PDA

View Full Version : Clubsport - The Friendly HSV

Sniper
13-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Back in 1990 when Crenno was away in the UK and Harves was Marketing Manager and needed a new volume model to keep things cranking he created the Clubsport . . . and I don't think that Harves would have ever thought it would become the foundation of the HSV range for the next 25 years . . It was a masters stroke in marketing and at the time it's budget conscious approach enabled many first time HSVers into the brand
Nearly 25 years on and I continue to see some damn fine examples on the road and on this forum . . . and there are now restos starting to happen with the Clubby . . .
This morning I was sent a link from a mate who saw a really nice "Turismo Blue" VZ Clubby that was on EBay . . . I've never owned a clubby myself but I have had 8 Maloo's which is essentially a Clubsport Ute . . .
I personally expect HSV to do something quite special with the Clubsport soon . . . and also create something special around its 25th Anniversary . . When was the first Clubbie produced?? . . . I'm too lazy to look it up! . .

HSVGTS125
13-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Here is some useless info but remember the first 2 model series (VN/ VP) were Club Sport. Clubsport as a 1 word name began in 1993 with VR.

Kind of a genius stroke of luck. Creating a parts bin model, finding a Porsche name without a trade mark and combining the 2 and marketing it with that great photo on a racetrack.
I like the idea of the VN Club Sport but couldn't bring myself to buy one. I do like the VP but its slower yet more comfortable.

Watching this model evolve is a great story in itself. I like the checker pattern on the side decal on VT clubsport to pay homage to the original.
R8 was the next successful name

Mikhail
13-09-2014, 07:50 PM
When the VN Club Sport (I forgot it was two words) was announced there was an article in the Saturday Courier Mail. I remember reading it and thinking that would get me into a Commodore. The first run which I think were all silver were snapped up fairly quickly and I wasn't in a position to grab one. Then it was announced that the Club Sport would be a routine model. Sorted out a few things like a new car for the wife and sell my E21 and there was a white Club Sport in the garage. 180kW @ 4600 rpm and 400Nm @ 3800 rpm. Mine was an auto with the big brake package from the SV5000. I added the front air dam and skirts later. It was fun to drive. Too much torque for the chassis but fun nonetheless. Trip computer used to show 16L/100 at an indicated 200 (obviously in the NT).

First set of rears disappeared quickly for some reason and I did a deal and put 225/50 16s all round up from the 205/55s. What a mistake, the thing tramlined like a bastard. Ended up with 205s on the front and 225s up the back (first staggered HSV?) and that transformed it. Was told to swap them back by Mr Plod two or three times but my memory was quite poor and I never got around to it. I was sorely tempted to do some engine work but it remained virtually stock.

I kept that car for almost 4 years and put 120,000km or so on it. Went from that to a manual XR6 but that is another story.

Since then I have had two Clubsports, an E1 with the LS2 and an E2 with LS3. Big difference between those and the VN.

I still have that first single page brochure. I will scan it and throw it on here. Might have a shot of two of the car itself as well. Thanks Sniper for starting this thread.

EDIT: And yes you can see the bits I ticked!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/ClubSportpage1aa_zpsee1e2c2d.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/mjrandom/media/ClubSportpage1aa_zpsee1e2c2d.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/mjrandom/ClubSportpage2a_zps16c65fb0.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/mjrandom/media/ClubSportpage2a_zps16c65fb0.jpg.html)

Audi
11-10-2014, 05:00 PM
What was the phone like to use? Did you have to be parked to use it? Did it get decent reception?

white_lie
11-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Wouldn't have been mobile phone laws back in those days!
From memory they were a pretty big unit on the side of the centre console/dash

Audi
11-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Wouldn't have been mobile phone laws back in those days!

No I know that but I was just thinking in terms of reception.
You see no cars these days getting around with digital TV tuners because you really need to be parked to get a signal.

white_lie
11-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Wouldn't have been much cellular coverage back in the day

HSVGTS125
12-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Not much coverage and calls were expensive.
Reception was as good as today