PDA

View Full Version : VE1 R8 Amp and sub install

simo
09-04-2017, 12:53 PM
I have searched far and wide for a how to but i can't find one. Is it possible to hook an amp up to run a 12" sub straight from the boot without wiring from the head unit? The 8" subs are ok but i want deeper bass. I've read of people hooking up an amp just to run a sub but am yet to find a how to.

I don't want to run new speakers, i am happy with the vocals, i have turned the existing amp up to 3/4 and changed the wires around on the 8" subs but i still want more bass.

07GTS
09-04-2017, 01:00 PM
u can run an amp from the wiring in the boost but there is no trigger so will have to use the input sensing for turn on, the factory sub just has the rear speakers run thru it for the sub sound so its all there just has to be rewired for an external amp then off to what ever sub u want

QIKMIK
09-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Yes. Call me. PM sent.

Mick

xplaya
20-04-2017, 08:17 AM
u can run an amp from the wiring in the boost but there is no trigger so will have to use the input sensing for turn on, the factory sub just has the rear speakers run thru it for the sub sound so its all there just has to be rewired for an external amp then off to what ever sub u want

Can anyone explain this? So there is NO remote wire in the stock amp loom? I was going to wire the new amp to this loom when I get around to doing it, but if there is no remote wire. Does the stock AMP stay on 24/7?

Also where/what's the easiest place to wire the remote trigger from? Anything in the boot?

white_lie
20-04-2017, 09:42 AM
It doesn't stay on 24/7 but likely just runs completely off the ignition. It's not a big amp by any means so would be possible to run it directly off a fused ignition source.
I'm sure you could pinch that as a power source but it will be on even if the HU is off if that's the case. Otherwise do as 07 says and get an amp that turns on with sound detection

07GTS
20-04-2017, 12:29 PM
the stock head unit and amp use the "can" data or speaker input for amp to turn on and off it just has a constant power to it otherwise

xplaya
20-04-2017, 01:06 PM
the stock head unit and amp use the "can" data or speaker input for amp to turn on and off it just has a constant power to it otherwise

Would it be wise to cut into the Stock loom and use this as a remote wire if its coming off the can data?

xplaya
20-04-2017, 01:08 PM
I found a post online

Dont quote me but its something about running a line convertor from your stock amp into your new amp and then to the new sub...

What is your thoughts about this setup? Is this ok to do (Not to much power)? Plugging a LOC up to the stock amp speaker output then onto the new AMP? This would save me chewing through the rear door wires?

07GTS
20-04-2017, 06:41 PM
the head unit uses "can" and i think the rear amp uses speaker inputs (all tho it turns on before sound so maby can also) i have a media player in mine for the screen and i wanted a trigger so it stayed on with the head unit but there is none so i ended up using a timer so its triggered with accessories on and stays on for an hour after loss of acc power (or any set time) then turns off

QIKMIK
20-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Aerpro APU8SUM. Same as the AudioControl LC8i. Has remote trigger from audio signal.

https://aerpro.com/apu8sum

Mick

xplaya
21-04-2017, 07:05 AM
Aerpro APU8SUM. Same as the AudioControl LC8i. Has remote trigger from audio signal.

https://aerpro.com/apu8sum

Mick

Im trying to think why i would need so many RCA input/outputs? Do they have a smaller version lol

xplaya
21-04-2017, 07:06 AM
the head unit uses "can" and i think the rear amp uses speaker inputs (all tho it turns on before sound so maby can also) i have a media player in mine for the screen and i wanted a trigger so it stayed on with the head unit but there is none so i ended up using a timer so its triggered with accessories on and stays on for an hour after loss of acc power (or any set time) then turns off

What is this timer you talking about?

07GTS
21-04-2017, 12:27 PM
its just a timer we sell at work its like a turbo timer but with a longer time available and u choose the trigger, just have constant power to one side then u can use accessories or ignition power in which switches it on then it will stay on until the trigger is removed then the timer starts i have it for an hour, or if it gets the trigger again before it times out it just stays on till it looses trigger again then timer starts ect, they are good quality and prob not the cheapest but maby even like jaycar may have something like it in a kit maby but not sure of there quality

QIKMIK
22-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Im trying to think why i would need so many RCA input/outputs? Do they have a smaller version lolThere are others on the site (2- and 4-channel) but it doesn't say if they do the speaker/remote trigger thing.

