PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning cloth seats

04 Clubby
08-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Can anyone give me some tips on the right product to use to remove slight stains from fabric seats in a VY Clubsport.
Appears to be sweat marks and general grunge from kids.
Have used a mild detergent and warm water before on other cars but I want to make sure I am doing it right on this car ,

Cheers

white_lie
09-11-2008, 07:51 AM
I usually use Meguiars Cloth and Trim cleaner. Sonax are making some decent products these days though as well, this is what Holden/HSV recommends.

As long as you test it for colour fastness in an inconspicuous area, you'll be fine.

04 Clubby
10-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks mate. i usually use Meguiars products but have never used the Cloth and Trim cleaner.
I havent heard of Sonax , is this available through regular auto outlets ?

white_lie
10-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah, repco sells it. Not sure if supercheap does or not but I'd say they would. Otherwise you can get it from Holden parts but I'd say they'd be a bit more expensive.

04 Clubby
17-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the reply white_lie , I will check this stuff out and let you know if its successful ,

Cheers

white_lie
17-11-2008, 08:50 PM
No worries mate. I've used it before and its gotten most of my interiors clean... usually comes back from the mechanics with grease marks somewhere! Has never effected cloth or leather colourwise either.

04 Clubby
18-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Dont you just hate mechanics that couldnt give a toss. They might be good at what they do under the hood but when it comes to general tidiness and care most couldnt give a rats.

04 Clubby
19-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi White_lie , just thought I would give you an update on the seat cleaning bizz.
Ive been on holidays and went and got some Meguires Cloth and Trim Cleaner to do the seats. As I said , I have always used Meguires products on my cars and cant go past them for every day use,
The end result _ FANTASTIC !

Sprayed it on , (quiet liberally ) left it for about 3 minutes and washed off with a wet Meguires terry towelling cloth. Left the doors open overnighrt in the garage and PRESTO :-D seats back to factory new :-D

Will still look for the Sonax product when I get a chance but it will have to be bloody good to beat Meguires ,

Thanks again

HRT 666
19-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Will have to give this a go myself as i think the owners before me had kids too (cloth trim) and i was to scared to try anything. will let ya's know how it goes.

04 Clubby
19-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Mate , go for it with this stuff and dont be scared,
Put it on liberally , wait about 3 minutes as the bottle says and wash with Meguires terry toweling cloths as described. The seats will be too wet to sit on for a couple of days if you leave your car in the garage but leaving the windows down and the car outside during the day will see you back in it within 12 hours ( Keep it in the shade though )
This product is extremely good and I would like to hear from other members who have had similar results ,
Cheers

HRT 666
19-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Cheers mate will do.

nonchalant
20-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Does anyone know if Scotchguard is ok to use on HSV fabric seats? I discovered I have a full bottle of the stuff left which I bought for a new lounge a few years ago?

It says on the bottle to test first on an inconspicuous area, which I will do, but has anyone had any bad experiences with this product on HSV fabric seats?

nonchalant
20-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Ok, did a test then applied - no discoloration.

Heres a demo of how it protects http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-AaGXaXOcps

04 Clubby
26-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Good tip mate , might try this myself ,
Cheers .

nonchalant
26-01-2009, 05:46 PM
No prob.

Get the aerosol version of it though. I used the pump spray version and it was bitch to get good coverage. I then went out and bought the aerosol version ($12 from Bunnings) and covered the seats and carpet in less than 20 minutes. I also did a repeat coverage a few hours later and still have a bit left over in the can.

04 Clubby
31-01-2009, 03:30 PM
How did you go with the overspray or mist created by the aerosol.?
I dont think I would want that settling on everything in my car

nonchalant
31-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Ive not noticed any problems with overspray. As its only teflon (as far as Im aware) I just wiped off any immediate overspray on plastic trim. I also made sure I did the job with the car doors open in a well ventilated area. Oh, got a bit of gum on the front seat too. I was able to pick off the bulk off it fortunately then rubbed the spot with a damp flannel. Hasnt left a trace.

Sokoza
04-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Bought some meguires cloth and trim cleaner today, Ill try it out on the weekend.

white_lie
04-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Good to hear you had success with it! Most of the meguiars stuff is pretty good for what you pay for it.

04 Clubby
16-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Let us know how you went Sokoza. I have done my seats for the second time and they came up even better. I have fitted some sheepskin inserts , these only cover the centre section of the seat and protect against sweat and general grunge but its good to know the seats are pristine underneath

sorry officer
19-02-2009, 08:55 PM
hmm, might give the meguiars a try on the clubby, got what looks like sweat marks on the drivers seat from the previous owner... scotchgard is a good idea too, thanks nonchalant