PDA

View Full Version : Standard LS2 extractors, what can be achieved?

crisso
19-02-2005, 09:53 PM
All,

Holden fan from way back, currently on leave and getting around in an XR6T. When the time comes, I will consider jumping into an LS2 powered vehicle.

I read, on this forum, that the standard extractors on the Z HSV's are the same as those on the SS. Is this true? If so, have any Z owners modded this setup and what have you achieved in performance gains?

Interested to hear any comments.

Chris

-HSV-
20-02-2005, 07:53 AM
All,

Holden fan from way back, currently on leave and getting around in an XR6T. When the time comes, I will consider jumping into an LS2 powered vehicle.

I read, on this forum, that the standard extractors on the Z HSV's are the same as those on the SS. Is this true? If so, have any Z owners modded this setup and what have you achieved in performance gains?

Interested to hear any comments.

Chrisi dont think they would be the same as the SS has an LS1 and the HSV's have LS2's...

ozemuscle1
20-02-2005, 07:19 PM
the Y series had the same extractors i believe.....but the VZ SS has the LS1 as mentioned above.

Rob GTO18
20-02-2005, 09:31 PM
I am not sure if they are the same as the SS but my new Gto just has cast iron manifolds.
I am sure if you put a set of decent headers and a better fuel map they would pick up a noticable amount of power.
saying that it all not about HP. I prefer a lot of torque more than outright Hp and believe me the LS2 has more then its fair share.
I was also looking at the coupe 4 which has the LS1 at the same time and when I drove a monaro with a Ls1 and a Ls2 they are a w**** different motor. The Ls2 just pulls from idle. That made my decision which Hsv to get.

Try www.lls2gto.com there is some good reading on that forum. They seem to be doing a lot to there motors over there.
Cheers

Rob

Rob GTO18
20-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Opps

www.ls2gto.com

sorry

Rob

crisso
21-02-2005, 08:07 AM
cheers lads...

I asked this question of someone in the know, this is what he had to say:

The LS2 has stock extractors, they would be whatever came with the engine
from the US. no, they are not the same as the SS because they are different
engines as far as i know. there is alot of power gains to be made with the
LS1's with some extractors and twin exhaust because the stock system is very
restrictive so i ***ume that the LS2 would be the same. HSV have always used
HM Headers for their extractors, i dont rate them that much, Pacemakers are
the best forsure.

Rob GTO18
22-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Crisso

The Hsv's with the new Ls2's definately do not have extractors at all they are just cast iron manifolds
When I get a chance I will post a Photo of them.

Rob

crisso
22-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Crisso

The Hsv's with the new Ls2's definately do not have extractors at all they are just cast iron manifolds
When I get a chance I will post a Photo of them.

Rob

Thanks Rob, certainly room for a performance gain then

Rob GTO18
22-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Here we go try this site they are the manifolds that are on the Hsv Ls2 engine

Saves me posting a pic and good reading about the LS2 as well
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/chevrolet/smallblock/0405em_ls2/

the other problem I can see is fitting headers as the Cai is very close to the manifold outlet on the HSV which means you would have to have short style headers.
Also there is 2x O2 sensors there as well

cheers

Rob

crisso
13-04-2005, 08:20 PM
that was a good read, thanks Rob.

09-05-2005, 05:00 PM
I have fitted Pacemaker HPC headers to my GTS VT11 300 KW also K&N filter with changes to the airbox, changed the exhaust to 4/2/1 with Hi-flo cats - with all this I had it dyno tuned and LS1 edit - results were remarkable throughout the rev range with noticeably more torque - it is a different car - output to rear wheels is 252.7KW @ 6000 in 4th gear.
In short it breathes better, sounds better and is awesome to drive!

-HSV-
01-06-2005, 03:08 PM
cheers lads...

I asked this question of someone in the know, this is what he had to say:

The LS2 has stock extractors, they would be whatever came with the engine
from the US. no, they are not the same as the SS because they are different
engines as far as i know. there is alot of power gains to be made with the
LS1's with some extractors and twin exhaust because the stock system is very
restrictive so i ***ume that the LS2 would be the same. HSV have always used
HM Headers for their extractors, i dont rate them that much, Pacemakers are
the best forsure.

for someone in the know, they havnt been too confident in what they've told you!

