PDA

View Full Version : Speedo dropping off when headlights are on?????

HSVstatesman
19-01-2005, 04:10 AM
Hi every one, i am a newy.

i wondered if anyone could help me figure out an electrical problem i'm having.

during the day my speedo works fine, then when i switch my headlights on, after a few minutes the needle just drops off, does anybody know what this could be......???????

-HSV-
19-01-2005, 06:13 AM

during the day my speedo works fine, then when i switch my headlights on, after a few minutes the needle just drops off, does anybody know what this could be......???????hell, no idea. doesnt sound to good. sounds like it could be in the speedo sensor or maybe you need a new alternator because the current one cant handle the power. have you done nay modps to the electrical side of things from stereo, to extra lights, anything?

HSVstatesman
19-01-2005, 06:58 AM
No, havn't done any mods, a friend thinks it may be an earth wire?

ozemuscle1
19-01-2005, 12:04 PM
No, havn't done any mods, a friend thinks it may be an earth wire?probably it. might also be a worn wire that draws the current out of the speedo.

c4b
19-01-2005, 02:40 PM

during the day my speedo works fine, then when i switch my headlights on, after a few minutes the needle just drops off, does anybody know what this could be......???????

I presume you mean it drops back to zero......

(Coz if it "dropped off" you it wouldn't work during the day either.....)

-HSV-
20-01-2005, 05:40 AM

I presume you mean it drops back to zero......

(Coz if it "dropped off" you it wouldn't work during the day either.....) hehe, would be funny to see it just drop off, like a cat thats been dead for a few yrs and has gone all hard :p ...and its bones just snap :p

HSVstatesman
20-01-2005, 07:03 AM
i didn't mean literally drops off, so to be more specific, Yes, falls back to zero when the head lights are on!!!!!!!! the others got what i mean't. hehehe

Anyways thanx for all you other guys suggestions so far.

I've been told a way to get my speed alert display area to actually display my speed digitally, just by pressing a couple of things, will try this tonight on my home i can use this until i get the speedo fixed.

I wonder how much i'll get slaughtered to fix it, being female and all probably hundreds more than it should.

-HSV-
20-01-2005, 09:06 AM
i didn't mean literally drops off, so to be more specific, Yes, falls back to zero when the head lights are on!!!!!!!! the others got what i mean't. hehehe

Anyways thanx for all you other guys suggestions so far.

I've been told a way to get my speed alert display area to actually display my speed digitally, just by pressing a couple of things, will try this tonight on my home i can use this until i get the speedo fixed.

I wonder how much i'll get slaughtered to fix it, being female and all probably hundreds more than it should. yeah, the digi speedo is good, really accurate as well i heard.

not sure how you get it but its just a matter of holding the UP and MODE buttons while starting, then using mode to get the digi speedo in the left window ;)