PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your wheels clean?

cdaveyb
07-06-2013, 03:09 PM
I realise that this question may have already been discussed and if someone can point me to that thread then , thanks. If not I will ask the question anyway.
How does everyone deal with brake dust and keeping their wheels clean?

white_lie
07-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Best solution for brake dust is not using OEM pads. Most aftermarket pads will produce a lot less dust.

But otherwise, I use a non acidic wheel cleaner and a good brush. Allow to soak for a minute or two and high pressure rinse off. Short of changing pads, perhaps look in to a wheel sealant in the short term, should stop the dust from baking on and make removal a lot easier.

cdaveyb
07-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks, Is there any products that you would recommend for this purpose?

white_lie
07-06-2013, 04:40 PM
I use Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner and a Vikan brush. I've never bothered with a sealant but have heard good things about the Nanolex and Wolf's Chemicals ones.

You can get them from carcareproducts.com.au
I get all my gear from them.

hotrodtwo
07-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Is there any products that you would recommend for this purpose?
I have been told Bowdens is good stuff.

vz hsv
07-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I have been told Bowdens is good stuff.

i use waxit's ironex.awesome stuff.safe to use on ur whole car too.it works by removing the iron particles to the surface of ur paint.that way when u clay bar- u actually remove them from the car altogether.

www.waxit.com.au

cheers.

voodoo_sv6
07-06-2013, 07:21 PM
I use Armour All Heavy duty wash on the wheels only using a soft sponge (not a harsh cheapy). wash it off quickly and it does a great job, but I wash my wheels weekly, including the inner face.

A detailer told me to try Mr Sheen on the gloss black after it's washed and dried. Claims the anti static ingredient will reduce the fallout on the wheels

I put it on two of the four wheels last weekend to compare and there is a little difference, but not huge.

Jetterberg
07-06-2013, 07:36 PM
I wax my wheels every few months easier to keep clean......

cdaveyb
07-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I wax my wheels every few months easier to keep clean......
What do you wax it with? Is it a special wheel wax or normal wax used on the rest of the car?

Andrew_02
07-06-2013, 08:29 PM
i remove the wheels, a one off and use a metal polish to get the grease film off the hubs/stud area.
I can just push a bug cleaner sponge behind the brakes, looks good. and two cars have needed a wire
brush and a very small amount of bearing grease to clean up rust once I get the rims off, would not want
to be removing these wheels on the side of the road for the first time they are almost rusted on (new cars)
I did try a spray on foam but did not like the sound of heaps of water after 30 seconds, I think you would
end up with no paint on your brakes etc. cheers

Jetterberg
07-06-2013, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=cdaveyb;106867]What do you wax it with? Is it a special wheel wax or normal wax used on the rest of the car?[/

Just a normal car wax,i have been using a 3M wax, does the job for me

Stewiecasserole
07-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I have found this stuff fantastic....http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/autoglym/alloy_wheel_seal
I'm sure there are similar sealants out there.....just makes the brake dust fall off for a could of weeks.

07GTS
08-06-2013, 12:52 AM
im so getting new pads when i have the spare coin these standard ones suck never had a car with brake dust this bad...

cdaveyb
08-06-2013, 02:13 PM
I have purchased Armor All Wheel Protectant from Supercheap and will be putting that on tomorrow. I will let everyone know how is goes over the next couple of weeks.

richo7502000
08-06-2013, 08:50 PM
A detailer told me to try Mr Sheen on the gloss black after it's washed and dried. Claims the anti static ingredient will reduce the fallout on the wheels.

+1 for Mr Sheen it kicks butt I reckon.... also you can use it to actually clean the wheel too, not just for eliminating fall out.
But I do find it resists much dust build up and any that does hoses off easy unless you really leave it weeks.

cdaveyb
29-06-2013, 09:36 PM
+1 for Mr Sheen it kicks butt I reckon.... also you can use it to actually clean the wheel too, not just for eliminating fall out.
But I do find it resists much dust build up and any that does hoses off easy unless you really leave it weeks.

I have heard about using Mr Sheen before but thought that it was a joke. I might give it a go....
I have been using the Armor All product now for a few weeks and have to say that it is not bad. It doesn't stop the build up of brake dust but it certainly does reduce it.

HSV085
30-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Just bought this stuff from ccp - http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/einszett_1z/colourtec_wheel_cleaner best wheel cleaner ive used by far, just spray on wheels let sit for 5mins than spray off with high pressure hose with no agitation req and its prefectly safe on all wheels.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sniper
30-06-2013, 11:48 AM
I like my wheels absolutely perfect with every crevice clean and the only thing that seems to achieve this is morning fresh dish washing liquid in conjuction with elbow grease!!

