PDA

View Full Version : vp senator 5000i

number7
11-08-2015, 08:50 AM
saw this come up over the weekend just up the road from me. didn't get a chance to look at it, if it was a gts would be there in a flash plus the photos looked a bit dodgy with how little they show, but might get there this week if its still around.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/narangba/cars-vans-utes/hsv-senator-5000i-vp/1086210039

jkhsv
11-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Got find..I think there were 136 built of these with the 200kW engine

white_lie
11-08-2015, 11:54 AM
I rate them better than the GTS, would buy my old one back in a heartbeat :(

Its obviously modified but could be a good buy

number7
11-08-2015, 01:00 PM
that's interesting white lie,havent had any experience with vp's would be interested to hear why the senator 5000i over a gts as ive been looking for a vp/vr gts. do you think the senator will be as collectable? although that's only a tiny part of why I'm after one.

white_lie
11-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Same 200kw motor specs (albeit different blocks) but top of the range luxury. JK is right, 136 built, most in that unique Quartz. Have seen a couple in Alpine White and #136 that I owned was Canterbury Blue

Although judging by the plates, that one will be stroked which is rarely a bad thing unless you want it original.

Hsvvp5i
11-08-2015, 01:47 PM
You need to overlook the GTS label and compare the two cars side by side.

Senator 5000i using HSV stamped plastic injection moulding
GTS using fibreglass spoiler kit

5000i interior far superior in using Group A seat frames on front seats, leather bolstered with premium velour pleats style insert & suede or velour centre console. Statesman rear bench seating is also a feature

GTS has 3 levels of interior seating, where's the top level is valued less then the 5000i STD interior

Both have premium brakes as STD

5000i has controlled level ride system as STD, Variotronic power steering rack as STD

Both have a claimed 200 KW motor & all are automatic transmission

GTS has over the 5000i motor - D port heads & roller rockers with four bolt mains

I'm properly bias owning a 5000i, but also rate the 5000i the better car. Back then it was labelled the King of the commodores.

number7
11-08-2015, 02:04 PM
thanks for that information guys, I thought that too with the number plates, but owner says number matching all original except auto(original auto beefed up with corvette servos etc and manualised with high stall,should be able to undo that) think he's just put the plates on from a previous car. lowered pedders suspension and the gauges on the bonnet(not connected) were on when he got it, also repaint 3 years ago in original colour, also has books.

did these come with a compendium? like my vs. when did that start?

think I might go have a look tmmrw, you know that annoying thing that happens when you see something and its not quite what you thought you might like but then I plays on your mind, if I had lots of room in the shed it would be easier but only have room for another 2 early ones.

hdt493
11-08-2015, 08:00 PM
looks nice. i owned build no 002 about 14 years ago. same colour.

VpGTS086
11-08-2015, 11:54 PM
Looks pretty good. Personally I think the GTS would be a better collector with its 90's style decals and group a specs parts but would be more than happy senator 5000i (it was what I was looking for before I found my GTS). I think the main thing is with these cars is to ensure no accident damage and numbers match for a keeper. the mods on this car could be changed back to original quite easily. I'm pretty sure thAt all the 200kw had the corvette servos in the transmission.

jkhsv
12-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Did you have a look Number 7 ?

number7
13-08-2015, 08:17 AM
no, decided to stick with models i'm definitely after, its so easy to get sidetracked since there's so many great ones to choose from.
if I get to lakeside racetrack this weekend I might call in since its close just to see it for future reference.
I did talk to the guy with the white vr gts up north that you didn't get to though, he's posted new pics of the car since he cleaned it up and painted the rocker covers, too far away from here for me at the moment and not quite the spec im after.
looks like when a good one comes up theres going to be a 100 metre sprint for it!
just missed out on a mint low km white vr gts 6 speed that went on ebay in Brisbane last month for $19,900 anyone know who got it?

jkhsv
13-08-2015, 11:41 AM
just missed out on a mint low km white vr gts 6 speed that went on ebay in Brisbane last month for $19,900 anyone know who got it?

Someone in SA..paid $18k

novasmic
21-09-2016, 07:33 PM
thanks for that information guys, I thought that too with the number plates, but owner says number matching all original except auto(original auto beefed up with corvette servos etc and manualised with high stall,should be able to undo that) think he's just put the plates on from a previous car. lowered pedders suspension and the gauges on the bonnet(not connected) were on when he got it, also repaint 3 years ago in original colour, also has books.

did these come with a compendium? like my vs. when did that start?

think I might go have a look tmmrw, you know that annoying thing that happens when you see something and its not quite what you thought you might like but then I plays on your mind, if I had lots of room in the shed it would be easier but only have room for another 2 early ones.

I never seen this post before...lol
I brought this car a few months back. (at a great price) Still has the manualised box. trying to work out how and what i need to do to get it back to original transmission.