1. stock extractors, wtf? techincally they're just another everyday manifold, like all other standard cars come with. even some of the older HSV's (VY series anyway) didnt have full extractors, they havnt been tuned for that engine, more power is still possible.

2. of course they're not the same as the ss because they are a different engine.

3. a lot of gains from twin exhausts? sounds kind of babyish to me :p
twins doesnt necessarily mean they're the best. a nice single 3.5" system is going to provide more power than a twin 2.25" system...

4. HM are fine, although i use pacemaker myself.

-HSV-
07-06-2005, 12:05 PM
wow, just found something out!

the LS2 manifold may not be the same as the SS manifold, but surprisingly, the LS2 one fits the LS1 engines!

was really interesting when i read this...

once holden start using the LS2, HSV will put a set of nice extractors on the engine to up the power a little more. expect this to happen next year some time!

ozemuscle1
10-06-2005, 07:13 PM
wow, just found something out!

the LS2 manifold may not be the same as the SS manifold, but surprisingly, the LS2 one fits the LS1 engines!

was really interesting when i read this...

once holden start using the LS2, HSV will put a set of nice extractors on the engine to up the power a little more. expect this to happen next year some time!im not that surprised with that, the LS2 is effectivly the same block as the LS1, just with more technology inside it.

toddsta
07-08-2005, 01:34 AM
I have recently purchased a VZ clubby, after owning a gen III VT SS. The two engines, although based around the same block, behave as different as chalk and cheese. 6th gear in the SS, at legal speed, was redundant. The gen III had a lack of low down torque for a big displacement engine. The LS2 however is happy idling in top, i kid you not, and will pull away.

The LS2 has 4 O2 sensors, 2 in front of the cats, 2 behind. If one goes bust, the engine will not run. I know this, as this very fault delayed the delivery of my car by 9 days. As i understand, cat changes may alter the readings the rear sensors get, and may alter engine performance in a negative way.

And yes, there are no extractors on the LS2 as fitted to VZ HSV's. I understand that the exhaust ports in both engines are the same, and manifolds are interchangeable. I wouldn't quote me on this though.

-HSV-
10-08-2005, 02:26 PM
I have recently purchased a VZ clubby, after owning a gen III VT SS. The two engines, although based around the same block, behave as different as chalk and cheese. 6th gear in the SS, at legal speed, was redundant. The gen III had a lack of low down torque for a big displacement engine. The LS2 however is happy idling in top, i kid you not, and will pull away.

The LS2 has 4 O2 sensors, 2 in front of the cats, 2 behind. If one goes bust, the engine will not run. I know this, as this very fault delayed the delivery of my car by 9 days. As i understand, cat changes may alter the readings the rear sensors get, and may alter engine performance in a negative way.

And yes, there are no extractors on the LS2 as fitted to VZ HSV's. I understand that the exhaust ports in both engines are the same, and manifolds are interchangeable. I wouldn't quote me on this though.your right in everything you've said!

and yes, those LS2's have a crap load of bottom end torque, they pull right from idle! :lol: :shock:

Generation Motorsport
11-08-2005, 02:50 PM
ok, i'll ad my 2 bobs worth.....

the ls2 so far does not come with extractors, they are all cast manifolds. and the exhaust ports are different to ls1, "D" shape similiar to ls6, BUT, the GTSR coupe has mandrel bent, tuned stainless extractors in its ls2 (obviously a 1 off, because ive seen so many running around)

the O2 sensors before and after the cat, are for the comp to monitor cat operation.

i expect everyone to know the rest, compression up to 10.9:1, bore and stroke- 4.00/3.62
and i think a 90mm throttlebody.

even the corvette is still running cast manifolds standard

-HSV-
12-08-2005, 05:32 PM
ok, i'll ad my 2 bobs worth.....

the ls2 so far does not come with extractors, they are all cast manifolds. and the exhaust ports are different to ls1, "D" shape similiar to ls6, BUT, the GTSR coupe has mandrel bent, tuned stainless extractors in its ls2 (obviously a 1 off, because ive seen so many running around)

the O2 sensors before and after the cat, are for the comp to monitor cat operation.

i expect everyone to know the rest, compression up to 10.9:1, bore and stroke- 4.00/3.62
and i think a 90mm throttlebody.

even the corvette is still running cast manifolds standardyep, 90mm throttle body! 8)

i would love to see one of those GTR-R's, they look good (the new ones)... :)