PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying WM Grange

SolidSnake
27-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Hello everyone

I'm torn between a WM Caprice or a WM Grange at the moment, max budget is $30K, I've noticed I can get a newer regular Caprice V (2011) model for around $26K or the 2007 Grange with about 100,000km for $30K before negotiation.

Is it worth going the Grange over the regular Caprice, or would I be better off with the Caprice and then chuck the savings into cam, full exhaust etc?

The Grange has killer looks, I'm leaning towards Grange at the moment, I live out in Rural Victoria so I'm mainly just cruising the highways.

Thanks much.

XR8TEDVY2
27-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Hmmm tough one really. Personally I'd be trying to pick up a Grange with the lowest possible k's. Although the Caprice V is nice it doesn't beat the added HSV touches for extra style IMO. Good luck!

grange250
27-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Negotiate the Grange. At three years they have dropped 55% in value and come on par with a Caprice. Had the WK since May 2007 and couldn't be happier. Km doesn't really matter as long as it has not been a taxi with stop/start all day long. Look at the service logbook and the invoices if available. I always take care of things before they 'need' to be done and have rarely had a nasty surprise - water pump and alternator, being the only two not on the regular service schedule.

Andrew_02
27-08-2014, 07:00 PM
the grange is much better a lot more than exhaust cam and new shocks

parts are many times the cost though!!!! new bumper is 2850 for the grange almost $5k painted and fitted with the chrome
crap.

I have had two WM caprice v8s and two wm granges, depends on how long you want to keep the car for
and how much you can spend each year on servicing and parts, price up some brake rotors and pads for both!
although that sort of stuff you can buy after market, and the electrics is similar $120-150 an hour labour to fix.
you mention doing mods to a caprice, you will say goodbye to every cent in most cases, so go the grange
that has been very well looked after. cheers

SolidSnake
27-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys, I'm assuming on either cars wouldn't be too hard to negotiate on, the used car market is rooted and it seems people are complaining about fuel costs making either choice the best value on the second hand market, there isn't any shortage of them either it seems.

What sort of $$$ would I be looking at in aftermarket pads/rotors etc? Also what are the 20" wheels like for B grade country roads (and most likely the ocasional dirt road).

Whats the opinion on the "magnetic ride control", I've seen people weary of failure and high replacement costs, could you replace them with normal shock/springs if it failed?

I can do my own servicing, I have access to a hoist so that makes life easier.

Andrew_02
27-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys, I'm assuming on either cars wouldn't be too hard to negotiate on, the used car market is rooted and it seems people are complaining about fuel costs making either choice the best value on the second hand market, there isn't any shortage of them either it seems.

What sort of $$$ would I be looking at in aftermarket pads/rotors etc? Also what are the 20" wheels like for B grade country roads (and most likely the ocasional dirt road).

Whats the opinion on the "magnetic ride control", I've seen people weary of failure and high replacement costs, could you replace them with normal shock/springs if it failed?

I can do my own servicing, I have access to a hoist so that makes life easier.

Hi 18 inch rims seem to be the largest for great grip and ride, but will look crap on the whale so id stick to 19s
and that's on sealed roads, the rear tyres will wear fast keep rears at 37-39 and 37 psi cold fronts min...
and watch out for cheap tyres with heaps of road noise or poor in the wet, plus all 275 rears are not 275 wide
and some have NO rim protection like the Bridgestone S001, the RE050 are standard and great and have come down
from 750 to 550 for up to 30,000kms so do keep the psi up hsv have the psi dash readout.
MRC is okay the euros use it but never replace with the same too costly and really an average ride, but the
press button change is great I always hit the hard setting for speed humps to save the front bumper.
just look for ANY leak around the shocks and do the bounce/rebound test more than 1.5 rebounds and they are done.
sorry brake parts not sure but use the guys that advertise on this forum, and put up with some brake dust
as hard metal pads will mean you are buying new rotors faster, my brakes are still great good at 30,000
--check all the electrics use all the a/c settings 3 dvd's try both keys, all the seat settings, any one of these
in a caprice or grange can cost you lots but nothing like a euro model!
you can do your own service but not much room to get to parts, better to go to a local performance shop, half the price due to Holden needing to charge something like $140 per hour!
you really must wait for the right grange even try getting a forum member to sell one well looked after with a few mods
would be a great buy some forum members im sure sleep with their cars and give them names, use clay bars on them
and even use blow dryers to stop water marks after washing crazy hey.
(I do spend a while taking all my wheels off to clean behind the rims using chrome polish)!!!
cheers andrew

SolidSnake
29-08-2014, 10:51 AM
How is it for ride height because I'll be using it on B grade country roads and some dirt roads here and there.

Andrew_02
29-08-2014, 05:24 PM
For gravel they are fine my old lwb i took north of daintree cairns and kept in front of 4fd s but it chews the tyres bad takes chunks of rubber off
And stone chips could be cosly cheers.

grange250
30-08-2014, 01:39 PM
The "front scraper" - also known as a front spoiler can get damage at country cross roads that have the mini drains at crossroad intersections, unless one can angle across. I have given up getting the thing repainted but the pleasure of driving the car is still there. Next service is 360K.

SolidSnake
03-09-2014, 02:39 PM
I've contacted the dealership with this car:

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/_/AGC-AD-15818399/

Waiting on a reply.

