PDA

View Full Version : holden HSV?

sideeways
02-07-2006, 05:17 AM
hi guys! im new here and this is my first post! reason why i join this forum is cos im lookin at buying a HSV and have some questions which i believe some of you will be able to answer. of cos ill try my best to search on whatever im in doubt of :) oh and my budget is only around the 20 to 25k mark and my purpose of buying the HSV will be to track it so ill be concerned about weight, handling, braking, LSD etc
Q1) which model will be the most suitable for track? i really like the HSV clubsport 5L 98' 99' model. is there alot of difference between this and the later 5.7L model? and wats the diff with the other models like senator etc?

Q2) hows the fuel consumption like on the 5L HSVs?
Q3) do these cars come with factory LSD or if they dont, are they readily available?
Q4) how much actual power in KW at the rear wheels do these produce in stock form?
Q5) are there any known problems or common problems that i have to beware of and spend heaps of money on?
i think these are my main concerns for now. your help is greatly appreciated!

Tim41
02-07-2006, 06:58 PM
The all pretty good for track car, but have had the chance to drive a few different types of car on the track. My ultimate choice would be a Coupe but I know they are nowhere near the price you want to spend I would say if you could pickup a a Rough Monaro for maybe 25k if your lucky that would be a real win.

murph_fan51
03-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Q1) Just a Clubbie would be the best, or maybe a GTS. I suggest getting the GenIII 5.7ltr V8, it is lighter (alloy), and I'd say more torque/power available too.
Q2) The fuel consumption, again I'd say the 5.7ltr is more economical. You could find out the specs for fuel consumption on the internet. My old mans 5.7ltr SS is more economical than his old VR 5.0ltr.
Q3) Factory LSD yes! Even the Holden Commodores have them. Check out the official site for more details but there is a switch you can turn off the traction control.
Q4) Not sure how many kW at the rear wheels, but the VT1 you are talking about is 195kW, the VT2 with the 5.7ltr is 250kW! Im never sure what the power given is, if its rear wheels or not.
Q5) No common faults as far as Im aware, but like any vehicle get something with lower k's. There was one problem with oil but I think this was only in the VX series and were fixed soon after release.
Q6) No, don't get a Ford. They really are shit. Especially the model around the same age (AU). ;)

Tim
10-07-2006, 06:46 PM
The chev 5.7Ltr does have a tiny bit better economy then the holden 5.7Ltr, but thats dependant on how you drive(dont know about the 5Ltr). The holden engines offer better lowdown torque which is a godsend in traffic. especially the 5.7Ltr VS GTS which is a torque monster and the iron block will last forever. No piston slap or oil usage like the gen3. The gen3 has to be worked hard in the higher revs to get the torque it claims, the holden block gets it a hell of alot earlier. My advise is to test drive alot of cars and make your own opinion.

VooDoo
10-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Q1) which model will be the most suitable for track? i really like the HSV clubsport 5L 98' 99' model. is there alot of difference between this and the later 5.7L model? and wats the diff with the other models like senator etc?

Get the LS1 (VT2 onwards). MUCH cheaper to mod and get power from. A Clubby R8 would be my choice due to bigger brakes (or a GTS) but the GTS in my opinion is too good to thrash. A nice GTO monaro makes an awesome track car too. (HRT427 anyone)

Q2) hows the fuel consumption like on the 5L HSVs?

I have a 408cu stroker in a caprice and its on 14.3L/100k's atm. Long trips with just an edit its under 10L/100k's. it does depend on how you drive it though.
Q3) do these cars come with factory LSD or if they dont, are they readily available?

All LS1's had LSD but if you doing track work, replace it for a KAAZ. Holden LSD sucks.

Q4) how much actual power in KW at the rear wheels do these produce in stock form? Stock from 180-210rwkw. With minor mods 240rwkw, add a cam 280rwkw, add heads 300rwkw, add a stroker 340++rwkw, add a turbo or 2 400++. You can get more creative and get 700+ out of them but $$ talks.

Q5) are there any known problems or common problems that i have to beware of and spend heaps of money on?

VT's have a poor intake (ls1 vs LS6 on the VX2 and newer)
VT and VX had some oil usage issues but most are fixed
Clutch in stockers SUCK. Get a texralia
LSD sucks, Get a KAAZ

all in all the LS1 is a far better engine than the 5L iron blocks and cheaper to get big power from. Not to mention more reliable and better on fuel.

sideeways
15-07-2006, 10:58 AM
wow thanks guys, ill be test driving a few to see what i like..thanks heaps

YGOSLO
16-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Do yourself a favour and Test Drive a FPV, they are light years ahead of HSV.

