PDA

View Full Version : Senator vs GTS

Carman
09-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi all, new to the forums, joined up as I soon will be the owner of a new HSV, my problem is I can't decide whether to go the GTS or the Senator???
They are both mind blowing cars for the $, the GTS is the one the boy racer in me is screaming out for but the Senator is the one that makes me feel like a million dollars...the downside to the GTS is the in your face brutal almost over the top spoiler styling, and with the Senator the automatic gearbox means I will find it more difficult to beat fricton when I feel like it, plus the front looks a little under done.
I have seen a few GTS on the forums and quite a few clubsports driving around but I have yet to see a Senator on the forums or on the road, where are the senator owners? Is there a reason for this?

I am currently an XR8 driver (don't hurt me pls)

So there you have it, it's a win win kind of thing but I really can't decide either way so I am reaching out to the internet for answers...what would you do and why?
Any people who have a GTS or Senator (obviously have had this debate themselves) I would really appreciate your input.

Any help appreciated, my wife is wanting me to get the Senator because it is more luxurious but I can't help thinking it's a 307Kw automatic leather sofa?

murph_fan51
09-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah tough choice really.

I'd go with the GTS personally, you can get the leather in the GTS anyway(99% sure). The GTS has more appeal, 20" rims and is arguably HSVs top model. But if you're after the full luxury get the Senator or even the new Grange. Remember the Senator has MRC and 307kW as with the GTS so performance/handling would still be top class.

SENATOR
10-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Yeah tough choice really.

I'd go with the GTS personally, you can get the leather in the GTS anyway(99% sure). The GTS has more appeal, 20" rims and is arguably HSVs top model. But if you're after the full luxury get the Senator or even the new Grange. Remember the Senator has MRC and 307kW as with the GTS so performance/handling would still be top class.

Hey, I've gone through this dilemma and I guess it is personal choice but I like a sharp looking car, but not over done, I purchased a VZ Senator (current car until I pick up my VE GTS)and ended up putting a club sport front bar on it!
If you like a slick looking car then you may regret the senator?
I personally don't like the front end of the VE Senator but the back end is ten times better than my VZ!
As far as features though, the VE Senator has more than the VE GTS but not all the performance features of the GTS.
I have decided to go VE GTS Auto in black.
That prob hasn't helped!!
End of the day they are both great cars, no question, just depends on the look your after.
Cheers,
Dave.

Carman
10-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys; even though you both make good points about the GTS i'm actually leaning toward the Senator after seeing it in the red passion colour today, man it looks good. I hear they may introduce the LS3 engine into the GTS sometime early next year (330Kw)??? This is another neg for the GTS for me...i'm not prepared to wait for next year and wouldn't want my new car superseeded so quick, damn holden and their perpetual updating

murph_fan51
11-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Well it hasn't been confirmed about the GTS getting a new engine with more power.

There was talk of a GTS with I think is the LS7 or LT7, its 7.0ltr (427ci?)used in the Special Corvette models.

But, who knows, the next GTS model may well be used for the Coupe again!

ERASER
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Ive heard that theres a new GTS/R model coming out late this year or early next. It will have a ls2 in it with a harrop supercharger on it. HSV in melbourne have one down there atm that there testing. As for the 427 dont hold your breath, theres no plans at all of bringing those engine to Aust.

Carmino

Carman
11-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeh there seem to be lots of rumours, the most believeable one I have heard is that there is a 6.2 litre version which produces 330Kw and will be introduced for the GTS R...but who knows, probably only one or two of the big wigs at this point.

I drove both cars, drove auto and manual, tested the MRC which is definately NOT a gimmick, it really does make a huge difference which I was quite suprised about. The decision I made was for the Senator which goes against a few recommendations, I went with this model because of the appearance and the luxury aspect, it is a smoother car to drive and in all fairness if I wanted a car to race around the track or handle amazingly a V8 is straight away the wrong car (unless your talking the new M5 - seriously out of budget).
Overall they are fabulous cars but they are extremely large so definately not race cars, I have to say Holden has got the E-series 100% correct and I am more happy about this purchase than any other car I have ever owned. I will post up pics when I get it, unfortunately unless I want to wait until September I can't get the Red Passion colour with cream leather, I am having to take silver with the black leather...still it does look great; and when your as impatient as me to get behind the wheel there has to be some compromises.

Thanks to those who replied, will post pics when it arrives (late June)

redvxr8clubby
09-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Post is a bit old now, but I'd wait for the red.