PDA

View Full Version : VS Senator - Self Levelling

Scruba
16-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Hi all. I've searched and turned up nothing even on google.

My self leveling system continuously pumps air into the shocks even though the car is stationary and locked.

What damage can be done by pulling the fuse/s out and driving it around?

I'm not educated on the system.

I plan on ditching the system in a few weeks time.

If this has been covered I apologize.

Cheers,
Scruba

CPC
16-01-2014, 11:31 PM
No damage. Pull the fuse and the pump simply stops. I removed my w**** system from my VR Senator and sold it on eBay for good money. I'm helping a friend restore a VP at the moment and I've just pulled the fuse on his and zip-tied all the lines up out of the way. We replaced the questionable air shocks with something decent.

Chris.

Scruba
16-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Thanks Chris. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Scott

LipSpoiler
17-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Just my 2 cents worth.

I have just been through replacing the system on my VY. The compressor kept pumping until it timed out and I thought that it was the shocks not holding air so I reluctantly paid about 500 for a new pair but it was no better. Took the pump off and did an autopsy to find that you could see daylight between the piston and bore. Spent another 600 on new pump and it is working OK now. Hindsight says just buy a decent pair off good shocks and not the levelling type.
Cheers

Scruba
17-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks LipSpoiler. Good info.
Intention is to replace the shocks and springs so just a temp measure while I work away as I don't want to battery draining.

Senator829
17-01-2014, 06:57 PM
I have the original compressor still bolted on, but the shocks have been long replaced

Scruba
17-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Took her for a spin. Needs the system working to not bottom out on some driveways. Fuses back in until I change out suspension.

LipSpoiler
17-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Took her for a spin. Needs the system working to not bottom out on some driveways. Fuses back in until I change out suspension.

As an option you can still leave the compressor disconnected and run the air lines to a valve. The shocks can inflated permanently by the tyre inflator at the servo.

cdaveyb
17-01-2014, 10:44 PM
As an option you can still leave the compressor disconnected and run the air lines to a valve. The shocks can inflated permanently by the tyre inflator at the servo.

Yep, seen that done before...

surfwagon
19-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Do your self a favour and chuck the w**** self leveling system away or sell it and get some decent shocks and poly airbags if you still need to carry weight and/or negotiate driveways.
The shocks that are inside the bags are total crap and don't work any better than std Holden shockies with air in them.
Thats what I did as soon as I bought my senator, left the HSV luxury springs in place (F&R), fitted poly airbags rear and Koni sports yellow shocks again F&R with bigger stabilizer bars F&R.
Car handles corners well without having a harsh ride and can still carry weight when needed.