PDA

View Full Version : Chevy SS

Sniper
28-08-2013, 09:40 PM
This is a very important car in our lives . . The success of this model in the States and the profit for GM will have a major influence in Holden staying in the production game in Australia . . . so for my many friends at Holden/HSV and related suppliers tomorrow August 29 2013 is a milestone day as the first batch of 1000 Chevys leave Elizabeth for the States

GM have taken a tough stand with their dealers with this car and it appears that that Mark Reuss is determined to make it work . . . Dealers will be allocated cars based on the selling performance of he SS and those that under perform will miss out on other fruit from the GM stable . . dealers are expected to have Demo's on there fleet too . . . so the first 1000 will be on the road quick smart . . .

I expect the SS to have the LT 1 as soon as next September for MY 2015 . . . . interesting times for us guys if this car takes off . . . fingers crossed

Barryjnr
28-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Sniper, do these come with paddles. . I just saw a news article which suggested it does?

richo7502000
29-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Sniper, do these come with paddles. . I just saw a news article which suggested it does?

Yes, they definitely DO get paddles and HID headlights, its also gets the LS3 engine like the HSV's instead of the 6.0litres our SS cars get.

FollowTheSapper
29-08-2013, 01:18 PM
The 2 places I am currently bouncing between for work are literally full of Americans. Yet I am still to find one the has even heard of the Chev SS. Majority know or recognise the Pontiac GTO and G8, but mention Chev SS and most say "You mean Malibu". Not the best sign of things to come!

Sniper
29-08-2013, 05:57 PM
The 2 places I am currently bouncing between for work are literally full of Americans. Yet I am still to find one the has even heard of the Chev SS. Majority know or recognise the Pontiac GTO and G8, but mention Chev SS and most say "You mean Malibu". Not the best sign of things to come!

I've heard hat too . . . But I feel that Reuss will get the marketing right when the time comes . . NASCAR forms the backbone of the Advertising campaign planned !!!

Brett240
30-08-2013, 08:09 AM
the Chevy SS forums make for a good read. their biggest gripe is no manual, i cant blame them.

they get less colour options as well which is a shame

RedHotMike
30-08-2013, 06:03 PM
the Chevy SS forums make for a good read. their biggest gripe is no manual, i cant blame them.

As GM are saying it will be essentially a build to order car both of those omissions just make no sense to me either. In that niche a "stick" would be a no brainer IMO. As for colours - wtf??? If they are making them that colour anyway, why not offer it?

Senator01
30-08-2013, 06:58 PM

Is there a difference in the gearboxes ... left to right hand, or some subframe differences perhaps that don't allow manuals?? Were manuals offered in Pontiac G8s??

RedHotMike
30-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Is there a difference in the gearboxes ... left to right hand, or some subframe differences perhaps that don't allow manuals?? Were manuals offered in Pontiac G8s??

No idea about the first bit but the G8's had a manual option.

Sniper
30-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Auto only will be fine . . . Manuals would only make up 5 - 8% of volume in the states and its simple product grouping . . . and another reason it got paddles . . .

RCBVFGTS
13-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Auto only will be fine . . . Manuals would only make up 5 - 8% of volume in the states and its simple product grouping . . . and another reason it got paddles . . .

This is what amazes me. The car is built here in Australia yet the USA get a little better fruit than we do. I mean if they can offer it for the US market why not here?

Here is another cl***ic example. Emergency services here can only order a standard Commodore, wether it be an SS or Evoke and if it needs they can option it with extra wiring for the highway patrol vehicles. That's about all the options you can have, and gone are the days of the old BT1 pack.

Now in the USA they are selling the Chevrolet Caprice PPV which is built right here in Australia. Basically it's our Statesman, offered with a choice of the 3.6L SIDI DOHC V6 VVT engine or the LS3 6.0L V8, column shift auto in 2014 and on (before it was a special floor mount but moved over to the side and a lot smaller) special designed seats to allow for weapons and everything else on a duty belt (this is a $6000 option here and I'm not sure it still exists either) plus a load of extra great features like a 170amp alternator (I think the biggest here is 120 or possibly 140)
If you ring GM Australia and ask to purchase this vehicle they simply say "for the US market only". Why is this not on offer here to emergency services and even non-emergency services?

