PDA

View Full Version : To Buff or Not to Buff???

troydalton
02-06-2004, 07:09 PM
That is the question...

Is it better to use a buff when polishing?

And when removing/buffing the polish, is it better to use a buff or do it by hand?

What kind of polish do you use?

Do you use a paint cleaner or something to prepare the surface before you polish?

GTS215
10-06-2004, 04:26 PM
I always use my hand :roll: , others use a buffer but you have to be really carefull as you can make matters worth. I mainly use a meguiars paint cleaner/polish as my main polish then use a german product called Autoglym which is well worth the money on top of that.

Depenind on your paint work etc, will determine if you need a buffer or not to get the deep swirl marks out if not its all elbow grease.

white_lie
10-06-2004, 06:28 PM
I use Maguiars Professional Series Paint Cleaner and then the Pro Series Glaze. All done by hand. I make too much mess using the electric buffers!

jpsauto
23-06-2004, 03:04 PM
At work we use a product called autoglym radiant wax ....do date itsa the only product that you can actually see the results espically if the car is red or a darker colour..:)

SirHSV
04-07-2004, 04:04 AM
Personally I never attempt to polish the car myself, why because it’s too much work I just let the professionals do it. If you do attempt it yourself make sure you do it out of direct sunlight. If the vehicle hasn’t been polished for years then better get a cut & polish. The cutting will bring out the clear layer again. Doing it by hand will be much easier good luck...

hsvcarstereo
19-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Unless you realy know what you are doing, steer clear of the electic buffs. Start off with washing the car in a cool place. (I do mine at midnight when it is really cool. Keeping it cool is most important) Then use Zymol HD Cleanse to prepare the paintwork and provide a good base to apply the polish. The use Zymol Creme (light colour cars) or Carbon for the darker colored cars. The results are awesome. Make sure you clean and polish in straight line along your car. NEVER polish or wash in a circular motion as this can cause that very annoying swirl pattern that will drive you crazy. Summing up ... keep cool and stay straight :o)

HSV8R8
14-07-2005, 12:04 AM
THERE ARE MANY SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT ON THE WASHING THING, HOW, WHEN, WHICH PRODUCTS ETC ETC.

I HAVE 2 BLACK CARS (R8 AND VX-S), WHICH TAKE A BIT OF WORK, BUT LOOK LIKE A MILLION BUCKS AFTER A GOOD CLEANING SESSION.

THERE ARE DIFFERENT REQUIRMENTS FOR DIFFERENT PAINT CONDITIONS. SO ASSUMING YOU ARE DOING THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME, FOR BEST RESULTS YOU MAY NEED TO TRY THE 11 STEP METHOD, BUT DON'T BE SCARED OFF, THIS IS NOT A WEEKLY PROCESS.

RESEARCH AND EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT ME THE FOLLOWING:

11 STEP - ONCE A YEAR :roll:
1) CAR TO BE COOL AND IN SHADE, THAT WAY SOAP WILL NOT BAKE OR COOK ON THE PAINT AND LEAVE MARKS.
2) RINSE FIRST, THEN RINSE AGAIN TO DISOLVE GRIME AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
3) WASH WITH GOOD QUALITY CAR WASH, 2 BUCKETS. 1 WITH CARWASH SUDS AND 1 WITH FRESH WATER. DIP SPONGE IN SUDS, WASH LIMITED AREA, RINSE SPONGE IN BUCKET WITH FRESH WATER. AND REPEAT PROCESS. DONT WANT TO BE PUTTING THE GRIME YOU HAVE ON THE SPONGE IN THE WASH WATER, THIS IS WHAT CAUSES SWIRL MARKS. NOTE: USE A SEPREATE SPONGE FOR WHEELS AND TYRES AND DO THEM LAST, DON'T WANT TO BE RUBBING WHEEL GRIME OVER YOUR PAINT NEXT TIME YOU WASH.
4) RINSE
5) CLAY BLOCK WITH LUBRICANT TO REMOVE ANY BAKED ON GRIME/OVERSPARAY ETC - WORKS BETTER THAN ANY PAINT CLEANER
6) RINSE
7) WASH AGAIN AS IN 3) - NEVER DUMPING LEFT OVER WATER FROM BUCKETS ONTO CARS - CONTAINS FINE GRAINS OF DIRT THAT CAUSE MARKS REMEBER :(
8) RINSE - IF DONE WITH NO HOSE ATTACHEMT AND WATER IS ALLOWED TO 'SHEET', WILL PULL MOST OF THE WATER OFF THE CAR AND REDUCE CHAMOIS TIME TO 1/4 OF SPRAY RINSE TIME.
9) CHAMOIS WITH GOOD QUALITY LEATHER CHAMOIS, SYNTHETIC UNITS WILL LEAVE MORE STREAK MARKS.
THE PAINT WORK SHOULD NOW FEEL AS SMOOTH AS GLASS. :shock:
10) HAND POLISH WITH GOOD QUALITY POLISH, AND COTTON CLOTH, POOR QUALITY CLOTHS CAN ALSO CAUSE SWIRL MARKS. - ** AT THIS STAGFE THERE ARE PRODUCTS THAT CAN BE APPLIED PRIOR TO POLISH TO REDUCE/HIDE EXISTING SWIRL MARKS - MAGIC STUFF **
11) SEAL WITH A GOOD QUALITY WAX - CANUBRA WAX IS IDEAL

