PDA

View Full Version : Where do you start with an 03 Senator??

juniorbrown954
24-11-2006, 01:03 AM
So far I have achieved 280hp at the wheels by only tuning..... K&N filter and normal HSV stuff........what next?? What is MAF...what is MAF-Less??? What are the air intakes that come from infront of the engine (god how lame do i sound?!?!) My tuning guy says nothing is worth the dollars now except Supercharging..... HELP!!!!

vypower
24-11-2006, 10:54 AM
ok.......... what's the budget?

you've got endless options here.

the air intake that comes from infront is called a OTRCAI. these are by far the best option to go for if you're wanting to up the HP.

Before supercharging (i think he's just wanting some dollars out of you) there many options with internals such as cam, valves, injectors, rockers etc. Play with these and you'll see a huge difference. keep in mind, that you will get the most out of your mods once you get it all tuned on dyno again after the works been done

as for MAF and MAFless. this refers to the air flow sensor on your intake pipe between the filter box and your throttle body.
MAF stands for Mass Air Flow.
A MAF tune is where they leave this sensor in place and remap (or re-program if you like) the computer to change fuel mixtures, timing, etc. but still using the sensor to calculate air flow.
A MAFless tune is where they remove the MAF sensor and completely re-configure the computer to handle the calculations. A new induction pipe is used to replace the old one which is normally a GTS induction pipe unless you use a OTRCAI.

Different people have different opinions but I believe a MAFless is a far better option for the money. The less restrictions the better, and no matter how well you tune a MAF set up, there is still that one extra step in the process. Remove it and it can flow more easily.

Normal costs are around 900 for MAF or 1100 for MAF less as you need extra parts such as intake pipe. depends where you go.

A MAF tune is ok if you're not gonna do much more, but if you feel as though you may get serious about HP increases, get a MAFless.

I did MAFless on mine and it was awesome. only mistake i made was that i got SS inductions cold air intake before i learnt about OTRCAI. so I'll be switching over shortly.

If you do the above things, i believe you will be very pleased with the outcome, without forking out for a blower. once that's all done and when you get bored, then go for that

hope this is what you were looking for

juniorbrown954
24-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks VY...that is a great help! How many HP's did you gain? What was the physical effect...better throttle reponse??

Thanks for your help

vypower
24-11-2006, 08:33 PM
my last dyno shows 242rwkw or 334flywheel kw. keep in mind my VYSS only started with 235 at the fly. The difference is massive off the line and consistent through the whole rev range. (once i find the sheet again, i'll take a photo and post it on here to show you.

throttle response is great, but mainly mid range difference. once i hit 2200RPM it feels like i'm changing gears every 2 seconds!

unsure what these figures are but i'm sure someone has a KW / HP converter

murph_fan51
25-11-2006, 04:01 PM
235kW / 0.746 = 315HP

334kW / 0.746 = 447.7HP

1 HP = 0.746kW

Thats some serious grunt, a V8 Supercar is a little over 600HP!

vypower
25-11-2006, 04:58 PM
thanks murph. not bad considering i haven' opened her up yet. (i emphasis YET).

i didn't know it was that much! awesome.

i do need to upgrade my clutch though as i'm not able to put it all through straight up. it seems to make it smell a little.

but very happy with results though