Here is a link http://www.gmfleet.com/police/chevy-caprice-ppv-patrol-car.html

LUCFR
13-10-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm hearing you loud and clear mate. For some reason, GMH say there isn't the market in Aust for these special packs. WTF??? They could hae the monopoly on police packs as I'm sure every state would grab them (unless they follow the old "support all manufacturers" BS)

Are these people not seeing an untaped market??

End rant.

RedHotMike
13-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Australian emergency services seem to run a different model of fleet management compared to most of NA. Australia seems to keep most of it's cars for a year or so and then onsell them to the public via the auction system. I presume the bean counters have decided this is the most economical for Australia.

NA seem to buy a police car and then run it for many years virtually till it's driven into the ground and stops, only ready for the scrap heap. The shear volume and fact they don't have a second owner to really consider means they can spec their cars anyway they want it whereas I'd suspect the number of civilians wanting a ppv spec car second hand would be very few and far between.

RCBVFGTS
13-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Australian emergency services seem to run a different model of fleet management compared to most of NA. Australia seems to keep most of it's cars for a year or so and then onsell them to the public via the auction system. I presume the bean counters have decided this is the most economical for Australia.

NA seem to buy a police car and then run it for many years virtually till it's driven into the ground and stops, only ready for the scrap heap. The shear volume and fact they don't have a second owner to really consider means they can spec their cars anyway they want it whereas I'd suspect the number of civilians wanting a ppv spec car second hand would be very few and far between.

Hi Mike

Government fleet services (I speak of NSW here) sell government vehicles when they have either reached 3yrs or 100,000km which ever comes first. This is due purely to warranty/reliability issues as too their finance set ups of 3yrs.

I can certainly see your point in regards to NA emergency services and you have some very valid points.

I look at this situation. My local Police Dog Handler. He's given a Falcon (God that's dirty word) XR6 ute, with a Varley group canopy on the back. Two pop up air vents and that's it for cooling. So now most of the time he has to drive around with his Mal on the front seat with the AC cranked up to keep him cool especially in this weather. Not to mention the fact when he's on his way to very serious crimes it's safer for him to have his Mal ride up front instead of having to get out, open up the top and bottom of the canopy, put the leash on and go from there.

They would give their right arm for a Statesman based sedan, do what they do in NA and replace the rear seat with a full insert cage and "auto pop lock" door remote. It's safer for dog handler, cooler for the dog and the dog works better.

Look at the highway patrol guys. MDT's, ANPR, and numerous other electronic radar and lightbar equipment stacked sky high on the dash. The Statesman being a wider wheel base would be more stable and more room for the m***ive amount of electrical equipment they need these days.

Look what Holden did years ago. They didn't want Commodores used as Taxi's, now sales are down and things are tight they introduce the LPG engine. Shame it took nearly 10ys for them to work this out. Taxi's too if they had the Chevy PPV option here in Australia would buy them.

RedHotMike
13-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi Mike

Government fleet services (I speak of NSW here) sell government vehicles when they have either reached 3yrs or 100,000km which ever comes first. This is due purely to warranty/reliability issues as too their finance set ups of 3yrs.

Sorry - I thought NSW was the same as Vic - certainly down here it's 1 year and (very roughly) 40-50,000 km.

I can certainly see your point in regards to NA emergency services and you have some very valid points.

I look at this situation. My local Police Dog Handler. He's given a Falcon (God that's dirty word) XR6 ute, with a Varley group canopy on the back. Two pop up air vents and that's it for cooling. So now most of the time he has to drive around with his Mal on the front seat with the AC cranked up to keep him cool especially in this weather. Not to mention the fact when he's on his way to very serious crimes it's safer for him to have his Mal ride up front instead of having to get out, open up the top and bottom of the canopy, put the leash on and go from there.

Fair point. I was more referring to general duties which "normal" sedans do just fine and would make up the vast bulk of the fleet.

RCBVFGTS
13-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Sorry - I thought NSW was the same as Vic - certainly down here it's 1 year and (very roughly) 40-50,000 km.

