PDA

View Full Version : Which One Would You Buy ... and Why?

Senator01
12-08-2013, 04:04 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Coupe-2006/SSE-AD-2211367/?Cr=12&sdmvc=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Coupe-2004/SSE-AD-707487/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1

Have made enquiries on both ... but am interested in which way Forum members would go .. Coupe 4 or LE GTO .. and reason behind their decision?

vz hsv
12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
the coupe 4 all the way. all wheel drive .....need i say more??

vxcruzr
12-08-2013, 04:35 PM
coupe 4 for sure. It looks so much tougher than the LE...also, but this is just my preference, as soon as I see a car other than an old school one with race stripes on it, it's a no deal from me.....

SoulJet
12-08-2013, 05:52 PM
As much as I like the LE, I'd go the Coupe 4 in a heartbeat. Awd coupe with unique bodywork plus its rarity. Love it.

mickwebs
12-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Coupe 4 but the LE is very nice.

gto461
12-08-2013, 05:59 PM
coupe 4...4 sure

Strick
12-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Im a bit different, however the Coupe 4 will be collectable in the future.

The LE for me however id go for a red one but thats just me!! last monaro, has the fantastic LS2, full history and everything it came with when new. Lower KMS, manual, no mods.

But the big thing, receipts, history and all the extras that usually get lost, sold etc etc (being the briefcase, brochures, manuals etc)

benyoman_27
12-08-2013, 06:40 PM
ill say the LE, just being 2 wheel drive you can still have fun, but in saying that coupe 4 is rare. The LE

Senator01
12-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Im a bit different, however the Coupe 4 will be collectable in the future.

The LE for me however id go for a red one but thats just me!! last monaro, has the fantastic LS2, full history and everything it came with when new. Lower KMS, manual, no mods.

But the big thing, receipts, history and all the extras that usually get lost, sold etc etc (being the briefcase, brochures, manuals etc)

Its all there with the LE, it has all the gear as was delivered when new. The Coupe 4 has aftermarket rims but has the originals as well. Also has has suspension modded.

T'is a hard choice. Heart says Coupe 4 .. head says LE.

Vector
12-08-2013, 09:13 PM
You'll get no end of votes for the Coupe 4.

I respect them and what they represent and no doubt they'll have appeal for many years to come.

But I loved the black LE when it came out and still do.

With regard to these particular cars, this LE has less than half the kms of the Coupe 4, its manual (all coupe 4's are auto) and has a great coloured interior (this Coupe 4 says it is black).

I'd prefer to own the LE but the Coupe 4 may be the better investment. Having said that the LE is a little rarer (100 LE's vs 132 Coupe 4's) there were 62 Black Coupe 4s vs 50 black LE's.

As I've never bought a car with the idea of it being an "investment" I would buy the one I liked more, so it would easily be the LE for me.

VIP-427
12-08-2013, 09:54 PM
If you can hold out for a very low K Coupe 4 go the coupe for.... Even more so if your not big on modifying it.... This was the main reason that I didn't buy one from new myself as at the time.... It was limited of what one could do to them... So I ended up buying a maloo R8 with the LS2 & cammed, charged & a w**** host of goodies... In hindsight I should've stuck with the coupe 4 as I do regret not buying it.... In 2006 I bought a red/white LEGTO & did a few things to that & that was an absolute dream ride... But it irked me that it was red as I wanted the black & there was none left.... I reckon that if i had got the black one... I'd no doubt still have that car. I sold the red one with about 6,000k on it with coil over suspension, full CSV exhaust, Coupe4 wheels, tuned & all that other stuff... & think I sold it for $60k.... Beautiful car though.

rodders188
13-08-2013, 01:12 AM
The LE GTO its a LS2, 2006 , looks tougher all round in my opinion.

FollowTheSapper
13-08-2013, 02:54 AM
If you could get the coupe4 in manual I would get one. In saying that I have been looking at the GTOLE's now for about 8 months. When I return to OZ it was going to be between a GTOLE or E3 R8, Unfortunately GTO price keeps going up and the R8's are coming down. So it looks as though the R8 will be the winner.

