PDA

View Full Version : LS2 vs LS1

Young Cub
12-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I'd like to know which engine (doesn't matter which vehicle clubsport, maloo, grange etc.) has better fuel economy around the city, highway, track and anywhere else between the LS1 (GenIII) or the newly released LS2. Because I'd like to get a HSV when I turn around to my late 20's or 30's... And could you suggest any hints ony buying a HSV?

HSV8R8
15-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Cant comment on LS2, however with LS1 my experience is anything between 10L/100km highway running, and aprox 17L/100km round the city. This includes having a bit of fun at least 10%of the time - that does suck the juice :lol:

That's in a VX II Clubsport R8 2002

When I bought my'n I looked for low km, overall condition, inside and out, log book service history. And Value for money, once you see a few and what people are asking, you'll get a feel for it, and you'll know value for money when you see it.

Issues I have had repaired under warranty were, gear shifter kit, waterpump, seat base, back seat, z-bar bush.

-HSV-
16-07-2005, 03:09 PM
**moved from general to mechanical section**

the best way to find out which one is best is to take each of the cars for a spin. find a road that you can set cruise at 100 and watch the instant fuel reading. compare both vehicles on both the highway and in the city, and then weigh up the comparisons of both economy and power and take your pick from there :D

ozemuscle1
18-07-2005, 01:15 AM
If you believe the press, the LS2 is a better consumer. I'd say it would be for someone with a bit of a leadfoot, coz the LS2 is reputedly a lot torquier down low than the LS1.

Generation Motorsport
22-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Great choice in your dream ride

with our 300kw tuned LS1 monaro it uses 8.7L/100k driving on a trip,
cruisin around town is 15L/100km (mind you chasin a few runs). cant comment on the LS2 as we havent got into one yet.

cheers
GM

-HSV-
22-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Great choice in your dream ride

with our 300kw tuned LS1 monaro it uses 8.7L/100k driving on a trip,
cruisin around town is 15L/100km (mind you chasin a few runs). cant comment on the LS2 as we havent got into one yet.

cheers
GMand when you do get hold of one, keep us updated please :D

toddsta
07-08-2005, 02:22 AM
Hey Young Cub. I has a VT series 2 SS which had improved fuel economy after an LS1 edit reflash. I now own a VZ Clubby. The LS2 gets far better economy on long trips (both cars were pigs in urban traffic). The LS2 is happy to lug along at 80km/hr in 6th and have enough torque to pull away. The Gen III couldn't pull the maggots off a rotten pork chop at aything under 120 km/hr in top. 6th was this infrequently used, and fuel ecnomy suffered

Generation Motorsport
08-08-2005, 10:06 AM
i would say it all comes down to tuning, if done correctly, a genn 111 should pull cleanly and strongly in 6th from 80ks (1200 rpm). the torque difference between a 5.7 and a 6.0 would be small, especially in a 1600kg car. with the MAF retained, drivability should be retained, and fuel economy should improve. the only way to honestly test them is to have the 2 donks tuned the same, like how do you compare a 285kw 5.7, to a 297kw 6.0, of course the 6.0 will feel better torque wise. i dont know if it is in the new computer, but the american versions have a fuel saving program where on cruise the vcm cancells 4cyl at random, and when you increase throttle position, instantly you are runnin on all 8 again. that would obviously increase economy. i cant wait to have a look into 1.
cheers
GM

-HSV-
08-08-2005, 12:27 PM
on saturday i had my first drive of a VZ clubby, and hell, did it go!

that 6lt LS2 has a shit load of bottom end and even up high she feels like shes screaming!

have a look at my topic in general about driving a VZ clubby for my full reveiw!

GTS215
08-08-2005, 12:52 PM
i would say it all comes down to tuning, if done correctly, a genn 111 should pull cleanly and strongly in 6th from 80ks (1200 rpm). the torque difference between a 5.7 and a 6.0 would be small, especially in a 1600kg car. with the MAF retained, drivability should be retained, and fuel economy should improve. GM

Tuned correctly a Mafless tune can also reatain its drivability.

and when you do get hold of one, keep us updated please

The LS2 tune is already out and has seen promising results.

-HSV-
08-08-2005, 02:51 PM
The LS2 tune is already out and has seen promising results.ahh ok cool. damn, those thigns would be frightening with much more power :eek:

Generation Motorsport
08-08-2005, 03:06 PM
how does that saying go, enough power is ok, more is better, too much is perfect.
GM

-HSV-
08-08-2005, 03:56 PM
how does that saying go, enough power is ok, more is better, too much is perfect.
GMthats understandable. i remember when i got my 5lt VT i thought it went quite hard, now im bored with it (about 150-160rwkw), then i got behind the wheel of this VZ clubby and its was beatiful. the torque was unreal! i could see myself getting sick of even that though ;)

GTS215
08-08-2005, 04:07 PM
The LS2 tune is already out and has seen promising results.ahh ok cool. damn, those thigns would be frightening with much more power :eek:
Your not wrong, it hasn't been out for that long and its still a fair way of being mastered like it was for the LS1, however a few guys have seen good gains with 'conservative' tunes

toddsta
09-08-2005, 12:25 AM
yeah. just took my VZ in for some minor warranty work and the guys were telling me they could get an LS2 edit done for me at the same time. They suggested another 35kw at the wheels. Might get it done at next service, will let ya know.

