PDA

View Full Version : insurance at what cost?

paulb
11-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Hope this isn't an old subject but I have just registered and about to buy an hsv.
Any ideas as to whom to go to for insurance, I have max no claim,retired and accident free for 25 years
Paulb

-HSV-
11-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Hope this isn't an old subject but I have just registered and about to buy an hsv.
Any ideas as to whom to go to for insurance, I have max no claim,retired and accident free for 25 years
Paulbumm, shannons, or just car...

have a search around in the yellow pages and on the net. they are my first two suggestions that come to mind :)

Tim
11-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Everyone always says "shannons or justcars" and they are expensive and crap. I suggest NRMA. I have had my HSV insured through them for the past 2 years and found them to be the best. I did alot of shopping around and at the age of 23 they were willing to insure me and were the cheapest. Thats my suggestion. :D

GTS215
11-07-2005, 05:26 PM
You could also try CGU who have a low-Km policy as do Shannons, if you average 10000ks or less a year you get a considerable discount rom CGU and there very reasonable. Having the car garage will also reduce your premiums as does alarms and the area you live in. But being retired and having no claims for a 1/4 century you should be getting a pretty good price.

Blownvsute
11-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Paulb
I think I fit in the "old man" catergory as well,so I would suggest Shannons...Most of the staff are car enthusiasts and you can get a decent deal out of them,especially if your HSV is gonna fit into the 0-4000km or 4000-8000km per year catergory..By the way,what HSV did you buy?

paulb
13-07-2005, 01:23 PM
haven't bought yet, have a 94 caprice with chip upgrade,cold air induction,full extractors,biltstein shocks goes well but after nearly 9 years together I need a new set of quick wheels...vz clubsport sounds good
paulb

HSV8R8
15-07-2005, 10:24 PM
I have found not just anyone will insure HSV, however, my best quote was from Suncorp.

-HSV-
16-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I have found not just anyone will insure HSV, however, my best quote was from Suncorp.i know someone who was insured with them. he had his genIII WH statesman insured with them, but decided to sell the car cos he found out it wasnt covering his 21 (i think) year old mrs!!!

HSV8R8
16-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Your right -HSV-. Insurance is a mine field.

Just checking my paperwork. My policy does have provision for younger drivers, but the excess is huge.

16-19yrs $1650*
20-21yrs $1450*
22-24yrs $1250*
25yrs and over $200*

These are ON TOP of my excess. Makes you think twice about letting anyone else drive the thing.

VTSS350
17-07-2005, 11:25 AM
For anyone that says go to NRMA you should have a look at there new policys.

Every car will have to be taken to a cetral repair centre to be assesed and photos sent to panel beaters to bid on for the repair. This means it will be even more cut throat. Panel beaters might start cutting corners to win jobs and still make money from them.

NRMA also wants to charge you to take your car to a repairer of your choice.

NRMA are going downhill fast. Avoid them like the plague

stirlr01
17-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Over here in Perth the big two are RAC and SGIO.

I have my VP SS insured with SGIO @ $1100 a year - that's with the car registered and insured under my dad's name (i'm 21), with me as a listed driver. I think it's a $250 excess plus an age excess of about $500 if i crash it. It's insured for $11000

My VP Clubsport 5000i is insured with RAC for $14000 (they wouldn't let me insure it for more than i paid for the car, despite the fact i got a great price on the car because the seller was out in the country and had to get rid of it). My premium with RAC is $650 a year, again insured and registered through my dad, but i am yet to put myself as a listed driver on his policy (i'd say it'll add a few hundred to the premium, probably take it up to around the same as the SS).

Anyways just though you'd like to know prices over here.

Ryan

Tim
19-07-2005, 10:51 AM
For anyone that says go to NRMA you should have a look at there new policys.

Every car will have to be taken to a cetral repair centre to be assesed and photos sent to panel beaters to bid on for the repair. This means it will be even more cut throat. Panel beaters might start cutting corners to win jobs and still make money from them.

NRMA also wants to charge you to take your car to a repairer of your choice.

NRMA are going downhill fast. Avoid them like the plague

NRMA also guarantee the repairs for the life of the vehicle so if they do cut corners then the panel beaters will have to repair it again off their own back. Sounds good to me if it keeps the premiums down.

hsv6000
24-07-2005, 03:26 PM
i actually had my hsv insured with shannons, i found them the cheapest around considering i was under 25,it was $2100 NRMA wanted $5000 so in my past experiences shannons i recommend

nos_neon
04-08-2005, 05:15 PM
it really dependz on hoo ur insured wif.....different insurance company offer different prices.......as go for everythin

mrhsv1
09-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Just in case you didn't know, CGU is owned by NRMA.
Secondly I agree with one of you who suggested to avoid NRMA like the plague. I switched form NRMA to GIO, because of this new policy NRMA brought in just recently.
What gets up my nose is however, this mob Budget Direct. When you get on line to get a quick quote, they have all the information regarding HSV's, and you fill in all your details, where you live, if its garaged etc etc, and then they turn around and tell you these cars are not underwritten by them.
How do you work that out?
The point is we want to buy an Aussie product, spend thousands of dollars despite the enormous depreciation over the next few years, install all these different alarms and GPS's, and we have to put up all this BS and discrimination from all the top 10 insurance companies.
It's a joke.
:oops:

MzSENATOR
18-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Your from perth try Famous classic car insurance..
they are good and from WA..
just cars is a rip off i found until im off my p's RACV were expensive..

try Famous their great :)

as_hsv
25-08-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm 21 and own a vs clubsport (lowered, 18"rims, stereo) and have the car insured under my name with the vehicles value at $20,000 and i am paying $1100 per year. It falls in the <8000 kms per year cat though.

Just shop around though, try everyone first and then take the one which has the most features that you are after.