PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

vesssh
18-09-2015, 03:29 PM
I am wanting to apply a wax to my car but not sure what to use...

I have been given different advice from different detailers.

Some are saying to use a glass finish type paint protection, swirls are removed from the car and the detailer prepares the paints surface so that the paint protection can be applied. They tell me it is like a glass type finish. The product is called the TAC System using Quartz Sparkle.

Other detailers have said to use a quality wax, I have read good reviews about Swisvax Crystal Rock.

I enjoy spending time detailing my car and want to have the best product applied to it. What process do your guys use or recommend?

Cheers in advance.

white_lie
18-09-2015, 03:40 PM
How much do you want to spend?
Crystal Rock is a very high end wax!

Your post is a little confusing...
I'm taking it you're applying it yourself? Have you corrected the paint to remove the swirls or are you saying a detailer will remove the swirls when applying the paint protection? There's no point using a 1400 tub of Crystal Rock if you're not properly preparing the surface.

But the main difference between the two products will be that the wax will need to be reapplied roughly every 3 months, where a sealant will last 6-12 and a good paint protection like Opticoat will be a once off. Just my opinion, but you get a better/deeper finish using a wax but the trade off is obviously more work in more frequent applications.

Senator01
18-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Horses for courses really. There are many Wax's on the market and they pretty much do the same which is paint 'protection'. Everyone has their favourites, I use Meguiars and have done for many years with no issues and great results. Others swear by Swissvax, others Mothers, others Autoglym, etc... As long as you clean, clay and polish before Wax application then all good.

Even by brand there are so many choices .. example being Meguiars with Carnauba Wax, Tech Wax, Ultimate Wax, Gold Class Wax, and so on. Makes it hard for those that are passionate about car care. It comes down to how much you want to pay. Try one and if you like it keep going with it.

vesssh
18-09-2015, 04:02 PM
How much do you want to spend?
Crystal Rock is a very high end wax!

Your post is a little confusing...
I'm taking it you're applying it yourself? Have you corrected the paint to remove the swirls or are you saying a detailer will remove the swirls when applying the paint protection? There's no point using a 1400 tub of Crystal Rock if you're not properly preparing the surface.

But the main difference between the two products will be that the wax will need to be reapplied roughly every 3 months, where a sealant will last 6-12 and a good paint protection like Opticoat will be a once off. Just my opinion, but you get a better/deeper finish using a wax but the trade off is obviously more work in more frequent applications.

I will be getting a detailer to remove and apply the wax or paint protection (whichever I decide to do).

I don't have a budget, I just want to get a great result and not be ripped off.

The car rarely gets driven, maybe 15-20 times a year, never driven in the rain and is always garaged.

vesssh
18-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Have you heard of the TAC System? Quartz Sparkle?

white_lie
18-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Can't say I have.
A lot of the guys on here really like the Opticoat system, if you have a newer car, that's the way I'd go. Should be a few threads around about it, but make sure all the marks are removed prior to application as they will be sealed in underneath otherwise.
You can always apply a wax over the top of that if you really want

vesssh
18-09-2015, 04:27 PM
So I am guessing there is no pros or cons with either a quality wax or a sealer....

white_lie
18-09-2015, 04:52 PM
As I mentioned before, they will last different periods of time but offer different finishes.

A wax will usually be deeper in gloss/finish but require reapplication every 3 months.
A sealant will be more durable and last around 6 months
Paint protection like Opti coat should be a once off and never need to be reapplied. The finish may not as be as deep (still very good) but will offer a lot more actual protection for the paint. You can also get some paint protections that are 'nano-ceramic' and will last 2-3 years. This may be similar to what you're looking at with the TAC system, i'm not sure as I haven't looked it up.

Of course these are just general comments. If you compare a premium paint protection to a cheap wax, the premium product will obviously be better. Need to compare apples with apples..... and the finish will also come down to the detailer!

rodders188
18-09-2015, 05:23 PM
What colour is your car?? What is the paint work like ?
So many products on the market, find one that works for you and sty with it..
I went off the recommendation from Joe at Zas Car Products , theyre on facebook. My car is black, and have tried a lot of different products to find my happy medium. Amigo Polish/Glaze + Plus opti seal spray. Super easy to use and not priced out the world.