PDA

View Full Version : Which Fuel?

GTO155
06-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi i was just wondering, which fuel is everybody using. Ive got a GTO 285 kw, and i seem to get more kms using BP Ultimate. Anyone used Caltex Vortex, even though it has a RON of only 96, just wondering if it makes a huge difference. Thanks

-HSV-
06-08-2004, 11:07 AM
g'day and welcome to the forums!

generally i just use whatever fuel's the cheapest out of the BP, shell, watever. as far as i can see the type of fuel doesnt change the fuel consumption greatly. i havnt used caltex vortex but would also liek to hear other people's opinions.

SirHSV
06-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I was told that Optimax was the better quality fuel to use same with the Mobil high octane fuel. Thats what I was running in the Monaro.

JT
06-08-2004, 10:09 PM
I use BP Ultimate 95% of the time,if not then Mobil synergy 8000

essess
04-01-2005, 12:54 PM
mobil synergy 8000 i think its called is good to use doesnt have too many detergents in it

Young Cub
28-03-2005, 12:16 PM
have you tried shell optimax? coz it made my dads toyota camry run more smoothly and get more k's from 1 litre!

SV300
30-03-2005, 04:36 PM
From standard cars it best to use atleast 95 ron for our type of cars. However if tuned to run optimal timing, BP Ultimate is the go. Good reports also from Caltex 98.

Will get better consumption from better fuel with newer cars which can optimise timing etc....

Like they say in the books, Min 91 octane. For optimal runing however, Min 95 octane.

James

VTSS350
31-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Optimax is ok, but BP ultimate is much better quality.

With optimax its quality varys. When I had my car tunned at Sams Performance he said that he gets best results and less pinging on Ultimate. He also said that cars ping much earlier on opticrap.

Vortex 98 hasnt been out long enough to gauge how good it is going to be.

What people dont seem to realise is that if your car isnt tuned for a higher octane rating then its not going to get any real performance or fuel econamy benifits.

Talk to anyone that knows and you use the cheapest fuel that allows your car to run without pinging. Simple as that. If you car doesnt ping on standard then use it. Otherwise you just wasting money.

wagnman
31-03-2005, 05:20 PM
totally agree with vtss350's comments dont waste your money on hi octane fuels if you dont need them. the only benefit I can see in using them in a std car is the better quality fuels being more consistant. I only run bp ultimate but only because my car is tuned to run it.

SV300
31-03-2005, 09:22 PM
To clarify my statement about using 95 octane. My comment about using it in a "standard" car related to a HSV (GTO 285Kw) which is the one in question. If you EDIT it then use BP.

If you own a VN then YES don't bother.

You buy a high performance V8 and you want it to run and be more economical. Use min 95RON fuel. If you dont care and use 91RON.

Another point is the cleaner burn.

James

wagnman
04-04-2005, 12:32 PM
How about Nulon Pro strenght octane booster? One night when I was filling up on my usual BP Ultimate I was feeling rich and silly and I threw in a bottle of the booster as well. Well Ill be buggered! :o it actually seemed to make a difference! I thought that anything over the 98 octane BP ultimate would be overkill but perhapse not. Was I just getting exited and noticing something thart was not there (Like the hundreds of HI- Clone users out there) or was my edited ls1 altering its timing etc to make use of this boosted fuel. Does octane booster even lift 98 octane fuel at all? or is it only effective in 91 or 95 octane fuels? :?

VTSS350
04-04-2005, 04:36 PM
A good octane booster will boost the octane of an fuel, but only by 1-2points. There is diffenetly differences between batches of 98octane fuels. So its conceivable that if your cars tuned to run on 98 then it might feel a little stronger with octane booster in there.

Would be much though on a stocker

ozemuscle1
05-04-2005, 12:23 AM
timing is the biggest issue with this topic, as others have mentioned. use the reccommended octane, regardless of whether it gets better consumption or not, chances are, if the engine screws up, your warranty could become void.

hsvcarstereo
19-06-2005, 07:07 PM
My experience with fuels have been varied. My 285 Clubby doesn't seem to have as much grunt when using BP98 as it does with Shell Premium or Vortex. Each car I supppose is different and in each state of Oz the fuel mix may not be the same. In West Aust I found that BP not to be the best. I did find that using Wynns Race Formula Octane boost does the job also. Even when added to the high octane fuel. Deffinitely worth keeping a bottle in the boot just in case you go go away and the country servo doesnt have premium at all.

Generation Motorsport
25-07-2005, 06:07 PM
remember, if you engine is fitted with a knock sensor, you will benefeit from a better fuel, and if you have a genn 111, you have a duall spark program table (low and high octane) as soon as the knock sensors hear a ping, on the low table you go. we tune for the high octane, but keep the low table in place in case you get stuck with no fuel selection

Blownvsute
25-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Both mine have been tuned to run on BP Ultimate although the blown 5 litre has had octane booster run through it a while ago whilst trying to solve a detonation issue..Thought it was bad fuel at first but a complaint to BP and an insight into the testing methods to acheive RON ratings for fuel pointed to something else..Would try Optimax or an equivilent fuel but BP pretty much has WA sown up so BP Ultimate is about the only choice, particularly out in the country...

Generation Motorsport
26-07-2005, 01:54 PM
its a hard call sometimes, especially in something with forced induction, engine mangement is critical, comp ratio and fuel ron are so relative, there isnt any room for error, so its always better to err on the side of safety. Id rather tune 10/20 hp out of a motor knowing it aint gonna blow if it has a hiccup. Some of our race engines run over 12.5:1, on 8000 rpm chev engines, a ping would be bad....very bad. Thats why when you are s/charging, or building a high comp eng, you should always take into account fuel availability.

Blownvsute
26-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Yeah Generation Motorsport you're spot on. We've taken 20 hp out of her until we address what we believe is either an exhaust or valve spring issue, so she's running pretty fat right now.

MR_HSV
30-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi i was just wondering, which fuel is everybody using. Ive got a GTO 285 kw, and i seem to get more kms using BP Ultimate. Anyone used Caltex Vortex, even though it has a RON of only 96, just wondering if it makes a huge difference. Thanks
2 be anoust people i own a clubsport vs 5.0L and im just goin wat my books say i use vortex gold runs alot better in preformance plus drinks it kinda quick but i recommend dat it was ping alil then stop after 2 tanks full now its running great :D i used mobil 8000 and 1st tank constely ping none stop so i advice that fuel

vortex gold is great fuel :D

GTO 6L
30-04-2006, 02:48 PM
This University of Sydney report clearly has Caltex Vortex 98 as the best fuel for performance AND economy, see conclusion on page 34. I currently use Caltex Vortex (which is 96 octane) as my GTO runs better on it than Ultimate or Optimax (plus its about 5cpl cheaper!) but have heard Vortex 98 will be available up here in Brisbane within the next few weeks, Ill certainly be giving it a try.

http://www.lotustrophy.com.au/sites/lotuschamp/FileLib/MiddletonReport-TechnicalReportonPowerGeneratingCapabilitiesofComm onFuels.pdf

yunhsv
30-05-2006, 12:22 AM
sorry i don't understand.

I mean I have the HSV the Min req is 95ron. So is that mean it's pointless for me to Fill up 98ron?

What about the 100Ron Shell optimax extream? And also United Boost98?

Davecdp
30-05-2006, 10:48 AM
I just tried Shell Optimax Extreme the other day, it's supposed to be min 100 octane and costs about $1.50/L her in the ACT. I definatley noticed a bit of difference over Vortex 98 that i usually use in my 285 clubby. Did about the same mileage as vortex. On the shell website they say its the offical fuel that they are using for the V8's.