PDA

View Full Version : Holden SS-V Redline Ute/Maloo vs FPV GT 335

dex123
14-01-2014, 12:42 AM
Hi,

I am considering buying either of the two listed above, the Redline will cost me $1620 per month based on an average interest rate of 7.5%, whilst the GT based on Ford's latest deal being 2.9% $1700 per month. Because the monthly payments between the two are quite close, this has made the decision process much harder.

The two deals I've been able to obtain are:

2014 Holden Commodore Redline Ute Auto
Red Hot
Walkinshaw 310 pack $3750 (cheaper then the $6000 that many other people have been quoted)
Window Tint
Slimline Hard Cover
$58k Driveaway

Pros:
Stagged tyre setup, 19"x8.5" alloy wheels, 245/40 R19 Tyres (2 Front). 19"x9" alloy wheels, 275/35 R19 (2 Rear).
Latest technology (Head up Display, Park's itself etc)
AFM (some say it's effective others not so much)
Newer Car

Cons:
Not a HSV
Less power than the GT
Less resale value in the future compared to the GT?

2013 FPV GT Auto
120k's on the clock
Swift
Leather Trim and Sat Nav
Fusion Paint and Interior Protection (already were applied to the car)
Window Tint
65k Driveaway with Ford's latest interest deal at 2.9% on 2013 plated fpv's.

Pros:
The iconic GT nameplate
The 5.0 lite supercharged motor
Last GT model
Better resale value than the Redline in the future?

Cons:
6 year dated chassis with minimal changes
Interior is dated
Lacking in latest technology

What would you choose? The Sedan vs Ute argument in regards to seating capacity is irrelevant to me as I was after a Ute initially but Ford's 2.9% finance is quite appealing. I had owned an FG XR6 ute over a year back and whilst it was good, I want to get away from the rear leaf suspension setup. What are people paying for Maloo's & R8's as id consider them for the right money to.

Thanks.

VIP-427
14-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Hi,

I am considering buying either of the two listed above, the Redline will cost me $1620 per month based on an average interest rate of 7.5%, whilst the GT based on Ford's latest deal being 2.9% $1700 per month. Because the monthly payments between the two are quite close, this has made the decision process much harder.

The two deals I've been able to obtain are:

2014 Holden Commodore Redline Ute Auto
Red Hot
Walkinshaw 310 pack $3750 (cheaper then the $6000 that many other people have been quoted)
Window Tint
Slimline Hard Cover
$58k Driveaway

Pros:
Stagged tyre setup, 19"x8.5" alloy wheels, 245/40 R19 Tyres (2 Front). 19"x9" alloy wheels, 275/35 R19 (2 Rear).
Latest technology (Head up Display, Park's itself etc)
AFM (some say it's effective others not so much)
Newer Car

Cons:
Not a HSV
Less power than the GT
Less resale value in the future compared to the GT?

2013 FPV GT Auto
120k's on the clock
Swift
Leather Trim and Sat Nav
Fusion Paint and Interior Protection (already were applied to the car)
Window Tint
65k Driveaway with Ford's latest interest deal at 2.9% on 2013 plated fpv's.

Pros:
The iconic GT nameplate
The 5.0 lite supercharged motor
Last GT model
Better resale value than the Redline in the future?

Cons:
Interior is dated
Lacking in latest technology

What would you choose? The Sedan vs Ute argument in regards to seating capacity is irrelevant to me as I was after a Ute initially but Ford's 2.9% finance is quite appealing. I had owned an FG XR6 ute over a year back and whilst it was good, I want to get away from the rear leaf suspension setup. What are people paying for Maloo's & R8's as id consider them for the right money to.

Thanks.

$1620 a month for a redline ute???? No offence but you need to look at your figures again as there VF GTS payments ballpark. R8 Maloo 340 pack $68k drive away... Payments of around $1150 a month over 5 years with a 25% residual. You need to do some more home work.

