PDA

View Full Version : Some guidance please, purchasing VT Senator

yabby6
27-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi all, I've been over at the fordforums for the last few years and after recently parting with my BA XR6 I'm looking at replacing it with an HSV of the VT vintage.

I chose the VT because it was a model that was new at the age when I was just getting into cars, so I have a soft spot for it. I don't like the shape of the VS and earlier, and purely based on looks, I can't justify paying extra for a VX, and can't afford a VY.

My budget is up to around $20,000(max), and I'd like to get something with under 120,000km on the dial but will probably settle for up to 150ish depending on condition and price.

What I'm wondering is what the differences are between the 220i and the 195i that I've been finding in search results, I'm assuming that's power at the flywheel but what is physically different - is it just the tune - or are the 195i the 5L ones? - is it worth paying extra for a 220i if I plan to do some engine mods (maybe s/c) will it make a difference at the end or should I just go with a cheaper 195i?

Is it worth the extra for the series 2 models with the 5.7 over the 5L ? I don't know a lot about the two engines but I've been given varying opinions about which is the better one / more reliable / responsive to modifications.

So basically... Which one should I go for?

Thanks in advance, Brett.

macca33
28-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Firstly, I'd recommend either the Stroker Holden engine (5.7lt - 220kw) in the VT, or the Gen III (5.7lt) in the VT II.

The 195i is the Holden 5-lt engine and the 220i is the Holden 5.7lt stroker crank engine.

As far as modification capacity goes, the Gen III (LS1) engine wins hands down. They are very easily tuned to suit modifications from bolt-on exhausts/air intakes, through to camshafts and forced induction. A re-tune of the computer in stock form will provide more power and better fuel economy, adding exhausts and intake mods will gain even more.

I've just had a bit of a gander at carsales.com.au and to be honest, your budget may still be a few thousand short of what you can get. Most are above 20k and certainly get to 25k+ for a car with low(ish) k's.

If you can find one for less than 20k, I reckon you'll be onto a good deal. They still hold their value fairly well as they have all the bells and whistles and in general, are well kept.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers,

Macca

CHEVY-1
28-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Definately go the extra yard and get the gen III .It will be easier to get bigger horsepower while retaining the stock look, which a lot of HSV owners like to keep.

HRT 666
28-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Go at least a vx vy as they have the better heads and inlet manifold, much easier to get results with a good starting platform.

Audi
28-09-2008, 08:36 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, the vt series I had 195kw and the II 250. i had a vt series IIss backin the day and it had 220. imo the vx II r8 with sunroof is the best looking hsv ever.
i loved the vt clubsport till i step foot in a vx.
as i said correct me if i'm wrong.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/kitemett1/100_00401.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/kitemett1/IMG_1461-resized.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/kitemett1/IMG_1460.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/kitemett1/IMG_1474.jpg

sorry i just love posting pics of the old girl. but if you can afford the extra coin there is more to a vx over a vt than just the 5kw engine difference.

HRT 666
28-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Great pic's audi and couldnt agree more!
heres a pic of mine when i first got it.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q13/HRT_666/PIC_0004.jpg
Try at least go vx mate!

Audi
30-09-2008, 11:00 AM
cool, hey nice sparkle in your pics.

also yabby6 make sure you get an r8.
they weren't all r8s like they are these days and the extra coin on a second hand one is well worth it.

white_lie
30-09-2008, 03:39 PM
He's looking at getting a Senator, not a Clubby. Much better choice IMO too.

I agree on saving a bit more coin and getting the Series 2 with an LS1, but disagree on the VX Clubby being the best looking. I suppose everyone's a bit biased on here ;)

HRDHSV
30-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Not biased its common knowledge lol! ;):) but each to there own.

yabby6
30-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the responses everybody.

Some nice vehicles there.. Seems like the 5.7LS1 is the go then.. Although I might have to save a bit more to get exactly what I want...

I might look into some clubsports as well, they are slightly cheaper than the senators right? What exactly is the extras on the R8s?

Audi
01-10-2008, 08:46 AM
r8s have better brakes, seats, rims and thedash is based on a calais. They have a stereo upgrade on the vx not sure about vt. I didn't see you were after a senator sorry.
I love the chrome on the bonnet of the vx senator.
Although senators are a bit of an old mans car IMO.

senatorVIII
02-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the responses everybody.

Some nice vehicles there.. Seems like the 5.7LS1 is the go then.. Although I might have to save a bit more to get exactly what I want...

I might look into some clubsports as well, they are slightly cheaper than the senators right? What exactly is the extras on the R8s?

Don't bother with any of the Clubsports, every 2nd man and his dog has one. They are more common than SS commodores.

HSV220
03-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Still can't beat the sound & torque of a Holden stroker engine though.

macca33
03-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Don't bother with any of the Clubsports, every 2nd man and his dog has one. They are more common than SS commodores.

Yep - Senators are the go!!! :cool:

Audi
12-10-2008, 06:22 AM
lol sif more than ss.
you may well fined there were less vt clubsports made than there will be ve gts's.

macca33
12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
lol sif more than ss.
you may well fined there were less vt clubsports made than there will be ve gts's.

Cannot argue with that either - the prestige of the GTS has been somewhat dulled by HSV in the VE. I'm hoping they give it a bit more differentiation - other than trim, wheels and a suspension system - in the near future.

Cheers,

Macca