PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch subs

HSVDT20
08-07-2014, 02:05 AM
Im looking to upgrade the stereo in my VZ Clubsport, dont want a sub box in the boot and instead want to go twin 8inch subs on the parcel shelf and overall keep a factory look

Just wondering what experiences, brands etc others have had with aftermarket 8 inch free air subs

cheers

white_lie
08-07-2014, 11:29 AM
I think a few guys on here have changed theirs but I could only find this thread...
http://www.hsvforum.com.au/showthread.php?11349-Replacing-Factory-Subwoofers-VZ-Senator

Deaden/dynamat the shelf and turn the amp up for a start.
I've never been impressed by 8" free air subs, I'd always go a 10" or 12" in a box as they just seem like a compromise but I can understand where you're coming from... Could always mount one in the wheel well or fibreglassed in to the back corner ;)

HSVDT20
08-07-2014, 12:09 PM
thanks white_lie

I did read through this forum but didnt think to go through that section .. appreciate it .. Ive seen the soundstream refrence 8 inch subs aswell i know rockford make an 8 inch but unsure how it'd go free air

white_lie
08-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Loads of people make 8"s, it's just finding one to suit a free air application.
I know most of JL's marine range is suited to infinite baffle but whether they sound any good being tougher materials to deal with salt water and what not is another thing!

The ID8's are also meant to be good free air. Like these (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22181_Image-Dynamics-ID8-D2-V.3.html)
You'll probably find a bigger range in the states but can't listen to them before buying.

Depending on how far you want to go with it, it could also be worthwhile putting in a new MDF shelf. Could probably fit 10"s on there if you wanted to and modify a factory shelf so the grilles and everything else looks standard. But even with 8"s, a solid MDF platform will give much better results than just bolting them to the metal parcel shelf.

Mad Walkinshaw
14-07-2014, 03:56 PM
If you're not prepared to go down the route of building a dedicated box can I suggest one of the many bass tubes on the market and mount it up against the back seat. Kicker, MTX, Focal and a few others make very shallow subs in their own small enclosures. Mounting any sub in the factory parcel shelf is going to sound abysmal and destroy and sound quality.