Sniper
13-08-2013, 08:31 AM
There may be a "virgin" black Coupe4 from Canberra coming on the market soon

Pickles
13-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Of those two "particular" cars, I'd favour the LE.....too many Ks on the Coupe 4 (for me anyway), & it's been lowered.
In addition, there were only 50 of those black LEs & taking into account some of them were autos, it makes this car quite rare...and good value I reckon.
However, as Lincoln has said, if it were a LOW K Coupe 4, even the same as the LE (but preferably lower), then that would be a different matter.
Cheers, Pickles.

R34
13-08-2013, 03:55 PM
I'd wait for the Coupe 4 Sniper mentioned
If not get the other Coupe 4

Janz
13-08-2013, 08:03 PM
If you were buying to collect: Coupe4
If you were buying to drive: GTO LE

Senator01
13-08-2013, 08:40 PM
If you were buying to collect: Coupe4
If you were buying to drive: GTO LE
So both then ... I wish!!

edelbrock1
14-08-2013, 07:43 AM
I may be a little biased. But it would be the Coupe4 any day of the week for me. Unique body kit, unique driveline and just looks tough as hell. The platform will handle like nothing else you have ever driven.

The coupe4 is a reasonable price, but is back on the market after being taken off about 6 months ago. (I keep a register of all Coupe4's and when they come up for sale. Recording build numbers etc.) So I am guessing that a genuine offer in the mid to high $40's would have your bum in this car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Coupe-2005/SSE-AD-893074/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1 Although this car is way over priced, it has been for sale now for nearly 12 months. It is actually the last ever Coupe4 made, so that in itself makes it a bit special. Some spirited negotiating should have the price back to a more respectable level if he really wants to sell it.

Do low K's really matter if your going to drive it? Not that you could call that Coupe4 high K's, it is nudging 9 years old and had done 70k's. Around 7 a year.

It is a buyers market, so hold out for the car that YOU want, then negotiate like crazy.

Senator01
14-08-2013, 08:57 AM
I may be a little biased. But it would be the Coupe4 any day of the week for me. Unique body kit, unique driveline and just looks tough as hell. The platform will handle like nothing else you have ever driven.

The coupe4 is a reasonable price, but is back on the market after being taken off about 6 months ago. (I keep a register of all Coupe4's and when they come up for sale. Recording build numbers etc.) So I am guessing that a genuine offer in the mid to high $40's would have your bum in this car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Coupe-2005/SSE-AD-893074/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1 Although this car is way over priced, it has been for sale now for nearly 12 months. It is actually the last ever Coupe4 made, so that in itself makes it a bit special. Some spirited negotiating should have the price back to a more respectable level if he really wants to sell it.

Do low K's really matter if your going to drive it? Not that you could call that Coupe4 high K's, it is nudging 9 years old and had done 70k's. Around 7 a year.

It is a buyers market, so hold out for the car that YOU want, then negotiate like crazy.

Thanks, the owner (Craig) is sending me some more data this week. If it's all I expect then my intent was to start at the mid 40's. Am also waiting for Sniper to provide some detail of the Canberra car he alluded to in an earlier post.

JWM
17-08-2013, 07:35 PM
I'd say this is the car Sniper was referring to - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Coupe-2004/SSE-AD-2295006

He wasn't joking about the condition! From the description and photos, sounds absolutely perfect!!

It's up there in price like the other one mentioned a few posts up, but has much lower K's. So few of them sold I'd imagine it's quite hard to say what they're worth?

Sniper
17-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Nice thing .. . . You'll buy it for less than $80k . . . .

Senator01
17-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Nice thing .. . . You'll buy it for less than $80k . . . .

Best of luck. Spoke with the owner yesterday before it went on the Web ... nice guy but I got the impression he was pretty set on pricing. No doubt though will be a nice pickup for someone.

Sniper
17-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Best of luck. Spoke with the owner yesterday before it went on the Web ... nice guy but I got the impression he was pretty set on pricing. No doubt though will be a nice pickup for someone.

Be patient . . . .

edelbrock1
18-08-2013, 10:11 AM
I'd say this is the car Sniper was referring to - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Special-Vehicles-Coupe-2004/SSE-AD-2295006

He wasn't joking about the condition! From the description and photos, sounds absolutely perfect!!