VYSHSV8
01-07-2013, 01:00 AM
I like my wheels absolutely perfect with every crevice clean and the only thing that seems to achieve this is morning fresh dish washing liquid in conjuction with elbow grease!!

Lemon scented :)

Sent from the middle of Farkin no-where from drivers seat of a road train

Sniper
01-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Lemon scented :)

Sent from the middle of Farkin no-where from drivers seat of a road train

Lol . . . "Lemon" scented is for Ford wheels silly . . . .

GenF-GTS
16-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Have not tried this myself but it looks alright...might be worth a try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK2LsZJ2brg

Surfnturf
17-06-2014, 05:49 AM
Probably owns the company...........

GenF-GTS
22-06-2014, 10:02 PM
I got some of this today from super cheap will see if it works or not.

voodoo_sv6
29-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Any update?

GenF-GTS
29-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Any update?

Too busy this weekend to get the car out for a wash....im keen to do it so maybe next weekend if the weather is good, I'm planning on taking the wheels off cleaning them really well and applying it then.

After that i guess it will take a week or so to see if it works with a bit of driving around.

voodoo_sv6
29-06-2014, 09:41 PM

white dragon
01-07-2014, 07:44 AM
I had trouble with brake diust with my OEM pads. Got EBC red stuff. Now only a normal wash which i do weeks is all that is needed. Daily drive N/west - bankstown approx 500km's/week. reduced it by 90% and a better pad.

Cheers John

genfr8
01-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Found the best way to keep them clean. I just don't drive it.
I am keen to get better pads. I have a 2009 Lancer and the oem pads just don't make any dust. Now I really want a set of those.

VFR8
01-07-2014, 11:33 PM
LOL :thumbup:

Pickles
02-07-2014, 09:29 AM
I've NEVER used a wheel cleaner on any of our "good" cars, but I do like to keep the wheels, inner & outer, plus brake calipers, clean.
Up until we sold our VN Group A, (about 9 yrs ago), I used to take the wheels off. Too old & too lazy to do that now.
So, I wash the rest of the car first, then I do the wheels. I blast off all of the grime on the wheels, brakes etc, with a karcher (no detergent, just plain cold water), then using what's left in my bucket of car wash, I use a Daytona Wheel Brush to clean the inner rims. Then I loosen off all the dust etc on the calipers, & clean the outer rim with a bit of cloth, then blast off clean again with the Karcher, & chamois all water marks etc off. My wheels & brakes always look OK,...and when you've got good brakes it really shows them off.
And, ya'll NEVER guess one of the "benefits" of this?......Well Wifey is now cleaning the wheels of her Audi S3 the same way,...and she's doing a ripper job,...all I have to do is watch!
Pickles.

voodoo_sv6
03-07-2014, 09:12 AM
I agree with you Pickles and my wheels are always pristine every weekend after the car is washed. The SV forged alloys "just" allow my hand through them to wash them right through to the rear side of the rim.

The problem is the dust 50kms later of the gloss black painted finish and I average 500kms a week to various parts of Sydney often in peak hour stop start.

The look matte grey by the weekend.

I'm hoping to find something that will just stop the dust sticking in the first place

Nitrate
03-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Wheel Woolies are the go.....

http://www.adamspolishes.net.au/wheel,-tire--trim-care-c7/adams-wheel-woolies-wheel-cleaning-tools-p60/

Also a good brush for your Lug Nuts.....

http://www.adamspolishes.net.au/wheel,-tire--trim-care-c7/adams-trim--lug-nut-brush-p117/

For cleaners there are heaps out there, I choose to use Adams its friggin awesome IMO :)

http://www.adamspolishes.net.au/wheel,-tire--trim-care-c7/adams-deep-wheel-cleaner-16-oz-p184/

Mad Walkinshaw
13-07-2014, 08:31 PM
I agree with you Pickles and my wheels are always pristine every weekend after the car is washed. The SV forged alloys "just" allow my hand through them to wash them right through to the rear side of the rim.

The problem is the dust 50kms later of the gloss black painted finish and I average 500kms a week to various parts of Sydney often in peak hour stop start.

The look matte grey by the weekend.