Fair point. I was more referring to general duties which "normal" sedans do just fine and would make up the vast bulk of the fleet.

Believe it or not, in regards to NSW there are more caged trucks i.e. "paddy wagons" and highway patrol cars than general duties sedans.

I think in Vic you have Commodore utes the "ice cream tub" cages on the back?

In NSW they are using both the new Ford Ranger and Toyota Hilux as the general duties/cage trucks. The "Ice cream tubs" are made by Varley Group and I'm sure it's either $21,000 or $28,000 per cage. Then take the price of the 2wd/4wd dual cab ute it goes onto and the price starts to add up. The old Ford Rangers "Ranger Danger" were prohibited from expediting to jobs because they were rolling them over. 4wd utes are not made to do the speeds and driving the Police require them to do.
QLD Police mainly use either Toyota Aurion's or Commodore sedans with the insert in the back for prisoners just like the USA. The vehicle is more suited to high speed driving and road conditions. Only one prisoner can be carried at a time anyway so the sedan makes more sense on a number of bases.

It would be nice if GMA gave the option to the Australian market even just to test but I can't fore see it would be a bad move with many positives outweighing a very small amount of negatives.

RedHotMike
13-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Believe it or not, in regards to NSW there are more caged trucks i.e. "paddy wagons" and highway patrol cars than general duties sedans.

I think in Vic you have Commodore utes the "ice cream tub" cages on the back?

They are the ones although as a proportion of the fleet - not that many of them.

LUCFR
14-10-2013, 08:21 PM
There is now talk down here that the iLoads are going to be the next replacement cages. I wuld have thought a commodore ute with the tub would have worked well. How would the inserts for the Aurion and Commodore go with side curtain bags???

RCBVFGTS
30-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi guys

When I took delivery of my GTS on Thursday I had the dealership save for me all the stickers on the window it was delivered with. One sticker in particular caught my attention. It is white, and has at the top, "US Batch 31" and then in a circle 18, and underneath this it has a small black and white photo of what looks like a VF SS, and then beside that it has the Chevy Bow Tie logo then beside that the SS logo and underneath all that there are 5 circles.
The top row of circles are black with white numbers from 28-32. Then directly underneath those there are 5 white circles with black numbers from 33-37.

To me it appears the Chevy SS exported to North America is built by HSV, possibly even part ***embled. I guess this makes sense considering the SS is fitted with the 6.2ltr V8 which is standard in all HSV's. I wondering as to who fits the paddle shifters as well as the HID headlights?

Is it possible HSV are responsible too for the fitting of the LHD system? I'm wondering this question because as you may remember several years ago now HSV were bringing in the Corvette and converting them to RHD.

Toxo492
30-11-2013, 03:13 PM
RCBVFGTS,
Rob,I suppose the Chev SS has the 325Kw version of the 6.2 litre. With all the extras this car has over a Holden SS and retails in US for $47000-00 odd it sure is a bargin.How is your little boy going,hopefully on the mend. Do the front and rear panels have a good paint match on your GTS?
Bob

Senator01
30-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Chevy SS is 310KW

RedHotMike
30-11-2013, 07:09 PM
The NA SS leaves directly from Adelaide and don't go anywhere near Clayton.

moray066
01-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Chevy SS is 310KW

Would the 310kw be because they run a different tune for their fuel?
In other threads it has been mentioned the fuel in the USA is not as good as ours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Senator01
01-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Would the 310kw be because they run a different tune for their fuel?
In other threads it has been mentioned the fuel in the USA is not as good as ours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Possibly ... Could also be exhaust and intake differences between it and HSV.

grange250
04-12-2013, 10:52 AM
You may find that US cars are tuned for better mileage - cars are required to get a government standard mpg or the manufacturer faces a fine for each vehicle produced. Can't remember all the variables now - I have been back almost ten years. Fuel rating is different to here; they have similar fuel grades but the octane calculation is a little different (start at 87, then 89 and top is 91). Fuel will also vary between summer fuel and winter fuel; winter fuel has more oxygen carried in it - results in lower mpg.

