PDA

View Full Version : Superchargers

hsv clubby
30-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Im thinking about getting a supercharger for my R8 Clubby. i have a few questions if anyone can help.
what sort is the best, i've been looking at Vortec.
what other mods would need to be done, or would be advisable.

ozemuscle1
31-10-2004, 12:29 AM
check out the CAPA products, theyve got a superb reputation for producing awesome kits. http://www.capa.com.au/

*EDIT*

theres the Holden Kits here http://www.capa.com.au/kits_holden.htm

VTSS350
31-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Hi Mate, I am just fitting a Vortech supercharger to my VTSS LS1 at the minute. Vortech is one of the better centerfugeral superchargers, but the are a few positive displacement superchargers that are great for low down grunt.

I have had to replace the standard fuel pump as well as a new set of injectors to handle fuel delivery requirements as well as intercooling the supercharger.

If you have any questions just ask

VTSS350

SirHSV
01-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Whats your insurance company say about these mods?? or they simply dont know :lol: :?:

VTSS350
01-11-2004, 09:48 PM
I will be insuring it with shanons and will only cost me $1700 which is 400 more than I am paying now. They have been told about all the MODS

Homer
14-12-2004, 01:13 AM
I like how the Eaton sits atop the engine. What's the main difference between this type and the Vortec which from the pics sits alongside the engine.

rusty_042
06-01-2005, 01:59 PM
get a vortec v7 prolly best charger u can get for em otherwise go turbo setup

hsvvtmanta
06-01-2005, 03:58 PM
You don't hear of many twin turbo setups for v8's you only seem to hear about them being fitted to 4 or 6 cylinder engines is it just a problem with having space to do it under bonnet or are there legal problems.I can't see it being a power problem as i can remember about 15 years ago a company in sydney built a $20000 twin turbo 5litre and it put out about 900hp.You would think the price of parts had fallen by nowmaking it much cheaper to build and reliability has improved , but then again maybe not.

ozemuscle1
06-01-2005, 04:42 PM
You don't hear of many twin turbo setups for v8's you only seem to hear about them being fitted to 4 or 6 cylinder engines is it just a problem with having space to do it under bonnet or are there legal problems.I can't see it being a power problem as i can remember about 15 years ago a company in sydney built a $20000 twin turbo 5litre and it put out about 900hp.You would think the price of parts had fallen by nowmaking it much cheaper to build and reliability has improved , but then again maybe not.you'd be surprised. there were quite a few in development last time i saw, the first to be produced the Kimberley Autos car that was in Street Machine. CAPA have developed a single turbo kit, and Starr performance had one in the making last i heard. as for the Holden V8, theres gotta be some around. all the above make superb supercharger kits.

-HSV-
07-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I like how the Eaton sits atop the engine. What's the main difference between this type and the Vortec which from the pics sits alongside the engine.

the names of the two types are centrifugal (next to engine) and the other's a roots (on top engine) supercharger.

Centrifugal supercharger (fig. 5-39). The centrifugal supercharger has an impeller equipped with curved vanes. As the engine drives the impeller, it draws air into its center and throws it off at its rim. The air then is pushed along the inside of the circular housing. The diameter of the housing gradually increases to the outlet where the air is pushed out.

(Rootes) supercharger (fig. 5-40). The Rootes supercharger is of the positive displacement type and consists of two rotors inside a housing. As the engine drives the rotors, air is trapped between them and the housing. Air is then carried to the outlet where it is discharged. The rotors and the housing in this type of supercharger must maintain tight clearances and therefore are sensitive to dirt.

best i could come up with are the above dictionary meanings ;) hope they help.

white_lie
08-01-2005, 07:01 AM
There's also a screw type blower. Similar to the PD style, but has two large screw shaped vanes. These pretty much sit together and the air is compressed as it goes thru them. These are the type of blowers that Sprintex make.

Amberley Auto's have made TT kits for the LS1. Pretty much a stealth setup as you can't see the turbo's at all unless you're really looking for them. Bit on the expensive side of bolt ons at around $16K for a stage 1 kit (supply and fit) but great gains to be had. Jason from Street Commodores has recently installed one of these on his Monaro and has pulled around 450rwhp (335rwkW) on a measly 8PSI.

Other options with the LS1's of course are head and cam packages. Heaps of LS1's running low 11's with very cheap packages.

-HSV-
08-01-2005, 07:18 AM
There's also a screw type blower. Similar to the PD style, but has two large screw shaped vanes. These pretty much sit together and the air is compressed as it goes thru them. i tyhink youll find that its exactly the same thing as a roots blower only different name...

white_lie
09-01-2005, 07:48 AM
No, they are a completely different setup.
Check the "How they work" title for a bit more info. I've got a link on my other PC with a more detailed site, but this is the best I could come up with from a google search.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=19