I'm hoping to find something that will just stop the dust sticking in the first place

Wax them and you'll find not as much brake dust will build up and what does just hoses off

voodoo_sv6
13-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Tried that with a few different waxes and sealants. never found them worth the effort. Maybe I'm just OCD about my wheels

Mad Walkinshaw
21-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Tried that with a few different waxes and sealants. never found them worth the effort. Maybe I'm just OCD about my wheels

Voodoo, your wheels are painted so you can look after them exactly the way you look after the exterior paint. Take your wheels off the car and clean them VERY well using Swissvax Wheel. I then go down the whole process of clay barring them then paint clean Swisswax Regular Cleaner Fluid, polish with Menzerna Super Finish and then hand apply either Swissvax Autobahn Wheel Wax OR (preferable) Swissvax Concorso. Over the next 4 days I put additional coats of wax each day so there are 5 in total. They end up absolutely rock hard and all it takes to clean them is a blast with the Snow Foam wand on the pressure washer filled with Swissvax Car Bath. I do this twice a year and my wheels stay much cleaner and require little work to keep them that way.http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag292/nml2009/M3CSLWheel_zps2e678364.jpg (http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/nml2009/media/M3CSLWheel_zps2e678364.jpg.html)
These are the wheels on my CSL after 2 weeks of driving including a trip to Geraldton. All that was needed to clean them was a blast with the pressure washer and I didn't need to dry them as the water just rolls off.

voodoo_sv6
21-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Impressive results Mad W. I just don't have the drive to take 5 days every 6 months to get those sorts of results. I used to spend that sort of time with my magnificent black Subaru some years ago.

Guess I was hoping for some sort of "magic spray" that would keep the wheels clean to start with. I will just keep doing what I am doing. They do look fantastic every week when I clean them, its what happens a few days later that bothers me. I'm not inclined to pull the pressure washer and snow lance out more than once a week any more.

Thanks for the guide. If I get the urge to spend that sort of time on the car again on that regular basis, I will try what you've suggested

Mad Walkinshaw
21-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Impressive results Mad W. I just don't have the drive to take 5 days every 6 months to get those sorts of results. I used to spend that sort of time with my magnificent black Subaru some years ago.

Guess I was hoping for some sort of "magic spray" that would keep the wheels clean to start with. I will just keep doing what I am doing. They do look fantastic every week when I clean them, its what happens a few days later that bothers me. I'm not inclined to pull the pressure washer and snow lance out more than once a week any more.

Thanks for the guide. If I get the urge to spend that sort of time on the car again on that regular basis, I will try what you've suggested

Voodoo, it takes me 4hrs the first day and then no more than 20 mins the following 4 days. I normally do it when I give the car a full strip down and detail every 6 months. I'm only washing my car once a week these days also but I've found that since I have been prepping it the right way and using quality products it doesn't need any more cleaning than once a week. I've found that using 4 coats of wax over the entire car rain and standing water just sheet off it and the road grime doesn't stick. I clock up at least 1500km's a week across the 3 cars plus we put another 200 or so on the wife's car and I spend a maximum of 90 min on a Saturday with the pressure washer, snow lance and drying towels keeping them clean. In summer here in WA I can usually just spot clean with the waterless detailer and wash them properly once a month. I was fortunate when I lived in Melbourne to learn from a mate of mine who details Rolls Royce and Aston's for a living how to detail properly twice a year and then spend an hour or so a week just maintaining.

I guess it's each to their own though, I probably spend more time detailing my track car which is only used 3 or 4 times a year these days than my daily drives.

The SV rims do look amazing and I understand how frustrating it is when they don't look their best 100% of the time. If you do find that magic spray please let us all know.

rodders188
21-07-2014, 09:42 PM
my wheels look better dirty, so im not bothered with wasting coin on wheel cleaners

Mad Walkinshaw
21-07-2014, 10:51 PM
my wheels look better dirty, so im not bothered with wasting coin on wheel cleaners

LOL! Each to their own hey Rod

voodoo_sv6
22-07-2014, 07:25 AM
I've been known to spend 4 days detailing the Subaru between the ROS, Dodo Juice wax hand applied to about 8 layers and the underneath of the car after climbing under it whilst its on stands.

These days, I find spending 2hours every three months including clay bar, is enough to make the paint pop and get the looks. The 30 minutes a week hand washing the wheels, tyres and wheel arches will do me just fine.

Thanks again and I will let you know when I get the copyright finished on the magic spray :-)

rodders188
22-07-2014, 09:55 PM
I've been known to spend 4 days detailing the Subaru between the ROS, Dodo Juice wax hand applied to about 8 layers and the underneath of the car after climbing under it whilst its on stands.

