PDA

View Full Version : VE Sub setup

FollowTheSapper
23-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Plan on upgrading the sound system in my E3 GTS shortly. Not going crazy over the top but thinking 6.5" in the doors, disconnect centre speaker and digital converter with a 4ch amp. I was hoping to keep the factory Subs but have been told that I cannot run the factory subs through an aftermarket amp. So my question is..... what has everyone else done!

Replace factory subs with aftermarket 8"? Did you make any changes? how do they preform? any distortion or vibration?

Boot setup? If I go this option I want it to take up as little room as possible! slim line subs? or other options!

Photos would be greatly appreciated if you have them!

Thanks guys

white_lie
23-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Pretty sure a few guys on here have put aftermarket 8"s in the shelf. Just deaden it like crazy.

IMO a single 10" will perform better, just sneak it in to the side or corner somewhere with a fibreglass moulded enclosure

mickyinc
23-11-2014, 03:35 AM
http://media601.dropshots.com/photos/1205393/20140809/b_084319.jpgnah if your gunna do it , go big.... I put these in, did all myself made the box painted it with rubber sound proofing , stuffed it with old pillows, I love it its mad,

FollowTheSapper
23-11-2014, 09:59 AM
nah if your gunna do it , go big.... I put these in, did all myself made the box painted it with rubber sound proofing , stuffed it with old pillows, I love it its mad,

How does it effect getting the spare out?

Never understood the pillow thing! can someone explain that to me!

white_lie
23-11-2014, 10:38 AM
You can make a new floor to replace the factory one so it's not covered by the sub box.

The pillows/stuffing is to dampen the sound waves bouncing around inside the box. If you've got a triangle or wedge shaped box, it's not so critical as the waves don't come straight back at the speaker

Vector
23-11-2014, 01:44 PM
The Walkinshaw sub box is very neat

http://www.hp-f.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IMG_6876.jpg

mickyinc
23-11-2014, 05:47 PM
theres a stereo place in Cheltenham who makes all different boxes , does the same as that walky setup. I nearly got that walky setup instead I just built myself. Is That your setup Vector?
I can still get to my spare wheel, the box took up 400mm from behind the seat to the back.
Mines really to much for me but I have teenagers and they love it, its like ya having an all ova massage when they crank it.
You also have the wires reversed so it goes back into the box not out , I also sound proofed the boot lid ,spare wheel well, rear guards, so the boot space acts as a box as well...then crank it for awhile, go around and locktite all the screws and things that are rattling
The better you seal the box and sound proof it , the better the base

Vector
23-11-2014, 08:31 PM
I have stereo setups in other cars but my R8 is stock at the moment. I would like to do a modest upgrade and would like a sub box like the Walkinshaw one along with a better amp, but I have been thinking some good quality 2 Ohm door speakers would save the need for the expensive signal converter.

mickyinc
23-11-2014, 11:11 PM
The signal converter I paid $128
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VE-Commodore-RHS-Fibreglass-Sub-box-/261665283563?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cec775deb
the walky setup looks better than this one

FollowTheSapper
24-11-2014, 12:27 AM
so after a lot of people telling me go an audison digital processor I was ready to go. Now I have an installer telling me to use a 5ch amp with a built in LOC and run everything off that? What are those in the know thoughts of this?

mickyinc
24-11-2014, 12:43 AM
All I did was a loc and 4ch amp, with the 2 subs..... It sounds awesome I think , way better than standard. Think it will depend on how high end your going. For me just the upgraded subs makes it good enough

white_lie
24-11-2014, 08:51 AM
It depends how 'involved' the rest of the system is. You'll have a lot more processing power obviously with a bit one/ten than a simple LOC. But if you're using cheap speakers, no sound deadening etc, you may not need the extra features and you'd get better bang for your buck spending the cost of the processor on better gear or installing it better.

FollowTheSapper
24-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys. I will do sound deadening but might give the processor a miss. Looking into it I don't think I am throwing enough money into the system to justify it. Will let you know how it goes

voodoo_sv6
24-11-2014, 03:11 PM
I spent about $700 on a 12" sub and box and amp installed on my SV6 3 years ago and loved the results for the $$$. Needed to install sponges under the parcel shelf to stop vibration.

Loved it so much I duplicated it in the E3, but my box is quite large. My girl drives the SV6 with a slimline box, very neat and impressive sound.

Quality? - To the knowledgeable ones here, they would say it's crap I'm sure. To me, it was great bang for bucks and did exactly what I was after - the ability to add a little or a lot of bass when I want it

FollowTheSapper
24-11-2014, 03:42 PM
I spent about $700 on a 12" sub and box and amp installed on my SV6 3 years ago and loved the results for the $$$. Needed to installed sponges under the parcel shelf to stop vibration.

