PDA

View Full Version : What mods do you think it will take?

GenF-GTS
03-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Interested in hearing people's opinions on this;

What mods and supporting mods eg fuel pump injectors etc do you think it will take to get a full weight VF GTS Automatic with drag radials to run a low 11 second p***?
What HP do you think it will need?

WM-E3
03-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Genuine 550 rwhp

GenF-GTS
03-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Genuine 550 rwhp

And what mods do you think it will need to get that?

WM-E3
03-07-2016, 05:10 PM
There are many ways to skin a fox ! What did you have in mind ?

DylanMaloo
03-07-2016, 05:44 PM
An interchiller whould be a good start :)

white_lie
03-07-2016, 06:11 PM
The ice box is an unnecessary expense if you're trying to do it with as little as possible. Nothing in the brief about doing it time after time within minutes of each other.

Intake, exhaust, boost and tune should get it close no?

GenF-GTS
03-07-2016, 06:39 PM
The ice box is an unnecessary expense if you're trying to do it with as little as possible. Nothing in the brief about doing it time after time within minutes of each other.

How much boost? How much to overdrive the blower?
So with those mods you would need supporting mods such as injectors?

NickGts
03-07-2016, 06:48 PM

Should get close what about HP though
I haven't a foggy
More that's my answer!!

NickGts
03-07-2016, 07:08 PM
I'm 28% lower pulley, headers, CAI tune, Interchiller do 11.5's with drag radials currently
As for RWHP reckon I'm 525ish so more!!

Eors
03-07-2016, 07:10 PM
The chiller will still make a difference on a single run...the colder the intake air the better the volumetric efficiency..denser air charge...more horsepower...wheels turn quicker...faster times

GenF-GTS
03-07-2016, 07:18 PM
I'm lower pulley, headers, CAI tune, Interchiller do 11.5's with drag radials currently
As for RWHP reckon I'm 525ish

Over driven the blower by how much?
Supporting mods? Injectors? Fuel pump?
Race cats or stock?
Full exhaust or just headers?

white_lie
03-07-2016, 09:01 PM
The chiller will still make a difference on a single run...the colder the intake air the better the volumetric efficiency..denser air charge...more horsepower...wheels turn quicker...faster times
I reckon spending the 2-3k on a set of diff gears would yield a greater improvement. Could probably even add a converter and still have change.

Why is it that when you want to make an NA car as quick as possible, theres more focus on gearing and suspension, yet most people running ultra quick times in the F's still run stock gear? Anyone actually tried it at the strip yet? Old mate put 3.7's in his GTS Maloo and said it woke it up so surely not a bad thing?

You'd need injectors and probably close to needing something done with the pump side of things but no idea what pump they run. The E85 VE pumps would handle 550rwhp.

NickGts
03-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Over driven the blower by how much?
Supporting mods? Injectors? Fuel pump?
Race cats or stock?
Full exhaust or just headers?

28%od
Id850
Boosta pump
Headers hi flow cats (stock rest exhaust
Chiller
Harrop pod

Eors
03-07-2016, 09:34 PM
I reckon spending the 2-3k on a set of diff gears would yield a greater improvement. Could probably even add a converter and still have change.

Why is it that when you want to make an NA car as quick as possible, theres more focus on gearing and suspension, yet most people running ultra quick times in the F's still run stock gear? Anyone actually tried it at the strip yet? Old mate put 3.7's in his GTS Maloo and said it woke it up so surely not a bad thing?

You'd need injectors and probably close to needing something done with the pump side of things but no idea what pump they run. The E85 VE pumps would handle 550rwhp.

I am not disputing any other mods...just stating that it will make a difference

GenF-GTS
03-07-2016, 09:40 PM
28%od
Id850
Boosta pump
Headers hi flow cats (stock rest exhaust
Chiller
Harrop pod

Ok so your best is an 11.5 considered a mid 11 p*** with the mods you have once you finally put some decent rubber on it :)

As for the driveline personally I feel the GTS has all you need from factory, no need for converters or diff gears, hell I've seen a 1.5 60ft from mine. So I don't think it's lacking.

white_lie
03-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Do you not think 1.4 or quicker is there for the taking though?

GenF-GTS
03-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Do you not think 1.4 or quicker is there for the taking though?

ZL1's with better wider rubber are doing it with the exact same driveline as the GTS I see no reason I can't get a 1.4 next time I get out there.
I've been doing 1.5's with traction issues, last time I had pretty bad wheel spin and still got a 1.54

zRoYz
03-07-2016, 10:28 PM
ZL1's with better wider rubber are doing it with the exact same driveline as the GTS I see no reason I can't get a 1.4 next time I get out there.
I've been doing 1.5's with traction issues, last time I had pretty bad wheel spin and still got a 1.54

That is more important than a boost in power, getting all the power you have to the ground, it's the number one issue drag cars have dialing in the track.

