PDA

View Full Version : mods

hsv clubby
12-12-2004, 09:40 PM
was reading somewhere that putting stuff like, airflow meters cold induction and throttle bodys on the LS1 are only good for a few days. Apparently the comp recalibrates back to stock after a few days..........................is this crap?

GoOsE!!!
13-12-2004, 11:38 AM
i heard thats what happends, but they can do stuff that resets it back, i think they had something about the battery and reseting the chip every day or sumthing

hsvvtmanta
13-12-2004, 07:04 PM
I heard the same thing , it has something to do with the manufacturer making sure the vehicle emisions always remain in the manufacturer specs. From what i've heard no one has found a way around the problem apart from running a separate computer for the engine, or disconnecting the battery every day to reset the cpu then it take a couple of days to relearn and there goes your power again.The GTS 300kw was apparently
the only one to escape the resrictions.I don't think it effects any before the ls1.

GoOsE!!!
13-12-2004, 08:14 PM
what i read was a switch from the console to the battery would work, cant remember what it did, but any chance to add a missle switch shouldnt be missed :wink:

essess
04-01-2005, 11:49 AM
are you talking about ls1 edit? any changes with that are permanent

-HSV-
04-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I heard the same thing , it has something to do with the manufacturer making sure the vehicle emisions always remain in the manufacturer specs. From what i've heard no one has found a way around the problem apart from running a separate computer for the engine, or disconnecting the battery every day to reset the cpu then it take a couple of days to relearn and there goes your power again.The GTS 300kw was apparently
the only one to escape the resrictions.I don't think it effects any before the ls1.
EDIT: woops, misread your post... anyway, heres how to do the relearn procedure. it should automatically reset after a couple days...

actually the way to reset the 'CPU' (its ECU :p) is to follow these instructions, not just take it out for a couple of days. i wrote up this manual after reading how to do it from someone else experienced i nteh field. i think my instructions are easier yet you do exactly the same thing. they're as follows:

VT-VY Computer Reset and Idle Relearn Procedure

WARNING: You can damage your PCM if the ignition isn’t off when its (engine fuse) connected or disconnected.
The engine temp must be above 80degrees before you reset your ECU.

Read through this manual before you attempt to do it and have the fuse located ready to remove before you start.

To use the digital temp gauge to get the engine above 80degrees (aim for about 90-95 for best results) follow these instructions: with the car off, hold down the MODE and UP buttons on your trip computer. Now start the car (while holding the buttons). Scroll through the functions using MODE until you reach TEMP. Leave it here and wait for it to get to about 90degrees.

1. Now that the engine temp is above 80degrees, turn off the car.

2. Remove the PCM fuse. It’s under the bonnet, in the engine compartment fuse/relay panel (the one just behind the battery). There should be a list of the fuses and their names on the back of the cover. Find: F31-the ENG. CONT/BCM fuse. It’s a 10amp fuse.

3. Once located, remove fuse and wait for 20seconds.

4. Replace the fuse.

Now the ECU has been reset, we need to give it the new information because any mods to exhaust and or intake are being picked up by the cars many sensors.

1. Now that the fuse is back in, the car is still above 80degrees (should be) apply the park brake.
2. Turn off the aircon or climate control.
3. Start the engine; coolant should still be above 80degrees.
4. Keep car in neutral.
5. Allow engine to idle for 5mins.
6. …Leave engine idle for another 5mins (total of 10mins idle)
7. Turn off engine and leave for at least 5mins.

Now your ECU has been reset and you should get the most out of your mods from the std. ECU!!!

white_lie
05-01-2005, 04:30 AM
Just get LS1 edit on it.
Its pointless doing mods to an LS1 and not getting it tuned!
You'll pick up a heap of power, and won't have to worry about resetting your ECU every month :roll:

rusty_042
06-01-2005, 12:51 PM
so with intake mods on the ls1 they go back to normal power evels within days thats wierd

-HSV-
07-01-2005, 11:34 AM
so with intake mods on the ls1 they go back to normal power evels within days thats wierdnot neccessarily. it'll go back, and wont be gettin the best from the mods.