-HSV-
09-08-2005, 11:13 AM
yeah. just took my VZ in for some minor warranty work and the guys were telling me they could get an LS2 edit done for me at the same time. They suggested another 35kw at the wheels. Might get it done at next service, will let ya know.sweet, keep us updated.

does anyone know what sort of RWKW (or RWHP) a stock VZ LS2 would pull?

GTS215
09-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Around the 240 rwkw.

Wilko21
17-08-2005, 08:04 PM
i would say it all comes down to tuning, if done correctly, a genn 111 should pull cleanly and strongly in 6th from 80ks (1200 rpm). the torque difference between a 5.7 and a 6.0 would be small, especially in a 1600kg car. with the MAF retained, drivability should be retained, and fuel economy should improve. the only way to honestly test them is to have the 2 donks tuned the same, like how do you compare a 285kw 5.7, to a 297kw 6.0, of course the 6.0 will feel better torque wise. i dont know if it is in the new computer, but the american versions have a fuel saving program where on cruise the vcm cancells 4cyl at random, and when you increase throttle position, instantly you are runnin on all 8 again. that would obviously increase economy. i cant wait to have a look into 1.
cheers
GM

I'm pretty sure that you're talking about Displacement On Demand technology. Or DOD.

-HSV-
18-08-2005, 10:41 AM
cheers
GM

I'm pretty sure that you're talking about Displacement On Demand technology. Or DOD.
yep, thats what its called. they also have limp mode, where one cylinder can shut down and yo9u can 'limp' to the nearest 'help'.

VZ R8
09-09-2005, 08:32 PM
cheers
GM

the torque difference between a LS1 and LS2 in quite big , i have had a manual SS50 , an auto SS50 which i have been tuned with di fillipos extractors and CAI both don't even come close to the LS2 in low down power .The stock LS2 does not quite have the power of a modded LS1 but will not take much to overcome this . As a demonstration of the torque the LS2 has you can be at a standstill on level ground .. put it in 4th gear (no typo) without accelerating steadily release the clutch and the car (mine is a ute) will move off .

I am putting a 3" di fillipo system on mine this weekend and have got a LS2 edit tune being sent over as i write this care of Tuna .... will post the results once it gets to a dyno :p

Generation Motorsport
10-09-2005, 09:07 AM
our LS1 will also idle off in 4th, the reality is if both engines makes 300kw, then they both have the same power, as the 6lt is less than 5.5% displacement increase, then you should expect at least a 5.5% increase in torque. Obviously, bigger is better. and a LS2 with a stock exhaust is gonna pull sweet as, off idle compared to anything with larger, free flowing exhaust. Apples and oranges, so lets tune the orange. Remember, MOST gen111's out there were detuned, and needed a touch up, i think we will be getting the gen4 pretty well up there (as far as standard tunes go) but looking forward to playing with them, thats for sure.

cheers
GM

ozemuscle1
14-09-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that you're talking about Displacement On Demand technology. Or DOD.most Chevy SUVs have it, so does the Chrysler 300c and other Chryslers with the new "Hemi" in them. DOD may or may not get to Au.

Generation Motorsport
25-09-2005, 11:00 AM
please read the rare drag thread, about our encounter with a LS2 clubby

cheers
GM

HotClubby
22-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Hi Guys and Girls

I have owned both a LS1 (2004) HSV S2 Maloo and my current ride VZ Clubsport. I have noticed a big change in the torqe down low as well as a very small change to fuel consumption (both cars are driven the same)

The maloo had an average 13.9 to 14.9 l/100 and the Clubby is running 12.9 to 13.9 this changes when driving style changes.
The best i have got granny driving shifting at 2grand was 12.5l/100

I have just received my dual 3' defillipo cat back exhaust and will be installing in about 3 weeks so I'll advise on how much of a difference it makes.

EDIT: VZ R8 did the 3' system make much of a difference?
I cant install mine for a few weeks till i'm back from the mines.

VZ R8
05-11-2005, 04:24 PM
mine made 255 rw with the exhaust done and 285 rw with the tune

i am yet to take it down the strip but will do in 3 weeks time . Also waiting for some air filters to come in for the otr cai before it gets set up properly and remove the maf completely . With the tune it picked up all thru the rev range not just top end :)

MattyMayhem
10-11-2005, 02:25 AM
but wouldnt you just asume that the LS2 is based on new engine technology and naturally it has an improved fuel economy? I mean why would HSV bring out a thirstier donk when i read somewhere that they didnt want rising fuel prices to affect sales?

Do you think they will keep the LS2 standard on VZII models?

hsvcarstereo
09-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Had a VYII Clubby (manual) for two years and upgraded to the VZ LS2 three months ago. Already getting on average around an extra 50kms to the tank around the city. Cant wait to go on a serious long run and how it goes. Feels like double the horsepower over the LS1 also. Well done HSV .... still cant get the smile off my face :-)