GenF-GTS
03-07-2016, 10:34 PM
That is more important than a boost in power, getting all the power you have to the ground, it's the number one issue drag cars have dialing in the track.

A car that runs low 11's though isn't going to have as many traction issues as a car like mine.

NickGTS proved that when he put radials on he dropped 2 tenths of a second and hooked no problems at all running an 11.5 so in reality a low 11 eg lets say 11.3-11.0 would simply need a little more grunt off the line.

white_lie
03-07-2016, 11:05 PM
How much does a ZL1 weigh?

A car that runs low 11's though isn't going to have as many traction issues as a car like mine.

NickGTS proved that when he put radials on he dropped 2 tenths of a second and hooked no problems at all running an 11.5 so in reality a low 11 eg lets say 11.3-11.0 would simply need a little more grunt off the line.

Which is easily solved with a set of diff gears.... If the manual diff is 3.7's, it would be a very easy swap

GenF-GTS
03-07-2016, 11:21 PM
How much does a ZL1 weigh?

Which is easily solved with a set of diff gears.... If the manual diff is 3.7's, it would be a very easy swap

There is 10kg difference between the ZL1 and our car.

GenF-GTS
14-07-2016, 12:35 PM
As some of you know I use ProCar in Sydney for my tuning, I feel they really know how to extract as much power as possible from my engine combo and they have been tuning for over 25yrs first with motech etc where they have had to build tunes from scratch, not having the liberty of modifying the stock OEM tune file.

Last night a customer of theirs took their car to the track, with his PR510 package (This is a stage 1 package which still retains stock injectors, exhaust etc) Drive in drive out it only costs $3800 fitted and tuned.

The package includes;
Cold Air Intake
Lower Pulley Overdrive kit
Spark Plugs
Custom Tune

The car is a VF R8 LSA manual and being the owners 2nd time racing he had a few teething issues, he forgot to turn off the traction control so it bogged down a little off the line and he also hit the limiter in 3rd....but still managed the following time and mph.

http://www.onlinenutrition.com.au/product_images/uploaded_images/img-4750.jpg

Nath
14-07-2016, 01:26 PM
what rubber was he using?

GenF-GTS
14-07-2016, 02:14 PM
what rubber was he using?

An old set of drag radials that he bought of a friend.

MATTW427
14-07-2016, 02:34 PM
What was the DYNO RWHP after tune?
Pretty good terminal speed.

GenF-GTS
14-07-2016, 02:36 PM
What was the DYNO RWHP after tune?
Pretty good terminal speed.

Dyno numbers really mean jack all, mine reads low on this dyno, dynos are for tuning, thats why people say what mph does your dyno sheet trap?

The more important thing is the gain in the dyno numbers from before/after. The car made 434RWHP when it was bone stock and left with 522RWHP after the PR510 pack was fitted and tuned remember the car is manual. You can see the dyno video here: https://www.facebook.com/138766866176868/videos/1071651316221747/

The same PR510 packaged fitted to an Auto made 510RWHP.

The beauty of this package is that is still retains stock cam, stock injectors and fuel system. The injectors are still within their duty cycle. Car still has standard cats fitted so it is still emission ADR compliant.

To have a low 11 second car for the money spent is crazy good value.

MATTW427
14-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Seems like good power for those mods.
Once he gets launches sorted will be a low 11 sec car as it is.

NickGts
14-07-2016, 03:29 PM
More important before after dyno figures and awesome times at track for manual car.
Well done Pro car great value $$$ mods awesome results.

HEDSUP
14-07-2016, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE
he also hit the limiter in 3rd....
[/QUOTE]

Thats a really good point, what is the ideal shift point/rpm?

GenF-GTS
14-07-2016, 05:08 PM
ProCar is looking at becoming a forum sponsor, have cleaned up the thread in regards to engine HP versus MPH.

In 100% street trim the car ran the following on street tires.

http://www.onlinenutrition.com.au/product_images/uploaded_images/img-2736.jpg

maloogts
14-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the standard GTS LSA do a low 12s down the 1/4 mile. So is the 12.29 time, pre engine mods and on standard street tyres, or engine mods on standard street tyres?

GenF-GTS
14-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the standard GTS LSA do a low 12s down the 1/4 mile. So is the 12.29 time, pre engine mods and on standard street tyres, or engine mods on standard street tyres?

You may have missed it on the last page. 12.29 was 100% stock on street tires.

This below was after engine mods and tune.

As some of you know I use ProCar in Sydney for my tuning, I feel they really know how to extract as much power as possible from my engine combo and they have been tuning for over 25yrs first with motech etc where they have had to build tunes from scratch, not having the liberty of modifying the stock OEM tune file.

