PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug leads

Clubbie Geoff
13-06-2006, 10:18 AM
I have a problem with one of my spark plug leads (I think it is breaking down) however I found the lead very difficult to remove. I did not wish to force it so I left it on for now, do they slide sraight off or is there a something I'm not doing?

Generation Motorsport
13-06-2006, 12:31 PM
rip the sucker off, they can be quite tight at times, but it must come off. some times i have to use pliers on the plug ends to get em' its pretty common to have to replace them, we have seen them die at 30k, any reputable brand is a worthy replacement. we recommend magnacore leads, and carry them in stock (if your local) at a fraction of the cost of the low performance standard items.

cheers
GM

MattyMayhem
13-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Why would they get that stuck down? They dont...melt?...do they?

Clubbie Geoff
14-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks Generation Motorsport pliers it is, I had thought of that but it did seem a bit drastic I was afraid of damaging something.

Generation Motorsport
15-06-2006, 11:36 AM
naa, they dont usually melt, some are just a tight snap on to the plug, you need to grab the metal sleeve, and pull it with a wiggle, some fall off, and some don't. but always put the sleeves on the new leads.

cheers
GM

Clubbie Geoff
23-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Hello all,

After some hand-to-hand combat with the old leads I managed to get the new ones on. These are 8.8mm dual core twin firing leads made by Spitfire and have made a small but noticeable difference to power & economy as well as a smoother idle. I would recommend these to anyone.

Clubbie Geoff
26-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Generation Motorsport, why is it necessary to put the metal sleeves on the new leads? I did but the leads were always becoming loose on the plugs so I removed the sleeves, will this cause a problem?

Sonny@Marranos
26-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Generation Motorsport, why is it necessary to put the metal sleeves on the new leads? I did but the leads were always becoming loose on the plugs so I removed the sleeves, will this cause a problem?

The reason the sleeves are there is to protect the leads from the heat,if you leave them of,it will certainley shorten the life of the leads,also next time you goto remove olds leads that are pretty tight,dont ripem off,simply twist it left to right to "break" the seal and they simply pull off.If its ls1 we are talking bout here,the factory "red" coloured leads are very good,better then most aftermarket,hope this helps.

:)

regards sonny