That's great.
Would sound deadening do the same thing?

white_lie
24-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Sound deadening will stop rattles in the metal itself but for things like the parcel shelf rattling on the metal shelf, padding it out is the best and cheapest option. Same with things like your number plate

voodoo_sv6
24-11-2014, 04:31 PM
That's great.
Would sound deadening do the same thing?Yes I'm sure it would but my option is cheaper as just as effective. I cut up a brand new cheapy car wash sponge
Sound deadening will stop rattles in the metal itself but for things like the parcel shelf rattling on the metal shelf, padding it out is the best and cheapest option. Same with things like your number plateAgreed totally. No need to over spend when something cheaper is perfectly functional. Three years later, there's still no vibration in the SV6.

XR8TEDVY2
24-11-2014, 07:20 PM
I have a pretty good system in my buggy running a mono block amp into a large sub with a 4ch running my splits and rear door speakers as well as the Audison processor you mentioned. All I have are proper speaker mounts and sound deadner and I have zero vibrations. It rattles the brain though. Lol

mickyinc
25-11-2014, 02:43 AM
im with ya on that

FollowTheSapper
26-11-2014, 12:12 AM
So after speaking to 4 car audio places, numerous people and price comparisons I have come to the;

Alpine PDX-V9 5 Channel Car Amplifier (built in LOC)
JL Audio C2-600 6" 100w Component
JL Audio C2-650X 6" 100w
Kicker VCWR122 12" Subwoofer W/Enclosure

If anyone has any past experience with any of these components or setup I would love to hear!

Also has anyone used Nofrillssydney on Ebay?

Vector
26-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Do you know how they get the signal into the Alpine PDX-V9 5 Channel amp ? it looks like it only has RCA inputs but the factory head unit does not have RCA outs as far as I am aware.

http://www.alpine.com.au/images/products/GALLERY/PDX-V9/PDX-V9_back.png

Kam.e3
26-11-2014, 10:33 PM
Think you need to get a line output converter (loc) if I am und what you are saying, I did the maloo and retained the factory head unit.

Hope it helps mate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FollowTheSapper
26-11-2014, 11:01 PM
I was told by a car audio place it had one built into it, but I looked earlier today and I agree with both of you that it looks like a LOC is required. Talking to another installer tomorrow that can sort this out hopefully.

Bomber
28-11-2014, 05:24 AM
Ditch running rear speakers off the amp and bridge it to the fronts. Keep rears std and spend the extra coin on better front speakers such as JL C5 splits.

FollowTheSapper
28-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Changed over to a 5ch Kicker amp with built in LOC. I would go better speakers and a digital processor but don't have the $$ for it right now and I don't turn it up all that loud anyway. Plus I am half deaf any way so I doubt I would notice the difference in quality. Maybe sometime in the future it will happen.

Kam.e3
28-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Sounds good, when's the instal ?

FollowTheSapper
28-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Thursday next week. Going to use the stock speakers we pull out to replace the speakers in my girlfriends Jeep. Believe it or not someone actually uses worse speakers then holden in their cars. I cannot even bare to have it on when I am in it they are that bad.
Will save some cash over xmas to get some sound deadener. If anyone know a place I can get decent stuff at a good price would be appreciated.

XR8TEDVY2
29-11-2014, 01:47 PM
I
Thursday next week. Going to use the stock speakers we pull out to replace the speakers in my girlfriends Jeep. Believe it or not someone actually uses worse speakers then holden in their cars. I cannot even bare to have it on when I am in it they are that bad.
Will save some cash over xmas to get some sound deadener. If anyone know a place I can get decent stuff at a good price would be appreciated.

Someone uses worse speakers than our stock ones?? Is that even possible? I would recommend just changing speakers and nothing else if $ was a factor as they are the weakest link IMO.
I look forward to your Instal, is should sound a lot better than factory. Oh pull all you told speakers out and keep them aside in case you sell. They are only dead weight otherwise.

white_lie
29-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Just get dynamat bulk kits off eBay or FHRX

FollowTheSapper
30-11-2014, 01:24 AM
Just get dynamat bulk kits off eBay or FHRX

Thanks white lie!

Xr8ted - I intend on pulling the stock subs out as well. Just need to find somewhere safe to keep them.

Kam.e3
18-12-2014, 07:40 PM
How did the instal go ?

FollowTheSapper
18-12-2014, 09:09 PM
All went well enough. Sat there the whole time and watched the guy like a hawk. Two things I wasn't happy with:
1- the way he secured the sub by screwing up through the spare wheel cover into the base of the sub box! Wasn't even square. So pulled it out and attached one of these either side and bolt down into the cover. Easy to unlatch and remove the sub when need be.
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/FollowTheSapper/8E0F1908-0CFB-4978-9887-530321926BD1_zpsa7hc4vjr.jpg (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/FollowTheSapper/media/8E0F1908-0CFB-4978-9887-530321926BD1_zpsa7hc4vjr.jpg.html)

2- guy must be going deaf as when the ignition was on and no music there was a very noticeable static. So I turned the gain down on all the speakers.