Last night a customer of theirs took their car to the track, with his PR510 package (This is a stage 1 package which still retains stock injectors, exhaust etc) Drive in drive out it only costs $3800 fitted and tuned.

The package includes;
Cold Air Intake
Spark Plugs
Custom Tune

The car is a VF R8 LSA manual and being the owners 2nd time racing he had a few teething issues, he forgot to turn off the traction control so it bogged down a little off the line and he also hit the limiter in 3rd....but still managed the following time and mph.

maloogts
14-07-2016, 05:55 PM
cheers, with you now.

Andrew_02
14-07-2016, 06:33 PM
That's what I call bang for buck, I would take .1 off for the temp change?
I guess with that time you would have some fun on the 1/4 against a new M5.
Interesting to see the plug change being mentioned more.
This is what we get because HSV expanded the LSA lineup, Excellent choice and value for money with so many more LSA out there

nutman
15-07-2016, 12:07 PM
just out of curiosity, what was the fault code on the dash (behind the 12.2 time slip) ?
mine occasionally throws the P0503 $07E8 code "vehicle speed sensor / erratic / high" when at the drag strip

anyone else had this code?

GenF-GTS
15-07-2016, 12:15 PM
just out of curiosity, what was the fault code on the dash (behind the 12.2 time slip) ?
mine occasionally throws the P0503 $07E8 code "vehicle speed sensor / erratic / high" when at the drag strip

No idea, I am however aware that the gearbox throws a code on new model manuals and won't allow you to shift into reverse after a burnout. Holden are aware and have said there is a sensor that is too sensitive and can be changed.

BMEP
15-07-2016, 03:56 PM

The fault code on both occasions (pre and post Tune) was the same issue as yours (P0503). The owner of the R8 has informed Holden and they are aware of the fault and the car is going in under warranty to have the sensor in the g'box replaced.

Graydz
27-08-2016, 04:55 PM

The package includes;
Cold Air Intake
Spark Plugs
Custom Tune

This made me incredibly excited my Car is in at APS in Frankston right now getting the following

yella terra boost upgrade (harmonic)
injectors
extractors
Hi flow cat convertors
stainless Bi model Cat-back system
Harrop CAI
Baffle

so here is hoping that I am a low 11 secs car.. from what I am told by just about everyone near me is that APS are as good as anyone so i am in good hands..

I pick it up thursday and boy cant i wait

GenF-GTS
27-08-2016, 07:43 PM
This made me incredibly excited my Car is in at APS in Frankston right now getting the following

yella terra boost upgrade (harmonic)
injectors
extractors
Hi flow cat convertors
stainless Bi model Cat-back system
Harrop CAI
Baffle

so here is hoping that I am a low 11 secs car.. from what I am told by just about everyone near me is that APS are as good as anyone so i am in good hands..

I pick it up thursday and boy cant i wait

Sounds like it will be a little more boost than 14% overdrive as injectors are being used.
Injectors are needed for 18%+.

Procar recently did a 28% lower pulley, chiller, reservoir, extractors, high flow cats, injectors that ran 10.7

Are you planning on taking yours to the track?

Graydz
27-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Sounds like it will be a little more boost than 14% overdrive as injectors are being used.
Injectors are needed for 18%+.

Procar recently did a 28% lower pulley, chiller, reservoir, extractors, high flow cats, injectors that ran 10.7

Are you planning on taking yours to the track?

Sure am hence getting the work done..

I have never been to the track as yet so I am sure it will take me a couple of visits to get the best out of the car and remove the nerves.

its either 14 or 21% i cant remember to be honest.

eitherway it should sound and run a lot better, what do you think it should run at roughly with those upgrades?

Im also getting the carbon tips but they are of course purely asthetics so didnt list them earlier but i think they look brilliant.

I hope these mods are enough for me but honestly i have never moded any of my other cars but something about getting this GTS has bought the wanting of more speed out in me.

I guess reading all you guys most days doesnt help but excited to be part of the team. theres just something about these LSA engines they just bring the child out in you and the adrenaline i guess.

GenF-GTS
27-08-2016, 11:25 PM
The problem is these LSA are so easy to screw more power out of them, the possibilities from fast to very fast are as simple as putting a smaller pulley on the blower.

It sounds as though you may have gotten the 9.55" lower ring which is 23% over driven.
If thats the case it's going to be somewhere between 11.2 and 10.9 depending on conditions, track, tuner.

The only issue with these is once you start spinning them blower harder you make a hell of a lot more heat and especially in drag racing once you have done your burnout and are creeping slowly to the line with no air speed you are just getting hotter and hotter and timing is being lost thus HP is going down the drain.

I've seen cars make loads of HP on the dyno then come track time it's all lost to the burnout and lesser boosted GTS's make more HP as they are not pulling out anywhere near as much timing.

This is why it makes perfect sense to use an interchiller otherwise the intake temps are just all down hill after that burnout.