Not a bad rig that one. It is one of the early cars that they only made 32 of. By that I mean that the Binnacle gauges and engine covers are the VY style. This one has Sunroof and tyre pressure monitor from factory. Both very rare options for these cars. Really nice combination too with the Black and Ochre trim. If your keen to know, I will dig out my records and give you the break down of how many where made with this combination.
Oh and forgot to add that it is the tenth car built and is build # 18.

Senator01
18-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Went to Sydney and drove the GTO LE. Not what I expected. Clean car for sure but had some driveline shudder and a few noises here and there. For a lowish km car was not overly impressed.

Heading toward the Coupe 4 ... waiting for some more pics and start negs.

Sniper
18-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Heading toward the Coupe 4 ... waiting for some more pics and start negs.

If your looking at the C4 as a toy to keep/collect alongside of something else as a daily . . . go look at the Canberra car . . . I get the feeling that if its still on the market in 2 weeks . . . 70k would be the money!!!!!

grange250
18-08-2013, 02:13 PM
If the Canberra car, as a 2004 still has "original" parts (including tyres), many will have to be replaced because of time. Regardless of distance driven, every mechanical bit also has a natural shelf life. Wear and Natural Ageing have to be considered.
Even if kept under perfect controlled conditions, some parts will need replacing over time.

It is a lovely looking vehicle.

Senator01
18-08-2013, 03:43 PM
If your looking at the C4 as a toy to keep/collect alongside of something else as a daily . . . go look at the Canberra car . . . I get the feeling that if its still on the market in 2 weeks . . . 70k would be the money!!!!!

Graeme, I know what you are saying .. thanks. I wish money could grow on trees but it doesn't.

I would love to be able to put another car in the shed again ... but I am at a stage now where I would rather drive it and enjoy the experience than grow old watching dust settle.

The Caloundra C4 does have reasonable K's, modded suspension and aftermarket rims. No matter.... the mods can be undone (if need be) and the original rims returned. At best it is at a price range I can manage (Europe trip next year and house upgrades in motion). At worst I will be 1 of only 136 people that own a Coupe 4.

But ... if you are happy to contribute then I am sure the Canberra car is a good alternative ...;)

Sniper
18-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Offer him 69k (if that in your budget) in a week and see what happens

edelbrock1
18-08-2013, 05:24 PM
. At worst I will be 1 of only 136 people that own a Coupe 4.

Only 132 built and 2 that I know of that have been written off.

rodders188
18-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Only 132 built and 2 that I know of that have been written off.

And because its one of 132 its ....... ?

VIP-427
18-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I'd be taking $65,000 in cash, going to see the car, say "I'll take it, here's 65 large..... See what happens.... My bet would be that I'm driving back to Melbourne in a spankin C4 ;)

Senator01
18-08-2013, 09:27 PM
And because its one of 132 its ....... ?

UNIQUE .... period

Senator01
23-08-2013, 08:56 AM
So last weekend I drove the GTO LE and it was on the market for $49K, I noticed today the same car is now on the market for $59K. What is with that?? I know, i can't sell it cheap so I will ask more for it and see what happens??

d488y2
23-08-2013, 09:12 AM
The owner maybe thinking "Hmm I have some interest in the car, maybe I can get more for it?"
If your interested in it give him a low ball offer at 39k.

Senator01
23-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Had a reply from the LE owner ... said he raised the price because he had too much enquiry?? WTF .. Isn't that what you want when selling? So he raises the price by $10K. I am thinking he doesn't want to sell at all.

gto461
23-08-2013, 03:33 PM
he should have put that price on in the first place, false advertising, he sounds like a time waster mate, and for me i wouldnt buy it from him just for that reason

Senator01
23-08-2013, 03:43 PM
he should have put that price on in the first place, false advertising, he sounds like a time waster mate, and for me i wouldnt buy it from him just for that reason

Agree. No intention to purchase. After the drive I just wasn't sure. It didn't feel right for the lowish K's. Driveline shudder and various noises didn't quite seem right. Clean car don't get me wrong, just not as tight as I would have expected?

Maybe I am just too picky ..

