PDA

View Full Version : Track days

Tyler5
05-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Hi guys
I hope this is in the right spot but I want to do some Drive/ track days what's the best way to get involved in these I'm in Victoria what clubs do I need to join I just want to have some fun and drive my GTS the way it was made for without worrying about any cops
Thanks guys

Smitty
06-08-2017, 09:05 AM
.. two ways

run with ppl like Tampered Motor Sport or Driver Dynamics (look up their websites for details)
no need to join a car club BUT you must follow their specific rules (licencing car prep etc)
or
join a CAMS associated car club (I belong to several like ...PIARC and Vic V8s)
and
then get on mailing lists/watch their race calendars for events (sprints, hillclimbs, supersprints etc)
You need to follow the CAMS rules (all laid out in their motorsport manual.. hardcopy and online)
re licencing, safety inc helmet, clothing and car prep but you can run in any event held by your club
...or ANY multiclub event (run by another club like Nissan or Maserati car clubs)

hth

Tyler5
06-08-2017, 11:24 PM
Thanks Smithy I will look into these clubs and might come down to have a look at a meeting when I get the chance

TPKW30
07-08-2017, 07:29 AM
Thanks Smithy I will look into these clubs and might come down to have a look at a meeting when I get the chance

It will be the best fun you can have with your clothes on........

Pickles
07-08-2017, 08:47 AM
You need to join the HSV Owners Club (Vic), which is Cams affiliated & who run ultra professional track days to CAMS rules.
There are various classes & you can go as slow or as fast as you like. They also have "Try" days where you can come along & just have a try, to see if you want to go any further.
The HSVOC has a lot more going for it than Track days though. Check out the website & talk to a committee member.
Pickles.

Smitty
07-08-2017, 10:30 AM
You need to join the HSV Owners Club (Vic), which is Cams affiliated & who run ultra professional track days to CAMS rules.
There are various classes & you can go as slow or as fast as you like. They also have "Try" days where you can come along & just have a try, to see if you want to go any further.
The HSVOC has a lot more going for it than Track days though. Check out the website & talk to a committee member.
Pickles.

Martin is right... I have run on HSVOC days at Sandown over the years and they run a good event !

Tyler5
07-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Hi Pickles I am actually a member I have been for 12 months but the last 2 drive days I could not make due to previous commitments and I think the next one falls when I'm away so the sandown drive day in Feb next year is the next one I can make I was hoping to get a day or two in this year

Pickles
08-08-2017, 07:29 AM
Hi Pickles I am actually a member I have been for 12 months but the last 2 drive days I could not make due to previous commitments and I think the next one falls when I'm away so the sandown drive day in Feb next year is the next one I can make I was hoping to get a day or two in this year
No worries, hope you're enjoying the Club.
However, if you want more, then "Smitty" who is on this thread is your man. He has a very nice VK which he races, & which He has built/engineered himself. You should PM him, & I'm sure He will be able to give you all the advice you need.
Pickles.

Nath
08-08-2017, 09:01 AM
.. two ways

run with ppl like Tampered Motor Sport or Driver Dynamics (look up their websites for details)
no need to join a car club BUT you must follow their specific rules (licencing car prep etc)

I have joined in with both of these 'track day' offerings. Tampered generally attract the JDM crowd and DD the euro (generally lots of nice eye candy!).

Sandown has been pretty tight with noise restrictions at late, i got pulled up with my 3" resonated exhaust on my Maloo (but let off with a warning!) Still amazes me the residents complaining when the track was there before them.......!

Smitty
08-08-2017, 12:55 PM
I have joined in with both of these 'track day' offerings. Tampered generally attract the JDM crowd and DD the euro (generally lots of nice eye candy!).

Sandown has been pretty tight with noise restrictions at late, i got pulled up with my 3" resonated exhaust on my Maloo (but let off with a warning!) Still amazes me the residents complaining when the track was there before them.......!

yeah... I am seeing street cars being pinged for noise at Sandown (presently over 77dB) but if they (council and EPA) move it down to 75dB, going to be tuff to run anything at Sandown. Sandown have also recently gone to TWO measuring points.. front straight just before the grandstand .. and a worse spot 2/3rd the way up the back straight just before you go under the bridge when everybody is at WOT full noise.. if they are chasing a decent lap time.

Noise is an issue at motor racing circuits .... even PI is 95 (used to be NOT rated) And I don't get it, Sandown was built in empty paddocks in the early 60s. You build a house near a racing track?.. get used to the noise but no... the bloody residents who came later have gone to the EPA and the council complaining the noise detracts from THEIR lifestyle. Idiots...

Agree re the DD track days (dunno whether it is worth the extra coin though ;) ) but the Tampered Days (reasonable cost wise and well run) are attracting everything... Fazzs', HSV's, sports sedans, ricers, Dattos a reasonable mix based on my last couple of outings with them

Tyler5
08-08-2017, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys I will get along to at least one of these days but I'm just about to fit a 3inch Di Filippo cat back so now I'm abit worried I might be to loud

oldracer
09-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Bit of history, PI was always 75db for sprint meets except a couple of "full noise" meets which cost extra, going back 20 years, nice to see they're all 95 now, Sandown will be very interesting with a 3" DiFillipo and 100 cat backs ��

Tyler5
09-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Yes I might have to see how loud it is before I go hopefully it is close enough