PDA

View Full Version : Typical Annual Runnng Cost Of A HSV Clubsport R8 In Perth/WA

StefanVXR8
03-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Hi guys,

I wonder if someone can help me out with something? I currently live in the UK and own a Vauxhall VXR8 which is essentially a HSV Clubsport R8. Mine is a 2009 LS3 with a Harrop HTV1900 Supercharger, Wortec lowering springs and Wortec bi-modal exhaust.

I have a job offer in Perth and we are looking at making a permanent move and ideally I'd like to bring my car over. I can get a certificate of compliance from Holden to bring it in but what I really need to get an idea of is the general running costs of owning one in WA.

So for example, at present in the UK I pay $900AUD for annual car tax, $1,170AUD for insurance.

Can anyone give me an estimate of what it costs to own an R8 there, typical figures for Rego and insurance plus anything else you guys have to pay on an annual basis? Location wise we'll possibly settle in WA6030.

I used an import calculator the other day and it seems cheaper for me to import my car than buy an equivilent R8 in Perth and that's before we add on the Supercharger and suspension etc!

Thanks for your help guys.

Stefan

white_lie
03-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Rego would be more like 550-600, insurance would probably be similar. No other annual costs associated with it but the hard part would be getting the car rego'd in the first place.
There will be a few hoops to jump thru with regards to getting the supercharger legal. Shouldn't be too bad if it's on a stock motor but if it's cammed there will be problems.

VFR8
03-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Insurance will depend on age group, postcode, previous history etc.

Given you have none history wise, you will be up for quite a bit but it does depend on age too

StefanVXR8
03-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm 44 and a clean sheet here in the UK, but like you say that doesn't count for anything there.

My R8 is just fitted with the HTV1900, no cam or anything. Holden will provide a compliance certificate, technically the VXR8 is absolutely identical to your Clubby R8, except the badging. My VIN reads back to Holden manufacture in Australia etc.

I guess as it's going to be classed as an import does that typically attract higher premiums than normal, bit of an odd case with mine I guess!

Stef

Senator01
03-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Contact the WA Roads and Traffic department and find out first hand. Better getting the true detail rather than guesses. Check the Web for contact details. Best to be fully prepared BEFORE you get here.

StefanVXR8
03-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Contact the WA Roads and Traffic department and find out first hand. Better getting the true detail rather than guesses. Check the Web for contact details. Best to be fully prepared BEFORE you get here.

Absolutely! Lot's of form filling before we even get there on the ground. Just need to make sure I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot cost wise before I even consider bringing the car over.

I'm going to be absolutely gutted if I can't bring it for whatever reason, it's such a great car and used R8's with superchargers aren't commonly up for sale from what I've seen, unless you go for a new/demo VF GTS of course! (I wish!!)

Thanks for the help though, really appreciate it.

Stef

white_lie
03-04-2014, 09:59 PM
What are they worth over there?
There's a few Walky supercharged E GTS's for sale 45-50k, or you could buy a Clubby R8 for 35-40, 10k for blower give or take.
Given the cost of transporting yours and getting it rego'd I don't know if it would be worthwhile?

I don't think you'll have issues with the importing process, just getting the supercharger complaint. It will need emissions and noise testing, doesn't mean it won't pass but may not be as simple as rocking up and passing the tests straight up.

StefanVXR8
03-04-2014, 10:10 PM
What are they worth over there?
There's a few Walky supercharged E GTS's for sale 45-50k, or you could buy a Clubby R8 for 35-40, 10k for blower give or take.
Given the cost of transporting yours and getting it rego'd I don't know if it would be worthwhile?

I don't think you'll have issues with the importing process, just getting the supercharger complaint. It will need emissions and noise testing, doesn't mean it won't pass but may not be as simple as rocking up and passing the tests straight up.

I paid 23,000 for mine which is $41,000AUD in today's money, that was as it is now with supercharger, lowered suspension, Wortec exhaust and auto gearbox remap.

A standard Clubby here, 2008 to 2009 LS2 or LS3 goes for $23,000 - $32,000AUD depending on the usual mileage etc.

Some early 2008's go for as little as $21,000AUD here, all VE's of course. E3's (of which there are very few) go for around $63,000AUD

Stef

moray066
04-04-2014, 01:46 AM
Take the blower off, sell the car, standard, bring the blower with you, buy a nice R8 here and fit the blower, whala!
You can lower it to your liking and WA have some of the best tuners in the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StefanVXR8
04-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Take the blower off, sell the car, standard, bring the blower with you, buy a nice R8 here and fit the blower, whala!
You can lower it to your liking and WA have some of the best tuners in the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, I like your thinking!

:)

Stef

Nath
10-04-2014, 11:41 PM
I guess as it's going to be classed as an import does that typically attract higher premiums than normal, bit of an odd case with mine I guess!

Stef

Correct, also resale value will be lower & more difficult for same reason - had a friend who completed this exercise with their BMW M3 and ended up wishing they hadn't, financially speaking....

Good luck with your choice

Sent from my iPhone 6

grange250
18-04-2014, 01:34 PM
An imported "Australian Car" will always give you grief. There can be one little thing somewhere that will end up costing an arm and a leg - often in the ignition system. Leave the emotional side behind and look at the financial logics - then decide.

white_lie
18-04-2014, 03:23 PM
I can't see how anything breaking down in it can cost an arm and a leg. They're all the same parts as here

grange250
27-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Local demands can require different plug fittings and settings in computers. A BMW or Mercedes for the Australian market has different ignition fittings and plug-in sizes than a European, Asian or US car. A Toyota or Mazda for PNG or the Pacific markets can even have different sized windscreen frames as well as different electrical and engine fittings (all found from fact - overseas service was useful for something). Don't assume every part will be interchangeable.

XR8TEDVY2
27-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Rego here in Wa will set you back $520 per year. As for insurance I'm 42 with an E3 Senator which is $900 per year. Fuel is around the $1.50 mark per litre. It does go up and down through the week.
If I were you I'd work out the costs with bringing it to OZ and go from there. If it would be cheaper to sell it in the UK and buy another here do it. Bare in mind you may fall in a trap of getting over here with the money you sold it for a with a little help from the other half you may prioritise something else and end up with no HSV at all.
The choice is yours. Good luck !