Sniper
23-08-2013, 03:52 PM
A Coupe will never feel as good as your E3 . . . it's based on 1994 Enginneering and the basic tech was released as a VT in 1996

. . . you will have to shop with a different mindset . . just opening he door will feel like its taking you back 20 years . . .

gto461
23-08-2013, 08:40 PM
took me 7 months to find my coupe and very glad i waited, tho that said i wonder how many coupe owners out there now are sayin to themselves "i am keeping this one", and if they are, is that the reason that there is not many for sale (this minute only 78 for sale in australia on car sales dot com) and when you narrow that down to your preferences ie transmission, colour etc then you havent got many to choose from...
so i reckon wait and pay good coin if you want a schmick original one OR buy a cheaper one and mod it to something as good as your E3, engine wise
there is something special about cruising in a 2 door or is it just me

Senator01
23-08-2013, 08:52 PM
took me 7 months to find my coupe and very glad i waited, tho that said i wonder how many coupe owners out there now are sayin to themselves "i am keeping this one", and if they are, is that the reason that there is not many for sale (this minute only 78 for sale in australia on car sales dot com) and when you narrow that down to your preferences ie transmission, colour etc then you havent got many to choose from...
so i reckon wait and pay good coin if you want a schmick original one OR buy a cheaper one and mod it to something as good as your E3, engine wise
there is something special about cruising in a 2 door or is it just me

Thanks for the advice. I am sure I am not alone in having high expectations of a low km car regardless of age. It should still have a relative level of taughtness and quality. Yes, nowhere near late model cars in terms of fit and function, but nonetheless should still be a good car cosmetically and mechanically. The LE had one but in my mind not the other. My idea of immaculate must be so much different to others ???

Yep .. I am sure driving a coupe has a altogether different feel to any other car. Something that I hope in my lifetime I get to experience.

For my next venture into HSV .. 'patience' ... as someone recently told me.

Sniper
23-08-2013, 09:30 PM
For my next venture into HSV .. 'patience' ... as someone recently told me.

ROFLMAO . . . . I digress . . . Had a bit of a look on carsales tonight and noticed a Coupe Signature . . . I thought this model was well spec'd with the 6 spot AP's etc . . .

gto461
24-08-2013, 08:22 AM
and a great set of wheels
i particularly like the red body and blacked out front bar colour scheme, looks tough as

bosscocky
24-08-2013, 09:17 AM
A Coupe will never feel as good as your E3 . . . it's based on 1994 Enginneering and the basic tech was released as a VT in 1996

. . . you will have to shop with a different mindset . . just opening he door will feel like its taking you back 20 years . . .

Totally agree...BUT...it's a 2 door Holden Monaro with instant reconition on the street and until Holden come up with another 2 door Monaro [ v8 ] i'm happy driving mine, old tech. and all. :)

bosscocky
24-08-2013, 09:22 AM
By the way, I don't think Holden will have another Monaro as we have come to love, unless it's a rebadged Chev from good old US of A. No, I think we have seen the last of the real Aussie Munro.

Sniper
24-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Totally agree...BUT...it's a 2 door Holden Monaro with instant reconition on the street and until Holden come up with another 2 door Monaro [ v8 ] i'm happy driving mine, old tech. and all. :)

Your 100% correct . . . It's the Tech I was referring too . . . I am of the belief that the Coupe4, Coupe GTS or a Coupe Signatue would quite "possibly" be the most sought after HSV's of all in 10 years from now . . .

I also think that "personal vehicles" . . . read 2 door Coupe's will ultimately equal or surp*** 4 door "Sedans" in popularity in years to come

gto461
24-08-2013, 01:04 PM
^^^ i agree with them being the most sought after, they are a timeless piece of aussie motoring history, everyone knows what a monaro looks like, even ford diehards, 4 door sedans will come and go, but the coupes will def be worth the most of any pre 2006 models of any variant ie sedan, ute etc in the future.
I love seeing people on the street staring at or turning and checking out monaros, gto's, gts's etc as they drive by or are parked....you just dont see people taking as much of an interest in 4 door sedans (tho i am sure the VF GTS will be a headturner more so for the engine sound i expect)
IMO coupes are the ***iest car ever made by Holden/HSV and i am never selling mine....EVER !!!! (me little nephew wants it already, when I'm 6ft under)

Angeldust
24-08-2013, 02:10 PM
ahh.. the resale value of the coupes has been excellent. So good in fact i just couldn't
justify spending the extra over a sedan, even though i already paid extra for my current
vz clubbie..lol would have needed a double extra spend..25K for a VZ clubbie or 50K for
a VZ coupe...hmmm

bosscocky
24-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Your 100% correct . . . It's the Tech I was referring too . . . I am of the belief that the Coupe4, Coupe GTS or a Coupe Signatue would quite "possibly" be the most sought after HSV's of all in 10 years from now . . .