Read all the test reports in the car mags, front line grunt is not all that counts, and also you could save a few dollars.

Regards

YGOSLO

murph_fan51
16-07-2006, 08:40 PM
YGOSLO, how come you say FPV are much better etc, but you just bought a brand new Maloo? I don't understand.

YGOSLO
16-07-2006, 09:13 PM
I have foot in both camps, I bought a BF GT manual with all the performance bits in Feb this year, a magic car. You see I just like performance cars. I have owned 10 HSVs and 4 Fords one being a Sierra Cosworth, the other Fords have been GTs.

All great cars.

YGOSLO

Tim41
17-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Tony, There you go again, about the Fords. Saying that they are the better of the two Brands. You and I both know that the HSV's Kick ass on the Fords for power and quality. Fords are good, but with the amount of Money Ford spends with the two magazines in advertising, they would want to say something good about the Fords. I still want you to bring your New GT out to the track and see what it has really got.

YGOSLO
17-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Please note my comments in the Thread which "I stated straight line grunt does not maketh a good performance car"

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to note the difference in 0-100km, we all know and can read the figures. Read the Wheels Mag April, the end result was that FPV are the better option.

Getting back to a the Track and in particular the so called Modern Muscle Car Shoot Out at Morgan Park Qld, pity the organiser did not know the difference from a HSV GTS or a standard Monaro to a BA Gt to a BF GT. As stated in the Falcon GT Owners Club Mag. " A TOTAL MISMATCH WITH 2 HOLDENS THAT HAD BIG DOLLARS SPENT ON THEM,TO A STANDARD BLACK FORD GT.

TROPHY BY DEFAULT------- NO CONTEST

Getting back to the a good performance vehicle FPV would have it over HSV, but it may change with the new VE.

Regards

YGOSLO

Tim41
18-07-2006, 05:22 PM
You just have to go to the drags to see that the Fords can't perform. I tend to believe what I see with my eyesy not what I read in a book. As for Morgan Park Bob's car does not have big money spent on it. I could win with a stock Monaro against A GT.

YGOSLO
19-07-2006, 07:56 PM
As normal Tim you are talking out of your exhaust pipe. You stated performance and quality but you failed to mention resale prices of HSV Vehicles. How much did you loose on your last Maloo Ute which you sold after 18 months.

NO one in the HSV Club of Qld ever talk about their resale values.

I WONDER WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

YGOSLO

Tim41
19-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Resale for a HSV is much better than that of a GT. In gact Ford's in General have terrible resale value. I lost about $12000 on my Maloo which is very reasonable in 18 months. Now if you compared A Ford I am sure it would be more. Hmmm... what is they say, You can paint up Ford with a fancy paint job put it will always be a Lada....

murph_fan51
19-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Both brands loose heaps of money....End of story! Talking about re-sale, it is the japenese vehicles that loose the most.

SIKGMH
11-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Both brands loose heaps of money....End of story! Talking about re-sale, it is the japenese vehicles that loose the most.

Funny how you say that. My brother bought his Honda S2000 for 42, had it for 2 and a half years, sold it for 38.

sideeways
22-08-2007, 02:37 AM
hi guys! its me again! haha its been a year and i still havent gotten a HSV. have been playing ard with bmws all year, now i really really feel like a HSV! im lookin at a 2000 model VT2 clubsport, the one with the 6 speed i think. i really have no clue what im in for. any advice? anything to look out for? besides the standard LSD, what else shd i replace if i were to do some trackdays? is there huge difference between the vt1 and 2? o and last question. how much would u pay for one? i noe wat redbook says or wat people are selling but how much isiit really worth? thanks guys! :))

Tim41
23-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Hi Sideeways, The difference between a VT2 and a VT1 is that the VT2 had the Gen3 LS1 5.7 Litre (255KW) whereas the VT1 had the 5.0 Litre (225KW), so there is a difference in capacity, also the the LS1 is an all alloy motor and the 5.0 Litre is a cast iron Block. They are both good options it just depends on what your preferance is. As for suggestions of alterations that can be done for Track days, I would suggest upgrading your suspension to a heavier duty spring and Shock combo with maybe a lower ride height, and maybe a strut tower brace to reduce the flex in the strut towers. A set of high performance brake pads something like Ferrodo's or Bendix Ultimates it will reduce the amount of Brake fade you will have on the track, If you have a few dollors to spend I would suggest upgrading to either a four piston or Six piston combo for a much stronger brake package. The values stated in Redbook and Glass guides are usually pretty accurate representations of what they are worth, the values can sometimes vary depending on the condition of the vehicle.