HSV-R8-120
14-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Hi Dex123,

As VIP-427 said, check the repayments as they seem very high.

If you look around you will be able to get an R8 325 Sedan for less than 70k driveaway.....

Now as for the 2 cars in question..... Have you driven them both? If not please do and while your at it take a Clubsport for a drive.

Prior to the purchase of my R8 325, I was looking at the SS-V Redline sedan & GT 335. I too wanted to spend between 55 - 65k. I was lucky enough to have a decent drive both the GT and SS-V (Not WP310) and they are very different.

My brief comparo (SS-V vs GT 335 my opinion only):

Power: GT 335 wins hands down against the 270kw SS-V. I have the R8 325 with OTRMAF intake (not tuned but at a guess would be around 345kw) and even then GT 335 pulls harder than the R8. Once rolling that is, the GT 335 struggles to hook up off the line but once going it hammers. Apparently stock GT 335 are pulling 300rwkw against 210rwkw for SS-V's and 250rwkw for R8's.

Noise: GT 335 again. Sounds fantastic when the super charger kicks in.

Interior: SS-V without a doubt, much nicer place to be sitting.

Seats: Similar but I would probably say the SS-V's are slightly better. As for the seating position, the SS-V is much better. You sit lower in the car than the GT.

Ride comfort/Cabin noise: Similar, in fact I cant make a call on this, both comfortable cars to drive.

Technology: No brainer, SS-V.

Exterior Looks: GT 335 looks a lot tougher than the SS-V but does look somewhat dated against the VF model.

Handling/Braking: Once again, I cant really make a call on this as I would be splitting hairs. I think to an average punter both cars will handle more than well enough and go faster that legally allowed. On track it may be a different story but I cant comment on that. I think the SS-V was easier to drive hard and is turns quicker but I had more fun in the GT 335, the power is just fantastic.

Street Cred: GT 335

Fun Factor: GT 335

Now in my opinion I would go the GT 335 over the SS-V redline. Prior to driving them I wanted the SS-V but my opinion changed after a squirt in both. The technology was fantastic in the SS-V but the power in the GT 335 sold me.

I almost purchased a GT 335 but was talked into a drive of an R8 by the dealer and not much after that, I drove away in it. The R8 was everything the SS-V/GT 335 was and more. The R8 almost matched the power of the GT 335 (R8 has a lot more grip of the line), sounded as good as the GT 335, had better brakes than the SS-V/GT, had much better seats than both and in my opinion looked a lot better than both! I got my R8 for under 70k driveway which wasn't much more than the GT.

Good luck!

Nath
14-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Thought about the Maloo non r8 Vs redline - similar price's no?

As others have said, get more finance quotes and see if you qualify for a chattel Mortgage

lmoengnr
14-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Thought about the Maloo non r8 Vs redline - similar price's no?

As others have said, get more finance quotes and see if you qualify for a chattel Mortgage

Good point, as the base model Maloo still gets the LS3, not the AFM L77.

dex123
14-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Sorry my bad, it is meant to be $1275 per month over four years for the GT, the Redline's finance is calculated at 51500 over four years also which equates to around $1240 per month, this is deducting the $6500 cash deposit I would have to put down for the GT, so I'm trying to even it out as best as possible. The reason the GT is up against the Redline is because of the currently offered 2.9% interest rate on the FPV range. I wish I could stretch to around 70k for an R8, but under 60k is most desirable on a 7.5% interest rate. What are people paying for base Maloo's?

HSV-R8-120
15-01-2014, 11:05 PM
Take the GT, SS and Maloo for a drive! You will know once you have driven them all!

Y2Clubby
14-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Cons:

I know this is an old thread, but the current FG II is underpinned by the same platform as the AU was.
It's had some major upgrades, but the AU was, and will be the last "all new" Falcon ever to be built in Australia.
People forget that the AU was criticised for its looks, so Ford couldn't work quickly enough to release the major update that was the BA, which then became the BF, then another major update with the FG. So AU was their last all new car.