Senator01
03-09-2014, 03:07 PM
I've contacted the dealership with this car:

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/_/AGC-AD-15818399/

Waiting on a reply.

Couple here ... NSW, but an easy transfer to Vic.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Grange-2007/AGC-AD-16424895/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Grange-2007/SSE-AD-2925288/?Cr=4&sdmvc=1

SolidSnake
03-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks for that, I would have to sell my daily privately first before I could source a car from interstate.

Ideally thats what I'd like to do anyway but I'm checking what sort of coin I'd get for trade in and cash to pay the rest which would save me the hassle of RWC etc.

Andrew_02
03-09-2014, 08:18 PM
I used the carsales site to get a price 20-25k was the reply but for 110-150,000kms
I think the price is very close but is everything working fine
discs, pads, service history, h balancer these cars can cost big bucks to fix, check 100 percent everything that
moves, keys, seats, c ctl mirrors auto dip and so on. I would then get that fixed and ask for 2-3k off the price
you really need to have a car with so many options checked out in out and under, test drive it on a long trip
on rough roads cornering I would even get a suspension test done.

But that is a very very neat low kms car, and a lot of car for 30 grand, look close at the paint car yards
will use a great wax/almost like oil that makes the whole car look better than new, it collects dust like flies to shit
and after you wash the car, you will see a few buff marks but after seven years you would expect them
I guess its a one owner.
cant believe how tidy it looks but it is a grange/whale! I will miss mine. cheers

SolidSnake
04-09-2014, 12:20 PM
They're going to come out to me, plenty of dirt roads out here boys ;)

If I can get them to come out on a Saturday I can get it to a mates shop who has a scan tool and we can scan it for codes etc maybe chuck it up on the hoist, take one side of the wheels off and look at pads etc.

Nath
04-09-2014, 06:31 PM
stretch the budget a little for a Supercharged example..?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Grange-2009/SSE-AD-2630169/?Cr=5&sdmvc=1

SolidSnake
04-09-2014, 11:48 PM
stretch the budget a little for a Supercharged example..?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Grange-2009/SSE-AD-2630169/?Cr=5&sdmvc=1

Too many KM and its probably not engineered so unfortunately no lol.

Agreed to meet me at the shop on Saturday 10:30AM, I wanted to do it later but unfortunately he wouldn't so that means I won't be able to put it up on the hoist, but I can still scan it.

He started going over the phone "Its already very cheap", theres the two in NSW for under $30K with less KM on the clock, so hopefully I can use that against him.

There is a video of the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeqR4UxllNM

So its been there for 4 months now.

I'm betting that since these things weren't cheap cars, as in $80K mark that they wouldn't have been owned by morons and they would have been looked after rather than had the shit thrashed out of them and traded in.

Andrew_02
05-09-2014, 12:27 PM
doubt they will let you plug in anything to the car, you will need to move slowly
I hate used car deals. I have heard of car yards not letting rac type checks being done until you own the car!
they should have a 100 point type check, from what ive seen they are not worth two cents.
if parts are 90 percent worn out no warranty will cover that because the car is fine
however prior to signing a contract you can ask for new parts.
you must get a car like this checked out $97k new means $200k plus plus if you built one using parts
and the $12-150 an hour labour, that's one way of looking at it.
for 2 to 3k off and all outstanding work done it looks like a nice car, check the owner details in the log books
and or ask for a print out of the service and parts history. they use the VIN, you can't even get a price for a HSV
car part now without quoting a VIN.

If you could get a grange owner to test drive the car they may now what to look for wrt how it drives and sounds!
would be interesting to know why the kms are so low.
Granges had deals like 5 new cars for ANZ bank around this cars release, I looked at a similar car in melb
about the same age with 14000kms on the clock owned by a very old Italian couple quiet funny the
car was covered in cob webs it had just been left in the garage. dealer was telling the owner it had not been serviced
owner was saying it was and dealer never stamped the book they were trying to steal it of this old couple.
should move this to bar talk!! cheers andrew

SolidSnake
06-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Salesman came 60km out to me, let me drive it by myself and we gave it a good look over, jacked it up, checked underneath no issues, hooked up the scan tool, no codes.

They wanted too much though.

Set on a WM Grange though, VERY nice car.

Y2Clubby
16-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Hi SolidSnake.

Don't go for the LS2 6.0 litre. If you're going to spend $30k, go for the MY08 Upgrade model that came with the LS3 6.2 litre.
You may as well have the best engine offered in that car.

SolidSnake
18-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Hi SolidSnake.

Don't go for the LS2 6.0 litre. If you're going to spend $30k, go for the MY08 Upgrade model that came with the LS3 6.2 litre.
You may as well have the best engine offered in that car.

Thanks Y2Clubby, unfortunately everything seems to be priced $30K plus at the moment in Victoria, even for the LS2 variant. I might have to wait until someone here wants to upgrade or just go for the regular Caprice and do some engine work.

race
23-10-2014, 08:22 PM
I've got one which i am about to trade in,i bought it new.the k's are up there i think 180 but it is going to be priced cheap as trade in prices are crap. 21k. i would rather sell it to someone for that price and get a no trade bonus.if you are interested give me a call 0400300306