RCBVFGTS
04-12-2013, 07:26 PM
It certainly seems that USA people love the vehicle from first reports so that's a great sign

Here is the sticker I was referring to earlier in case someone knows what it means

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag146/MPGK-9/C5E7A2B4-2CB0-4308-A8E5-1569D7DADEF3_zpse6oqll3v.jpg

Andrew_02
04-12-2013, 10:40 PM
That looks like an update tag or a mod tag for that series.

anyway, today I noticed a new chev ss here in perth anyone know how when where why
I did not see inside wish now I had o,f to check where the steering wheel was!
left that one open.
I recall the chev ss only being auto, saying that I will only buy an auto and have noticed most of the gts for sale
s/hand or new mostly seem to be manuals.
cheers

Audi
04-12-2013, 11:33 PM
anyway, today I noticed a new chev ss here in perth anyone know how when where why

Was that at a dealers on the Great Eastern? Thought I saw on on Monday.

Andrew_02
04-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Cot beach area.
Too many white gts p***ing me when im out on my morning ride must be a good few now in perth. I
noticed a black one last week going into the Claremont car park lady could hardly see over the dash doing
2 km/p/h cheers

edelbrock1
05-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I asked my man on the inside at Holden why there was no Manual trans option on the Chev SS. He was surprised and did not know there was no manual.

We came back to me this morning and told me that the first batch (MY14) of cars are auto only. The next batch (MY15) will have the option of the manual trans.

Seems a bit silly that they would not have this option from the outset.

mickwebs
05-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Here is a review for anyone interested

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-ss-sedan-instrumented-test-review

Audi
05-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Cot beach area.

Ah yeah cool, my haunt. I'm sure you'll see me around. Wildfire E2 GTS, give a wave ;)

RCBVFGTS
05-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Another positive review

http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/news/8766537/first-drive-chevrolet-ss

RCBVFGTS
10-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Guys, does anyone have any contacts to purchase parts through in the USA?

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to purchase the HID headlights for my SSVR, as too the little chrome inserts in the tops of the front seats.

If I was to obtain part numbers would my local Holden parts gent tell me they are for "export sales only"?

Thank you :)

VIP-427
13-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Josh dowling in todays Herald Sun says the chevy ss is the best holden he's ever driven.... & its a kick in the guts that us Austrtalians will never get a chance to experience that. Tis a Shame really that our nanny state laws hinder us from being able to obtain such great home grown cars.

Luminous
14-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Josh dowling in todays Herald Sun says the chevy ss is the best holden he's ever driven.... & its a kick in the guts that us Austrtalians will never get a chance to experience that. Tis a Shame really that our nanny state laws hinder us from being able to obtain such great home grown cars.

Isn't that the journalist who is a bit of a troll? He always seems to say the complete opposite to everything going on, generally to get a reaction from people...?

If it's the same journalist i am thinking of, his articles don't have much weight to them.

There is a video floating around recently of a red GTS being used in a trip from Sydney to Bathurst (somewhat historical documentary) and one of the people in the video is a tourist from the states... He had driven a Chevy SS previously but after driving a Gen F GTS he felt like the yanks were being short-changed.

mickwebs
15-12-2013, 09:15 AM
here is that video

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/holden-vf-forum/6089-ultimate-oz-rocket-2014-hsv-gen-f-gts-attacks-bathurst.html

Sniper
18-01-2014, 07:34 PM
I think we all know that both Holden & HSV shafted us when you look at the Chevy . .

Nicer seats . . HID . . Paddles . . Price . . . Engine (compared to our SS) . . . Std forged wheels . . .

. . . Pricks

Scruba
18-01-2014, 08:16 PM
I think we all know that both Holden & HSV shafted us when you look at the Chevy . .

Nicer seats . . HID . . Paddles . . Price . . . Engine (compared to our SS) . . . Std forged wheels . . .

. . . Pricks

Have to second that

VIP-427
20-01-2014, 07:04 AM
^^^^^ I 3rd that!

HSV-R8-120
20-01-2014, 08:22 AM
4th!!

Nitrate
20-01-2014, 08:25 AM

. . . Pricks
Yep, also we got heated seats rather then ventilated, go figure, in a country as hot as Australia. A better set up would have been to have both IMO.

But, an awesome car never the less, agree these things would have made it the perfect one though :)