I also think that "personal vehicles" . . . read 2 door Coupe's will ultimately equal or surp*** 4 door "Sedans" in popularity in years to come

What about a GTO that was a Police car ? 4808

gto461
24-08-2013, 06:24 PM
i think that got written off from memory !!!

Strick
24-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Nope, he owns it haha

gto461
24-08-2013, 10:20 PM
just read his my ride thread, cl***ic spending the kids inheritance, good job :)

Senator01
24-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Like any ex cop car ... worthless ...:p

Senator01
30-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Watch this space ... :)

JWM
30-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Sounds promising!

FollowTheSapper
11-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Have made enquiries on both ... but am interested in which way Forum members would go .. Coupe 4 or LE GTO .. and reason behind their decision?

Sorry about the hijack Senator01 but I have the same question but different cars so why start a new thread. Hope you don't mind.

So will hopefully be back in Aus within the next month and am currently looking at an E3 GTS or E3 Black Edition

Hopefully the car will be a long term investment (have said that about previous 2 clubsports) so need some advice. I like the Black Edition due to its low production numbers but is it just another clubsport? And the GTS has prestige, all the gadgets including 6 pots and extra power but it's not very unique.

Both cars are roughly the same price ($55,000 mark) Black Edition has less Kms. The car will be a Weekend car and it may see the odd track day with HSVOC (have been saying that for the last 6yrs).

All opinions and questions welcome!

gto461
11-09-2013, 05:05 PM
^^^^^^ ummm totally different cars, actually different everything, so yeah start a new thread doofus, would have thought that was obvious

FollowTheSapper
11-09-2013, 05:40 PM
^^^^^^ ummm totally different cars, actually different everything, so yeah start a new thread doofus, would have thought that was obvious

Yes totally different cars which I pointed out myself.
And how is asking the same question 'different everything'.
So why start a new thread "which one would you buy" if there is already one.
Doofus? seriously... time to step out of the 80's my friend.

Strick
11-09-2013, 05:45 PM
haha thats rad!!

I like the look of the black series, however if your going to be doing track work i would go with the one with the better brakes/engine/suspension (GTS as the black series is an R8?). Unless there isnt much difference then go the one you like the look of most, or is you plan to do mods anyway.

FollowTheSapper
11-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks Strict.

Sorry again Senator01 for the Hijack.

New thread - Which One Would You Buy in "Thinking of Buying an HSV"

Oh and Senator01, you didn't happen to buy that VZ LE did you. It seems to have disappeared of CARSALES.

moray066
11-09-2013, 06:04 PM
You should also consider replacement parts, the GTS has the big brake upgrade but that means more $$$$ and also less pad options when it comes time to replace.
My pick... Well I'm going to be diplomatic here, I'd look at and drive both, I'd then buy the one that put the biggest smile on my face :)
They are both great cars, but I don't think either will be a great investment, unless your investing in a constant smile! Lol
Which is what you'll be doing once you get it.

Senator01
11-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks Strict.

Sorry again Senator01 for the Hijack.

New thread - Which One Would You Buy in "Thinking of Buying an HSV"

Oh and Senator01, you didn't happen to buy that VZ LE did you. It seems to have disappeared of CARSALES.

No issues SAPPER. You know you could always buy the GTS and throw some Vector vents on it, Matt Black some areas and there you go. A black edition GTS?

And nope ... didn't buy either. Almost got the Coupe 4 but have other alternatives brewing ...

FollowTheSapper
12-09-2013, 04:30 AM
And nope ... didn't buy either. Almost got the Coupe 4 but have other alternatives brewing ...

Waiting with anticipation!