NOW YOU SHOULD HAVE SPENT ABOUT $80-$100 ON PRODUCT AND 4-5 HOURS OF YOUR TIME, AND AS YOU LOOK AT YOUR PRIDE AND JOY, IT HAS ALL BEEN WORTH IT.

YOU SHOULD NOW ONLY NEED TO SPEN 45MIN A WEEK ON
5 STEP
1) CAR TO BE COOL AND IN SHADE, THAT WAY SOAP WILL NOT BAKE OR COOK ON THE PAINT AND LEAVE MARKS.
2) RINSE FIRST, THEN RINSE AGAIN TO DISOLVE GRIME AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
3) WASH WITH GOOD QUALITY CAR WASH, 2 BUCKETS. 1 WITH CARWASH SUDS AND 1 WITH FRESH WATER. DIP SPONGE IN SUDS, WASH LIMITED AREA, RINSE SPONGE IN BUCKET WITH FRESH WATER. AND REPEAT PROCESS. DONT WANT TO BE PUTTING THE GRIME YOU HAVE ON THE SPONGE IN THE WASH WATER, THIS IS WHAT CAUSES SWIRL MARKS. NOTE: USE A SEPREATE SPONGE FOR WHEELS AND TYRES AND DO THEM LAST, DON'T WANT TO BE RUBBING WHEEL GRIME OVER YOUR PAINT NEXT TIME YOU WASH.
4) RINSE - IF DONE WITH NO HOSE ATTACHEMT AND WATER IS ALLOWED TO 'SHEET', WILL PULL MOST OF THE WATER OFF THE CAR AND REDUCE CHAMOIS TIME TO 1/4 OF SPRAY RINSE TIME.
5) CHAMOIS WITH GOOD QUALITY LEATHER CHAMOIS, SYNTHETIC UNITS WILL LEAVE MORE STREAK MARKS.
THE PAINT WORK SHOULD NOW FEEL AS SMOOTH AS GLASS. :shock:

ONCE EVERY 3 - 4 MONTHS YOU MAY CHOOSE TO POLISH, AND REWAX, TO KEEP THE PAINT PROTECTED.

SOME POINTS TO NOTE HERE:
IF YOUR PAINT IS NEW AND ALREADY FEELS LIKE GLASS, WAX ONLY SHOULD DO.
ALWAYS POLISH, WAX BY HAND.
POLISHERS CAN RUN TO FAST/HOT AND BAKE PAINT OR BURN EDGES - TOO RISKY.
ALWAYS ADHEAD TO YOUR LOCAL COUNCIL WATER REGULATIONS
READ THE PRODUCT INSTRUCTION BEFORE USE, AND TEST ON SMALL AREAS FIRST
THESE ARE MY VIEWS ONLY AND HAVE BEEN COMBINED FROM VARIOUS SOURCES, I AM NOT A PROFFESIONAL DETAILER.
I AM HAPPY TO SHARE MY PRODUCT RESEARCH WITH ANY ONE INTERESTED. ARE PRODUCTS, AND NAMES ALLOWED TO BE POSTED? :?:
WHY POLISH AND WAX?
WELL THE POLISH BRINGS THE PAINT TO LIFE, THE WAX SEALS THE POLISHED FINISH FROM THE ELEMENTS AND ADDS DEPTH TO THE PAINT.
TO REMOVE WAX - SIMPLY WASH WITH HOUSHOLD DISHWASHING DETERGENT OR EQUIVELANT WAX REMOVER FROM AUTO STORE

HAPPY WASHING

mrhsv1
09-08-2005, 09:28 PM
If you look after your car you really don't need to resort to a electric grinder/polisher. They are heavy and unforgiving, especially if you do not know how to handle one.

On the other hand however, in the current ever changing climate that seems to get worse as far as pollution is concerned, you might get an acid shower, or a bird thats been eating jalapeno chillies for dinner, and just pooped on your pristine clean man machine.

So i suggest an orbital sander with the polishing attachment, does wonders with the right polish. I recommend Farecla Extra Fine compound, and finish off with a good quality polish.
The good thing is it's so forgiving, and you will never do any damage to your car.