If you do fronts, rears and subs with aftermarket amps, you'll use at least three of the four pairs.

Mick

xplaya
26-04-2017, 06:43 AM
I see. :) Thats ok played around with it over the weekend.

Ended up finding a remote ACC wire near the stereo panel and ran it back to the boot (Seems like there is NO 12v acc wire in the original AMP loom at all? Or I couldn't find it. Maybe the stock amp uses signal sensing to turn on?

Connected into the speaker output from the original loom fine, so all is working.

simo
27-04-2017, 06:28 PM
I've done some more reading. So can i connect the line out converter to the sub wires from the parcel shelf and then have RCA outputs for amp then just connect power to battery and im done?

I dont mind only having the sub only on when the car is running so i shouldn't have to worry about a 12v acc wire?

QIKMIK
27-04-2017, 09:35 PM
So can i connect the line out converter to the sub wires from the parcel shelf and then have RCA outputs for amp then just connect power to battery and im done?Pretty much. I'll have to let you have a squizz at my set up. PM sent.

Mick

simo
27-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Sweet mate, I'm not back until Sunday week after next now but keen after that.

xplaya
28-04-2017, 06:39 AM
I've done some more reading. So can i connect the line out converter to the sub wires from the parcel shelf and then have RCA outputs for amp then just connect power to battery and im done?

I was originally going to do this, but then the thought of 2 amps running when the car is powered down worried me. And wondered if that was too much power from the 1st amp to LOC then to the 2nd amp if that had any issues / distortion?
Anyone know how long the original AMP stays on for before turning off?

Also doesn't a LOC require remote wire?

QIKMIK
28-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Also doesn't a LOC require remote wire?The Aerpro item doesn't. Speaker level sensing. Voodoo magic but it works.

Mick

simo
28-04-2017, 12:55 PM
I've looked more into it and i have no idea how long it runs for after car is powered down but there is heaps of people doing it this way. Just running the LOC to the left and right sub, and then connecting to battery. I'm not going to do it for a couple of week but i just took out the centre dash speaker, turned the amp up and reversed the polarity on the subs and the improvement is second to none. Now i just need some deep bass and i am set. The system sounded so pox but now it is bearable. I'm not going all out as i prefer to have the window down listening to the V8.

simo
21-06-2017, 12:42 PM
All installed and sounds pretty good, did the splits in the front and still powered them off the stock headunit. I just bought cheap kenwood splits as i'm not amping them but the sound is an amazing improvement, the highs it was missing before are now there. The 10" sub really adds the extra deep bass it was missing before.

Bought a heap of dynamat off a mate cheap so in the process of doing the doors and parcel shelf. Super easy to do, just time consuming.

QIKMIK
21-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Nice work, mate. Good to hear it. Did you end up grabbing the Aerpro LOC?

Mick

xplaya
27-06-2017, 02:07 PM
All installed and sounds pretty good, did the splits in the front and still powered them off the stock headunit. I just bought cheap kenwood splits as i'm not amping them but the sound is an amazing improvement, the highs it was missing before are now there. The 10" sub really adds the extra deep bass it was missing before.

Bought a heap of dynamat off a mate cheap so in the process of doing the doors and parcel shelf. Super easy to do, just time consuming.

Did you have run a Remote wire to the LOC? Or how are you powering the Amp? I notice you wrote, direct to the battery in the previous post>?

simo
05-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Nice work, mate. Good to hear it. Did you end up grabbing the Aerpro LOC?

Mick

Nah mate, ended up being tight and got a LOC from Jaycar for $14. Did the job just fine for the sub. Got the boot and parcel shelf dynamatted before i went away with work too. Has stopped 95% of the rattles in the boot and sounds heaps better as well. Just need to do the two front doors when i get home.

Did you have run a Remote wire to the LOC? Or how are you powering the Amp? I notice you wrote, direct to the battery in the previous post>?

Powered from the battery and ended up grabbing the remote wire from the back of the glovebox, was way easier than i thought