PDA

View Full Version : difference between gen-f and E3 intake piping

350boss
19-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Hi fellow HSV owners, thought someone may know what the difference is between the intake piping between gen-f and e3 granges see the pics below....

WM E3 - 2012 Grange
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Grange-2012/AGC-AD-14649225/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Grange-2012/AGC-AD-14649225/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Gen-F - 2014 grange
http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Grange-2013/AGC-AD-14610123/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Grange-2013/AGC-AD-14610123/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

I did notice the extra KW up from 325 to 340, just curious how much of that increase is due to better flow from airbox to throttle body.

Cheers Lou.

VFR8
19-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Yeah it's the bi modal intake that is the difference, same as the VF GTS. More air flow up top, albeit not much.

If you're going to tune and OTR it's of no relevance.

350boss
19-03-2014, 10:20 PM
I recently did the tune decided against getting the VCM CAI due to not looking OEM (even though this unit is the closest thing to looking original), gains are debatable but thought a more direct piping from standard air-box to throttle body may help things, I believe the difference may only equate to 2-5 kw at the wheels.

VFR8
19-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Do you mean as in a stock bi modal vs OTR there is not much of a difference? (I'm a bit lost with your meaning).

Would be interested in intake temps too.

350boss
19-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Sorry about that, the stock piping from factory wasn't aware this was referred to as 'bi-modal' thought that referred to the exhaust or rear mufflers to be more specific. The difference I refer to above is between the stock piping in the E3 and what the gen-f has or as an alternative just some 90mm piping with the 90 degree bend. Proper CAI would have more gains.

VFR8
19-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Ok so

VE air box, not bi modal.
VF air box, bi modal, opens up to more air at certain rpm giving that, minor, power increase.

Not to be confused with the exhausts which are also bi modal :)

jkhsv
20-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Nice flap in the air box :o

Andrew_02
20-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Only down side I see here is after a tune both WM and WN can only go to about 365FWKW max
with a tune and otrcai, less if you had a new WN and kept to bi modal intake.
the bi modal intake should give you a bit more noise. I recall talking to a HSV chap/boss at the Melb
motor show about 3 years ago and asked him about the then new VE V6 that had a much smaller
intake baffell/heap of plastic, sound is the main change, bimodal more noise and more air.
if I could make my own intake I would use two large ram type intakes with a bi modal fit too much air is not as good
as just enough at speed and cold as possible.

I would like to see a VF GTS stock 1/4 mile then put a drag car style ram air intake on top of the bonnet.
my guess a big difference
cheers

350boss
20-03-2014, 09:39 PM
I was thinking of replacing all that plumbing with just a 90 degree bend pipe made from silicon or material used for inter coolers to improve that flow and get rid of all those chambers on the standard setup, not sure if this would make any power gains, the grange as it is already pumps out 251 kw at the wheels and that's more than enough for me.

Andrew_02
20-03-2014, 09:44 PM
That was what I wanted to do but I could not find the parts, similar to the new gts, you can order them
from the states, I think the companies that sell/install blowers will have and sell the parts but the cost
was a rip off half the price of the caiotr, only part I don't like about the otrcai is the filter is not so easy to
remove clean and refit, and you end up with a lot more crap/it needs cleaning 2 or 3 times as often.
great intake sound though.
cheers

adr8
21-03-2014, 12:05 AM
A few places sell intake piping that bolts directly to the standard airbox and maff. VCM have it for $135 http://www.vcmstore.com.au/index.php/holden-products/intake/ve-v8-commodore/ve-cold-air-intake-pipe.html

350boss
21-03-2014, 09:05 PM
adr8 - thanks for that find its exactly what I had in mind, bit pricey but will see what the boys at Knox can do on that part, notice it even has the connection to take the air temp sensor. Looks like a simple swap over item, simply perfect. Cheers :-)

sm-r8
22-03-2014, 06:26 PM
I had this made for my old intake system had a walkinshaw cai

350boss
30-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Has any one compared the difference between these intake pipes and full OTR CAI like the one vcm or Orrsom products. Varying option States not much in it, but I have no figures of comparison.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

sm-r8
30-03-2014, 04:35 PM
i actually found no difference after i changed to the VCM OTR from that walkinshaw air box and aluminium intake pipe.
my tuner actually said the power went down, then he retuned it and got 3rwkw gain :(

350boss
31-03-2014, 11:16 AM
That's an interesting find as I have been told the HSV standard setup is quite good. There would no major gains worth full OTR CAI your experience only confirms that claim. WOW. When you say retuned it did you leave the OTR CAI in final setup ?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

sm-r8
31-03-2014, 11:55 AM
At first I had it tuned to suit the walkinshaw airbox and aluminium intake pipe which is in that picture..
Then I put on a vcm otr and had it retuned and at first he said the power had actually gone down compared to last time.
But after he tuned it up again it went from the original 282rwkw and ended up at 285rwkw.
I was thinking the cold air being rammed into the otr better would make a difference to temps shown on the Edi, but I haven't noticed any difference there either.

350boss
03-04-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm going keep an eye on the intake temperature now with the standard setup, noting the outside temp as well to gauge the difference on hot / cold days stop start driving and highway speeds. Then for the sake of it I will fit the VCM intake pipe keeping the standard airbox (getting rid of that ridiculous looking chamber setup), I like the idea of a more stock looking engine bay and can handle the smooth black intake pipe look. Will drop by the tuners for a dyno run just to compare figure at the wheels, this will be more for curiosity than expectation of any power gains. Call me mad but no one has posted back to back figures of stepping through these options so happy to be the first, call it stage 1, 2, 3 for cold air intake upgrade for dummies. Don’t shoot me down with laughter all at once :-)

mickwebs
03-04-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm going keep an eye on the intake temperature now with the standard setup, noting the outside temp as well to gauge the difference on hot / cold days stop start driving and highway speeds. Then for the sake of it I will fit the VCM intake pipe keeping the standard airbox (getting rid of that ridiculous looking chamber setup), I like the idea of a more stock looking engine bay and can handle the smooth black intake pipe look. Will drop by the tuners for a dyno run just to compare figure at the wheels, this will be more for curiosity than expectation of any power gains. Call me mad but no one has posted back to back figures of stepping through these options so happy to be the first, call it stage 1, 2, 3 for cold air intake upgrade for dummies. Donít shoot me down with laughter all at once :-)

It will be very interesting to see your results !