PDA

View Full Version : VY Maloo diff advise

haro
16-02-2005, 08:30 PM
can anyone tell me what would be the cause of diff bouncing with loss of traction in the wet

ozemuscle1
18-02-2005, 12:18 AM
im not sure i follow....if you mean its breaking traction without you giving it a bootfull then its probably got either a pinion in the diff missing, or the traction control is stuffed.

-HSV-
21-02-2005, 07:06 PM
i think hes referring to power hop, where the back wheels spin then grip, spin then grip making the whole ass bounce when doign a burnout.

this is a suspension issue as far as i know!

edit: could also be the traction control cutting in and out if your trying to do a burnout with it on...?

ozemuscle1
23-02-2005, 01:00 AM
i think hes referring to power hop, where the back wheels spin then grip, spin then grip making the whole ass bounce when doign a burnout.

this is a suspension issue as far as i know!

edit: could also be the traction control cutting in and out if your trying to do a burnout with it on...?ohh i see. its probably a bit of diff shake, theres something loose in the diff, causing it to skip, or the housing is loose.

u know u want one
26-02-2005, 02:19 PM
im having the same prob but in the dry during heavy launches.ive been told that i have caused a prob by fitting camber caster kits to the lower control arm..it has been rectified by fitting better shockers to the rear..

-HSV-
27-02-2005, 01:59 PM
im having the same prob but in the dry during heavy launches.ive been told that i have caused a prob by fitting camber caster kits to the lower control arm..it has been rectified by fitting better shockers to the rear.. were the new shockers firmer? im pretty sure that the diff will 'bounce' when you have soft springs at teh back. once they're firmer it should change everything :D

u know u want one
27-02-2005, 07:56 PM
they were firmer but ..the ony prob now is a little oversteer required when playing up..but i like a little oversteer ... :)

Young Cub
28-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey there,
about ya Maloo, as we all know utes are really tailly and in the wet, you have do drive like it's on ice. The diff housing may be your problem, try to see the LS1 edit people. (LS1edit.com.au) they'll probably fix it.

haro
28-03-2005, 12:20 PM
cheers everyone i fitted some lowered rear springs and fixed problem

Dust
07-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Thatís great that itís been resolved. So you know, your problem was tramping. In the old days before suspension was what it is today we had tramp rods to absorb the movement in the diff. Itís really strange that a standard height Ute of todayís quality gave you this problem. By lowering it you have just decreased the room for error by hardening the suspension and shortening the travel. If you had more power you could still have the same problem.

-HSV-
07-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Thatís great that itís been resolved. So you know, your problem was tramping. In the old days before suspension was what it is today we had tramp rods to absorb the movement in the diff. Itís really strange that a standard height Ute of todayís quality gave you this problem. By lowering it you have just decreased the room for error by hardening the suspension and shortening the travel. If you had more power you could still have the same problem.true. while lowering it, a lot of things wouldve occurred to fix the problem:

-shorter stroke shockers - not as much movement
-firmer - less chance off it 'jumping'
-damper bound/rebound higher - takes longer for the shocks to compress and expand.

it really gets confusing but if you really want to look into it, do a search or talk to a mechanic ;)