PDA

View Full Version : Old sticker residue/markings....?

Elwood
27-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi Guys, This is my first post here and I'm glad to be here too :)

Had a question regarding removing old sticker markings on my car (recently bought it - second-hand '04-VZ). The markings that are visible are those usually left by those transparent-type stickers, where the transparent part of the sticker has left a "shadow" (best way i can describe it) in the paintwork. I'm guessing that the sun has baked this into the bodywork. Tried to polish this out but no good. It's quiet a sizable area unfortunately.

Any other ideas that might help?

Thanks.
Elwood.

GTS215
27-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Try a bit of brasso and some elbow grease. I find brasso is excellent for any window treatment (not tint). I had a fairly deep scratch on my windsreen caused from cleaning the dash and my watch scrapping it, brasso pretty much polished it all out.

MattyMayhem
27-07-2006, 10:28 PM
He's talking about the body I think, not the windows.
Besides paint stripper all I can suggest is a "goo remover" or something (providing it states it is safe with cars). Big Kev did one prior to going out of business that got rid of sticker residue. Never tried it on a car though. Try and track something down thats pretty much the same.

Elwood
28-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Hey, thanks for the responses guys. The brasso tip will work for my other car that has scratches on the glass :)

However, Matty was right in that the markings are on the body of the car (bonnet actually) and not on glass. The sticky residue is actually gone (ie, the bonnet is smooth to touch) but the markings or 'shadow' of the where the sticker once was, is left in the paintwork. A mate recommended something called "Prepsol"... but i've never heard of it.

Any other ideas are definitely welcome.

Live2ridE
21-09-2006, 07:10 PM
u need to get a heat gun man an heat the paint up, its hard to explain what it is but it kind of like water marks where the paint has sweated in the sun while the sticker is on there, now i take it u know to keep the heat gun at a distance an not to melt the paint till it sizzles, just wave it over a small area at a time till u see it disapear, should happen insantly, a similar thing sometimes happens while a car is in the oven when it has plastic draped on it, so i have dealt with this problem on many occasions. This same process will work for birdshit too, if it has eaten into the clear the heat will bring it back to the surface an should pretty much get rid of it, if not a light buff will see it gone for good with out ne damage to your clear coat

BeteNoir
22-09-2006, 10:42 AM
u need to get a heat gun man an heat the paint up, its hard to explain what it is but it kind of like water marks where the paint has sweated in the sun while the sticker is on there, now i take it u know to keep the heat gun at a distance an not to melt the paint till it sizzles, just wave it over a small area at a time till u see it disapear, should happen insantly, a similar thing sometimes happens while a car is in the oven when it has plastic draped on it, so i have dealt with this problem on many occasions. This same process will work for birdshit too, if it has eaten into the clear the heat will bring it back to the surface an should pretty much get rid of it, if not a light buff will see it gone for good with out ne damage to your clear coat
Or a hairdryer...

murph_fan51
22-09-2006, 04:18 PM
A hair drier may not be hot enough? A heat gun can go up to 600-700*C. This would make the job quicker! ;)

Insta Finish
24-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Best way to remove any Sticker residue or glue, tar marks or sticky stuff is firstly with Prepsol (wax and grease remover) or if something stronger is require MP thinners is always good. Always polish over the top once completed to seal the paintwork etc..

empty pockets
07-08-2008, 03:42 PM
pet spirits (petroleum spirits) cuts through the gummy residue of stickers like nothing else! It also removes wax. Ive used it on car windows (including tinted windows) and interiors but never used it on a paint surface though... I would spot test it in the engine bay or boot first. Im not sure where you can buy it either, I work in a science lab and use to remove sticky glue and wax from samples all the time

Audi
08-08-2008, 06:19 PM
i'm a slacker so i just use nail polish remover then cut and polish then finish with polish