PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Paint question

WhipLash
18-01-2016, 03:03 PM
So i have secure parking at my work for the car but unforunatley it is out in the sun all day. Obviously being exposed to those harmful rays aint going to be good for the paint.

So apart from the obvious "find somewhere else to park' responses...Are there any real products on the market that would be helpful to protect it? Perhaps even a good quality car cover?

Any Suggestions appreciated.

white_lie
18-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Just use a good wax or sealant. I would maybe get a sun shade or dash mat to protect the dash though.
Being out in the sun shouldn't cause any bad damage, it's more things like tree sap, bird crap, hail etc that I'd be worried about.

I wouldn't bother with a cover as the car really needs to be clean, otherwise any dirt will rub under the cover and scratch it.

LSExpress
18-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Yeah a good wax and sunshade is about it really. Without sounding like an ass and I know many others won't agree but for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would leave their HSV out in the sun all day at work day after day. You have correctly identified the fact the sun is going to nail your paint at a minimum, hence the question. I would and did buy a less than 1k runabout for those all day baking in the sun chores. To me it's cheaper than the cost of a new paint job or re-covering the seat leather. Each to their own I guess.

WhipLash
18-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. And point taken about leaving it in the sun.

But the look on the faces of my senior executives at work when at 26 years young i rumble past in my 6.2L V8 is quite priceless! Bet it really makes them think about their life choices!
Cheers,

Mikhail
18-01-2016, 08:24 PM
These are expensive but well worth the money if your car is in the sun all day.

http://www.covercraft-pacificshop.com/uvs100.html

As for this bit...

But the look on the faces of my senior executives at work when at 26 years young i rumble past in my 6.2L V8 is quite priceless!

If that was me you rumbled past I would just spin up the LSA when it was my turn...

Aus78Formula
05-02-2016, 11:30 PM
Probably thinking how debt free they are, anyone can buy one should they wish, they aren't ever thinking what you think they are.

lmoengnr
06-02-2016, 02:24 AM
Senior executives only ever think about their next bonus cheque......

dgp
06-02-2016, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE=Mikhail;160154]These are expensive but well worth the money if your car is in the sun all day.

I went onto this website that promotes itself as Australian made to look up a sunshade for the screen of the VF, put in 2013 then went to select manufacturer, and what do you know, no Holden. Good effort guys. Looked a bit further and the screen shades are made in USA. So, I find the one for an SSChev and it costs $142. Bloody hell.

Mikhail
06-02-2016, 10:30 AM
I went onto this website that promotes itself as Australian made to look up a sunshade for the screen of the VF, put in 2013 then went to select manufacturer, and what do you know, no Holden. Good effort guys. Looked a bit further and the screen shades are made in USA. So, I find the one for an SSChev and it costs $142. Bloody hell.

I thought, that can't be right, 2014 Chevy SS... Holy crap! They are very good but not that much better. I paid $55. Add to that about $25 shipping. Ouch.

white_lie
06-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Supercheap sell the car covers but if the sun visors/screens are a different subsidiary of the brand and are US made, they may not be able to get them. Possibly worth a look though (depending on how helpful your local supercheap is!)

FLI355
06-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Sun is always harder on plastics and rubber than paint. When cars come to me for a detail I can tell straight away by looking at the rubbers whether it's lived mostly outside.

Good quality wax or sealant will help protect the paint it's protecting the runners you really need to pay attention too as once those are damaged unlike the paint you can't bring them back to life.

WhipLash
06-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Probably thinking how debt free they are

I'm a young bloke with a decent enough job, no wife and no kids and therefore no real expenses. When I find a deal too good to pass up I pay cash lol. :p

Thanks guys will definitely invest in a good quality dash cover. As for the runners and rubbers fli355, what would be the best thing to keep em looking good? Would a product like armor all and such work on the exterior or is it only used for interior work?

FLI355
07-02-2016, 08:05 AM
Armour is pretty crap. Check car care products website. I use the Gyeon products to protect exterior plastics and rubber.

MLCGTS
08-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Heres my easy remedy , but it does a need a bit of elbow grease
1) Wash with any sort of car wash not morning fresh
2) Clay bar with Meguires or better NOT Armorall or Mothers they smear
3) Polish with Meguires Deep Crystal liquid polish
4) Wax with 50/50 Turtle wax liquid hard shell wax and Collinite wax. Leave for a day to harden. Now heres the trick
5) Finish with Surf City Garage Nano sealant ($30 or less for 3 cars worth). Variety paints n more in W.A sell it (no this is not me!) and you will have a mega shiny paint job.
Every month just wash with a gentle soft wash (hand wash) and dry with a wet wax like the turtle wax-as-you-dry. Repeat all steps annually.
If you don't believe me check out my buddies HSV VT GTS Series 1 1998 on Gumtree in white (his rego is 220 GTS). His paint is original!!!

disorganise
09-04-2016, 12:20 AM
The other option is something like opticoat. If the car's less than 2 years old you can get a lifetime warranty so long as you go for an annual inspection (budget 100 bucks). The paint protection roughly 800 depending how much correction needed and maybe 500 for interior? Cost me 1500 for paint, interior, wheels, calipers, window tint and some plastic wrap on the headlights and near the boot lip. Exy....yes. But it becomes their issue if there's a fault.

Saying that, I bus it to work and the car is garaged, plus I have a old shit box for doing the shopping runs etc. Now that I'm writing all this I'm thinking maybe I went a tad overboard LOL...it's like 3 layers of insurance!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

disorganise
09-04-2016, 12:26 AM
Btw I say opticoat cos thats what my research arrived at. I'm sure there's plenty of others just as good. Just be sure to get in writing what lifetime is.....some products are "lifetime" for 4 or 5 years only or may have impractical caring requirements ( like not parking outside all day every day)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

HSVGTS125
09-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Probably thinking how debt free they are, anyone can buy one should they wish, they aren't ever thinking what you think they are.

I agree.
Probably thinking they did the exact same thing when they were young.

spidy
11-04-2016, 10:37 AM

As for this bit...

If that was me you rumbled past I would just spin up the LSA when it was my turn...

uhm, in the link above there is no option for Holdens or HSVs.

Audi
27-04-2016, 01:12 AM
test

Mikhail
27-04-2016, 06:36 AM
uhm, in the link above there is no option for Holdens or HSVs.

Chevy SS. Same same.

HSVJAKE
10-05-2017, 03:43 PM

As for this bit...

This is something I should be looking into. I didn't realize they actually did much in terms of keeping the car cool! I will have to give it ago thanks for sharing