reprogram
* 1 x Customized tune on Dyno

Total package cost is a tad under $5k. Should give me about 330KW at the fly.

I was also considering a Ripshifter but the dude at D&T suggested they simply rework the gearstick to lower the stick handle and reduce the throw instead. Also booking her in for new rear tyres this week and to get the discs machined.

Should feel pretty much like a new car when everythings complete and I can start my love affair with this car all over again.. :D

E-Series GTS
09-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Hey RKIA, what's Toms like, have you been there? i usually go to splash at the top of Glen Osmond Rd but just found another place on Unley Rd too.

Audi
09-07-2009, 08:39 PM
does it not beep at you when to change gears?

HRDHSV
09-07-2009, 08:49 PM
That will wake the girl up Bubba Zanetti!

nonchalant
09-07-2009, 08:51 PM
cheers Max :cool: