PDA

View Full Version : vx gts

kobe24
02-11-2008, 05:24 PM
hey guys just wanted to know what you think of this car http://www.westpointautos.com.au/pages/used-vehicles.php (search hsv gts) im buying it this week. did the guy that owned it go on this forum or anyone know the car coz im in adelaide so cant test drive.

ps. im gettin it for 32,500 drive away with travel to adelaide.

macca33
02-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Looks okay mate - be sure to get the full service history.

Cheers,

Macca

MADLS1
03-11-2008, 07:44 AM
looks clean mate

I would get some new 300 covers for it & track down the orig DD exhaust tips

Juzza

kobe24
03-11-2008, 05:31 PM
wat u mean 300 covers? yeah i know about the tips doesnt bother me coz i wanna get new exhaust anyway

haggles
03-11-2008, 05:38 PM
i think he is referring to the engine covers.

the originals were red and can be seen on this car (looks like those have maybe been painted black and then had the art work put over the top?)

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/HSV/GTS/New%20South%20Wales/csn5608657.aspx

kobe24
04-11-2008, 05:13 PM
cant buy the car, cant get insurance. and the loan company wont give me the money unless i have it. :( looks like ill have to just live with the white vx club atm( thats my gf car)

white_lie
04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Whats the problem with the insurance? Age?

Who did you go thru? Try JustCars or Shannons

kobe24
05-11-2008, 06:14 PM
yeah might still be able to get it know, the car dealers finance might let me have the car without insurance, so i can have it under my mums name for rego and insurance.

ps. is there anyone in qld near there that could go take it for a test drive for me so i know its ok? just say im here on andrews behalf would be heaps good thanks

white_lie
05-11-2008, 08:11 PM
If its thru a Holden dealer, won't it be a certified used vehicle? So you should get a 5 year warranty at least. Just take it for a drive and make sure there's no abnormal noises.

Pick the salesmans brain about the engine too. The C4B's aren't a very reliable engine in stock form, so check to see if its had any work done to it, particularly in regards to the lifters, valve springs and cam.

kobe24
08-11-2008, 12:47 PM
ps. is there anyone in qld near there that could go take it for a test drive for me so i know its ok? just say im here on andrews behalf would be heaps good thanks[/QUOTE]

anyone? i need to know if its ok!

GTS0039
09-11-2008, 10:09 PM
My gts is build no 39 (series 1) and has done around 104k's, the lifters started getting lazy around the 100k mark and i am finding more and more things (IE clutch, sat nav, electronics) are not built to last either as white_lie has pointed out, hopefully its just my car, but once the taco clocked 100k, these things started popping up. Unfortunately for me i did not buy through a dealer, also just quickly you do have the original engine covers but they are just painted and signed differently, lucky you.

Cheers :cool:

white_lie
10-11-2008, 10:15 AM
I don't think its the lifters at fault really. From what i've read its more vibration/harmonics from the valve springs which causes the lifters to chew out the lobes on the cam. I believe it can be rectified just by fitting better valve springs, but not 100% sure. Macca would know :)

Very common problem on the Callaway motors though.

macca33
10-11-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't think its the lifters at fault really. From what i've read its more vibration/harmonics from the valve springs which causes the lifters to chew out the lobes on the cam. I believe it can be rectified just by fitting better valve springs, but not 100% sure. Macca would know :)

Very common problem on the Callaway motors though.

You're on the money there I reckon.

The cam was purportedly a Crane cam and there were issues with the cam billets not being hardened to the requisite amount.

This, coupled with the use of valvesprings that were not up to the job of controlling the aggressive cam lobes, resulted in a lot of 'lifting' of the lifter roller off the cam nose at, or just past the highest lift (nose) point, then the lifter roller would bang against the cam lobe on the flank, causing wear, which was exacerbated by the softness of the metal of the camshaft.

Thus, you'd see C4B cams that had lifter roller width grooves, sometimes .10" deep in their lobes.

So, it is a combination of the poor choice of valvetrain components (valvesprings) and the poor quality of the cams (lobe hardness) that contribute to the C4B woes.

They are still a bloody great rig though and once the cam/lifters/valvetrain issue is solved, they will live as long as the next engine.

Cheers,

Macca

kobe24
10-11-2008, 11:46 PM
see the extractors are pretty red which i dont like and is it hard to find the double d tips?

white_lie
11-11-2008, 10:27 AM
The extractors just look a bit rusty. More than likely cos its been sitting in a showroom for a while. Take it for a decent drive and it should all come off, otherwise get some decent 1 3/4" Pacemaker or Di Filippo's put on there. May as well do the whole exhaust if you want to change the tips too... I'm not a big fan of the D shaped ones either.

kobe24
11-11-2008, 06:54 PM
yeah ill for sure be getting new exhaust gonna sound nuts when im done. does it come with sat nav? where doesnt it just have to standard cd player like the clubsport? or does it have to screen in the centre dash?