PDA

View Full Version : Vr 185i engine noise.

bazzz
25-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I just took a caprice for a test drive,and half way through, the oil light came on and the engine started 2 make a rattle,tap,tap,tap noise.
When i got back 2 the car yard,the guy quickley came over and turned the engine off,checked the oil,and said how long have you been driving it like this?The stick was showing 20mm of oil.He said it needs a new oil pick up,and that they will fix it monday.
Does this mean that for the last 5km i did with the oil light on,i was running on no oil?
The car is the right price,only 7k,and i really like it,and am going for another test drive monday.
But im worried there was no oil getting 2 the engine the first time around and i damaged it.
I have had 3 185i,and iv never heard of, or had this problem.What do you people in the know think.

Cheers, Bazzz.

murph_fan51
25-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Yikes. Yeah, when the oil light comes on, it means the engine has a dangerously low oil level. If you ever see that light, you should shut the engine off as quickly and safely as you can. It could have damaged it, certainly wouldn't have done the engine any good. Did you notice if the TEMP guage went up? I don't know of any problems like this (loss of oil) in the 5.0ltr engine.

What I do know for sure is that the BA Falcon XR6 Turbo have a common problem with the loss of oil.

SirHSV
25-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Something seems very wrong, an engine can be low on oil but that sounds very low to me, either its losing oil very fast or it already has been running on very low amount of oil before. Be careful and get RACV around for an independent test just to be on the safe side I say.

bazzz
26-08-2006, 12:40 AM
No it didnt over heat.The salesman said it needs a new oil pick up,has any body heard of this part,or replaced one them selfs.
I have never heard of it,and was no wiser after talking 2 my mechanic.

I suppose i could give it a good thrashing on monday,and see how it holds up.

The dude in the caryard said hes been using it as hes daily drive,and put 700 kms on ther clock
since it entered his yard and its never happened before....lol 2 many strange things happen when im around.

GTS215
29-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Any issues like that i would walk away, there are plenty of other out there to choose from, if your really interested ask him if you can take to your mechanic for an inspection, any signs of the dealer shying away from it, should make you walk faway very quickly.

ERASER
30-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Walk away! Find another one. How can someone know the oil pick up is faulty without pulling the engine down? And how does an oil pick up become faulty, its just a pipe? Sound like a oil pump prob which means major damage has already been done. Walk away!

Carmino

bazzz
31-08-2006, 01:41 AM
Yer iv given up on it,they replaced the oil pick up,and i was taking it 2 pedders for a 28 point check,but before i got there i gave it a thrashing, and the same thing happened.
Now looking at vr 5.0 calais,gts interior,vz ss mags,good stereo,150 000Km,
$4800 Test driving today(owner says its immaculate)
Also vt calais 5.0 velour interior,stock except for rear wing,183 000km,
$8600....Drives like a dream.

Man you can get a lot of car for little money

I like the look of vr over vt but the interior of the vt is much nicer.

Both of these cars are bargains,which one would you choose?