PDA

View Full Version : Leather Steering Wheel Care

HSV8R8
15-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Anyone got any tips on Leather steering wheel care.

I have a 01 VX and it's steering wheel is in excellent condition and I have 02 R8 and it is in average condition.

Is there anything i can do to restore the leather without making the wheel slippery, and any tips on ongoing protection,

The leather seems to 'breakdown' and become a touch sticky - not a lot, just enough to be noticable.

GTS215
19-07-2005, 09:58 PM
If the wheel still has a fair bit of leather left try Shoe Polish. My leather steering wheel was worn down and in some areas had no leather left at all, after laying a few coats of Charcoal boot polish down and giving it a good polish the wheel came up brand new.

HSV8R8
20-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanx for the tip GTS215.

I'll try that. - no problems with boot polish on hands or slippery wheel I take it then?

GTS215
20-07-2005, 01:52 PM
No issues at all with shoe polish , only to say make sure you polish thoroughly else you’ll end up with black hands and then you end up wiping your face (unintentionally) which then looks like you been cleaning chimneys :shock:

-HSV-
29-07-2005, 02:02 PM
on my VT calais (leather trim) i use meguirs gold class leather cleaner/conditioner. it makes it slipperly but not slippery enough for it to be dangerous.

the boot polish sounds like a good idea though!

HSV GOD
30-09-2005, 05:13 AM
what brand of shoe polish? and can it be used on a MOMO steering wheel as i would cry :cry: if i ruined my MOMO steering wheel

GTS215
31-10-2005, 12:10 PM
what brand of shoe polish? and can it be used on a MOMO steering wheel as i would cry :cry: if i ruined my MOMO steering wheel

Any genuine leather polish will do but im not sure about your momo wheel, if its 100% leather and needs to be touch up i can't see any problems with using leather polish but maybe double check with a momo seller.

murph_fan51
12-03-2006, 08:23 PM
My steering wheel is perfect condition (VT2 SS Phantom Black), whenever I park it in the sun (I always try to park it in shade & is garaged mostly), put a sunshade up. Not only does it protect the dash board but the wheel too.

GTS215
14-03-2006, 05:04 PM
My steering wheel is perfect condition (VT2 SS Phantom Black), whenever I park it in the sun (I always try to park it in shade & is garaged mostly), put a sunshade up. Not only does it protect the dash board but the wheel too.

Totally agree any type of sun protection like a sunshade will dramatically reduce sun damage to the dash and steering wheel. Nothing worse than seeing a sun damaged dash.