PDA

View Full Version : Best Leather Treatment

Maloo145
18-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi all, I have tried a lot of the the automotive leather treatments and found them to be rubbish.

The best leather treatment I have found is stuff called saddle conditioner or leather food, these are available from hose supply outlet like Horseland here in Melbourne. This stuff makes your leather so soft and stops any cracking.

Oh there is also a bonus they usually have some really cute girls working in these places.

daronstevenkeogh
22-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I have been using a product called dubbin for years. It comes in different shades and is available at most leather shops. Unfortunately too, because of a coupe's big back window once the leather trim on top of the seat gets hardened from the sun there is no return. So leather protection needs to be included as a regular part of the maintenance cycle as early as possible.

digits
22-07-2008, 07:42 PM
anybody in nsw know where to get these sort of products

my retrim is gonna cost heaps and ill want to prtect it properly

Audi
04-08-2008, 05:22 PM
i also usse dubbin its cheap and can be brought at the local supermarket. its the best for leather. if your not into broke back mountain.

Maloo260
18-10-2008, 10:04 AM
hey digits, u can try horseland at dural near roundcorner(next to Maccas) i havent looked but they may have it

LS2
18-10-2008, 01:01 PM
i use meguiar's Gold class rich leather foam. i think its great as i used to use the same stuff but in the cream form and it always got stuck in the small holes making little white spots all over the place it was a pain in the a$$ to get out.

senator_sig
30-10-2008, 09:16 PM
I use saddle soap to clean my seats and a saddle conditioner after. I thinks its excellent... and it smells nice.

All bought from a local saddle shop... no bonus cute girl at our saddle shop, just some old bloke as ugly as sin!

mattyjon70
07-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I wanna keep that new car smell. How do you do that ?
I have leather.

nonchalant
07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I have leather.

Dont drive it ;-)

senatorVIII
09-12-2009, 12:07 AM
I have leather.

Don't ever open your windows unless you have to, same goes with the doors. If you do, try to keep it to a minimum.
ONLY drive with the air-con on recycle and not through the air vents. Try not to use too many types of cleaning agents when cleaning the insides, usually a damp watered cloth will get rid of most stuff. When cleaning your windows, spray the cloth outside the car and then get in and wipe them down.
And another thing, don't put too many smelly things in the car or the boot or go taking your stinky shoes off.

I bought mine brand new around April 2008 and it still has the brand new car smell and everyone ALWAYS comment on the new car smell straight away and dont believe you. Especially when it's leather. Can't beat it!! :D

mattyjon70
16-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Don't ever open your windows unless you have to, same goes with the doors. If you do, try to keep it to a minimum.
ONLY drive with the air-con on recycle and not through the air vents. Try not to use too many types of cleaning agents when cleaning the insides, usually a damp watered cloth will get rid of most stuff. When cleaning your windows, spray the cloth outside the car and then get in and wipe them down.
And another thing, don't put too many smelly things in the car or the boot or go taking your stinky shoes off.

I bought mine brand new around April 2008 and it still has the brand new car smell and everyone ALWAYS comment on the new car smell straight away and dont believe you. Especially when it's leather. Can't beat it!! :D

Senatorviii, man i mean im pretty anal about my new car but you....gee you must be kiding about not opening the windows or doors ! How do you get into it...teleport ?

Anyway hats off to you if thats what you did and you kept that new car smell :)

I had an SS MY06 6L manual with leather for 3 years from brand new. I never once used anything but water and the occasional vacuum to keep it good. It still looked as good as new when i traded it for the VE E2. Also before that i had a Monaro with Leather and same gig. Nothing but water and the odd vacuum and i have kids and we go to the beach frequently and i drive them to and from school every day.

Leather rules except for getting into a black car on 35+ degree heat, otherwise there is nothing better.

Krisiun
17-12-2009, 11:04 AM
How do you get into it...teleport ?.

Quote of the year....:-D

GTS0039
17-12-2009, 12:26 PM
New car smell eh, my new car smell was ash thanks to the previous owner. 4 bottles of deodorizer later and it smells normal so im happy im not passive smoking all the time haha.

This might be a stupid question but i know my car does not have leather, it is a leather substitute but has the same characteristics, is the leather treatments still the best to use for this 'plether'?

richo7502000
18-12-2009, 12:53 AM

Man I love my car but thats so ANAL the car would smell like ass :D:D:rolleyes:.
I must admit my VY still smells like new leather somehow, I guess my windows are usually up 99% of time, but I do use the airvents so I dont recirc my stinky smells through the car :oops:.
Is Dubbin pretty good?? as I am just about to give my seats a freshen up, I generally only use mildly soapy water at moment and was wondering what to put on them.

senatorVIII
18-12-2009, 04:58 AM
Once "new car smell" is gone from a vehicle, it's gone forever!! I think there is a product on the market called "new car smell" which may be some sort of de-odouriser or spray, but it ain't the real deal and it will eventually dissipate.

Well it's been nearly 2 years....and it STILL smells the same as the day i drove it out of the showroom. I tell ya guys, every time i jump in it and take a deep breath...it puts a huge :D on my face!!

P.S. if you leave your car out in the heat for a few hours and you have leather interior, the heat will draw some of the smell back out of the leather..

Pickles
27-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Holden spare parts sell a very good 3 bottle leather "kit" for $24.95....cleaner, conditioner, preservative etc etc...does a great job on the yellow leather seats of our GTO.
Cheers, Pickles.