PDA

View Full Version : LS1 throttle body upgrade - is it worth it?

vypower
21-11-2006, 01:19 PM
I have done most external upgrades you can think of on my LS1, from extractors/exhaust, to MAFless tune, GST intake pipe, SS inductions intake which has also been modified to gain more etc.

I'm wanting to know if a larger throttle body would show much more gain (assuming i get the computer re-edited once done to re-tune the changes). And if so, how much?

I'm looking at increasing to either 85mm or 90mm. What should i be paying as i'm seeing figures of around $500. Also, is there anything else i will need to spend out to do the job, or is it pretty much just bolt on a drive off?

any advice?

Generation Motorsport
22-11-2006, 11:02 AM
you will get a small power increase at the top end, usually at the expense of some down low. If your car see's mainly street duty, stick with the stocker, but if you do alot of track work, then there is a small gain to be had. Generally, i dont think the gain is worth the expense, unless you are building an animal that needs the top end flow.

cheers
GM

vypower
22-11-2006, 11:12 AM
thanks for that. i was kinda thinkin that way but since i'm not an expert, i thought i'd throw it out there.

i will leave the stocky until i've done internals.

what budget should i set for:
hot cam
valve springs
rockers etc

and what are the options here to get some great torque

HSVDVL
24-11-2006, 11:35 AM
my mate has just bought the red vu ss ute that back in 2002 was the fastest bolt on ls1 in australia, was in street commodores mag n stuff, you might remember it. Well hes runnning all the same stuff as you, extractors, exhaust, mafless tune, gts pipe. what he does have is a bigger throttle body and a 25% underdriven pully and a button clutch. Just thought id mention it as that car on a full tune pulled 260rwkws. Just thought id mention it as you are wanting to mod up your ls1 and what hes got is in expensive and very effective.

Clubbie Geoff
24-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Hello,

When I fitted my 78mm throttle body I noticed an immediate improvement in engine responsiveness and acceleration. There was little increase in outright power but she definetly launched better from a standing start. Not a huge improvement but a quite noticeable one. My vehicle is a daily driver and has never seen a track but I would recommend that you fit one. A work mate of mine fitted one to his XR6 Turbo upon my recommendation and he is very happy with the difference that it made.

Cheers,

Geoff

vypower
24-11-2006, 01:48 PM
would i notice any difference by going with an 85mm or 90mm throttle over a 78mm? i know of a 78mm through SS inductions but 85 & 90mm throttles are similarly priced

HSVDVL
26-11-2006, 11:44 AM
if there all the mods your gonna do then no need to go to big but if your wanting to work it further down the track then get as good as you can afford. Theres nothing worse than upgrading a part to what you want at the time and then finding that if you continue moding you have to replace it again with somthing better that you could have got in the first place.

vypower
26-11-2006, 02:56 PM
thanks. i will go with either 85mm or 90mm as yes, i do have big plans for it. i can only do one thing at a time otherwise the missus gets stroppy.

thanks.

juniorbrown954
29-11-2006, 04:23 PM
thanks. i will go with either 85mm or 90mm as yes, i do have big plans for it. i can only do one thing at a time otherwise the missus gets stroppy.

thanks.

I am feelin your pain there mate!!!

HSVDVL
30-11-2006, 10:59 AM
hahaha bumber

CLUBSPORT305
30-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I am feelin your pain there mate!!!

OH YEAH, TRY GETTING MARRIED TOO!

NO CASH FOR NOTHING!