Still a little adjustment to go but it was good enough to keep me happy on the 10hr drive to QLD last Sunday.

mickyinc
18-12-2014, 10:54 PM
I went for a spin in my mates ute today and he had a slimline sub under the drivers seat , mate did that thing pump it out. Im thinking I should get one under my seat as well as the 2 in the boot

FollowTheSapper
18-12-2014, 10:59 PM
You would really feel it under the seat. The boot is good but it's so far away! Need to do some sound deadening before I can turn it right up and not have the rear vibrate itself apart!

mickyinc
18-12-2014, 11:59 PM
Did you get the lot done or only the sub ? Im going to do the rest of the speakers over xmas,

FollowTheSapper
19-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Front and rears done and centre speaker removed. I kept it to a fairly tight budget but the improvement is 100x better then stock.

XR8TEDVY2
20-12-2014, 04:35 AM
Front and rears done and centre speaker removed. I kept it to a fairly tight budget but the improvement is 100x better then stock.

Great to hear ! Boom boom! Lol
Very sad the Instal didn't go to well and to be honest it's almost as important as the gear you buy in the first place. If you were in WA I could have recommended a great place. When they installed my sub the secured it via a little seatbelt strap thing on each side holding it the back side of the rear seat but in the boot. It can't move even with aggressive driving.
Get that dynomatting as it really helps keep the vibrations away as well as keeping the sound inside the car.
Keep on doof doofing Sapper !

mickyinc
21-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Why did you remove the centre speaker ? What brand of speaker did you go for? Im thinking of changing the head unit but that's when the bucks really start kicking in and if it doesn't make a huge diff to sound quality I wont bother . Any thoughts

FollowTheSapper
21-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Why did you remove the centre speaker ? What brand of speaker did you go for? Im thinking of changing the head unit but that's when the bucks really start kicking in and if it doesn't make a huge diff to sound quality I wont bother . Any thoughts

Centre speaker is a tiny little 4" speaker that distorts. A lot of people disconnect it even if they aren't upgrading. I went JL in the doors and a kicker 12" sub and 5ch amp. The amp also has a built in LOC. If you want big bass I would go a separate amp.

I wants to keep the had unit so it looks factory and I don't lose the EDI. You can get a single DIN heady it mounted under the factory one.

mickyinc
21-12-2014, 01:16 PM
I already have the subs. How much did you pay for your amp with the loc?
I'll buy speakers for the doors. Do you think I should replace the tweeters at the same time? Any thoughts of taking the speakers out of the back parcel shelf and put some in hooked up to the amp tht runs the door speakers
http://media702.dropshots.com/photos/1205393/20141122/b_103127.jpg

white_lie
21-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Get good components for the front and just put the tweeters up where the factory ones are.

Aren't the speakers on the shelf small subs? With a pair in the boot, I'd just disconnect them and amp the speakers in the back doors

mickyinc
21-12-2014, 01:39 PM
I disconnected the 2 in the parcel shelf , they are subs. When you say amp speakers in rear doors, wouldn't I amp them all or do you mean buy 2 speakers for the front , 2 tweeters to replace standard and leave the speakers in the rear doors just connect them to new amp??

white_lie
21-12-2014, 02:23 PM
The splits (driver in the door and tweeter) will run off the same channels of the amp.
Then just either connect the stock rears to the amp or get some decent coaxials to go in there

mickyinc
21-12-2014, 05:07 PM
awesome thanx Whitelie.... so all I need are the 2 fronts +tweeters and alls good

FollowTheSapper
21-12-2014, 06:31 PM
My fronts included the tweeters and They were mounted in the factory position. I would also replace the rear door speakers as the originals are crap. The Rear door speakers and the fronts all run off the amp. The original subs are still in but disconnected. When I get around to sound proofing the rear shelf I will remove them.

FollowTheSapper
21-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Alpine PDX-V9 5 Channel Car Amplifier (built in LOC)
JL Audio C2-600 6" 100w Component
JL Audio C2-650X 6" 100w
Kicker VCWR122 12" Subwoofer W/Enclosure

This is what I had installed.

Audi
06-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Check out this Phone Sapper, would be awesome for hard wiring to your setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcnGxhILDsM

FollowTheSapper
06-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Check out this Phone Sapper, would be awesome for hard wiring to your setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcnGxhILDsM

Looks good but at $1200us I might wait a while on that one!

mickyinc
06-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Is 100w big enough . Are you happy with the quality and how loud it is ? If you are I"ll get the same

FollowTheSapper
06-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Is 100w big enough . Are you happy with the quality and how loud it is ? If you are I"ll get the same

The quality is good, or good enough for me not sure how much of an audiophile you are! The sub is slightly under powered by the amp I used but its more then enough to vibrate all the mirrors in the car to the point I turn it down to reverse yet there is no distortion. I am happy but I would listen to someone else's setup if you can. I listened to Voodoo_sv6 setup prior to mine as a base level and added a few bits and pieces to meet my requirements. If you are ever in Sydney happy for you to have a look if you want.

mickyinc
06-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Thanx.... My subs vibrate every storage unit in my factory when I pump it.... I'm probably looking for clarity outta front speakers.
How many watts is your amp. If the amps ok I can always try different speakers , their not to pricey. My subs amp is 2000w