These days, I find spending 2hours every three months including clay bar, is enough to make the paint pop and get the looks. The 30 minutes a week hand washing the wheels, tyres and wheel arches will do me just fine.

Thanks again and I will let you know when I get the copyright finished on the magic spray :-)

AutoFX in perth, shoot him a email, if anyone knows the best product , its him.

GenF-GTS
02-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Have not tried this myself but it looks alright...might be worth a try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK2LsZJ2brg

I can now confirm this stuff works, have applied it about 1.5 weeks ago now, driven about 600-700km normally i have loads of brake dust on the wheels and calipers, i had next to none and it washed off with just water spray. I also noticed when spraying with water it was beading water a lot so it has a clear film protecting the wheels and calipers.

1 thing is do not apply too much as it can create run marks and be sure the wheels are very very clean otherwise it will seal the dirt in.

voodoo_sv6
02-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Awesome update. Thanks

GenF-GTS
14-08-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm probably 1500ks in now and it's still working great, the calipers are so clean still it's great i also noticed the other day on the driveway when we had a little rain that some of the product must have got on there as the water was beading in the 4 wheel spots where i applied it....all in all i rate this product pretty well.

When i next get a chance and the stuff wears off i am going to take the wheels right off so i can coat the insides properly.

If like me the brake dust and dirty calipers annoys you this is the right stuff for it.

voodoo_sv6
14-08-2014, 06:28 PM
I have the two left wheels on my car with this product and the other two with a coat of Meguiars NXT Gen wax. Both wheels were prepped exactly the same and I have washed them with a pressure washer and pH neutral snow lance. Both products seem to be keeping the dust away and the Armor All wheels seem to bead more than the others, and both sets cleaned up beautifully without touching them.

I will continue to wash the wheels in this manner and see how they are holding up in a few weeks and report. So far I'm impressed with both products. Maybe my weekly routine of using heavy duty wash to remove the brake dust was never giving any products a chance to stay on the wheels to protect them

1997 HRT GTS
15-08-2014, 07:05 AM

What a laugh mate! Thats exactly what i use. :-)

MLCGTS
20-08-2014, 10:46 PM
If anyone knows the blokes at City motors (HSV) in Perth they import some wheel cleaner from some unusual place like Czech Republic or Slovakia (yeah really!) and it is the same stuff that HSV used to import and re badge. They reckon it is the real deal, but it is $30 a bottle of 750ml . . and after having spend a bit on old parts I left it there. Would be good to get the name of it and see what Ebay has.

RCBVFGTS
11-09-2014, 08:26 AM
I'd like to give a plug for Adam's Polishes Deep Wheel Cleaner. Our little family buzz box run around has a set of CSA machine finished mags with gloss black paint outs. It resides out in the weather 24/7. We've had some torrential rain on the far north coast of NSW in recent weeks so my mags were absolutely filthy, and I mean filthy as they looked like a flat black finish on both the black and machine surfaces (if only my ex girlfriends were that filthy they wouldn't be my ex's :p)

I woke at some ungodly hour this morning thanks to a screaming 10mth old and I thought I would go spray this Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner onto to my mags and let it work its magic for a few hours before I washed the car.
There was a distinct smell of beer as you sprayed it on the wheels and it began to work. I did make sure my mags were cold too as they were as it was a little chilly here over night
Came out 1.5hrs later, could see it was working and just sprayed a little more on and then washed the car as normal. Simply used a wash mitt on the wheels and rinsed off.

They look the same as they did the day I purchased them. No hard scrubbing, no damage to the mags etc. Chamois dry and blacked the tyres and presto, job done!

if you're after a mag wheel cleaner that's good on all finishes and actually does the job then this is a great product

Notsotiny
12-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Honestly to save myself time and money when detailing

Megauir's wheel brightener

You can only buy it in 3.8L jug but you diluted it down 5:1 or 6:1 and spray if you have a pressure washer spray wait a minute and rinse off if your just using a garden hose spray brush agitated it and rinse off

I use it on my clubbys wheels and no darmas at all used bowdens own wheely clean and it fades the absolute f**k out of the brake calipers

Pickles
12-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Honestly to save myself time and money when detailing

Megauir's wheel brightener

You can only buy it in 3.8L jug but you diluted it down 5:1 or 6:1 and spray if you have a pressure washer spray wait a minute and rinse off if your just using a garden hose spray brush agitated it and rinse off

I use it on my clubbys wheels and no darmas at all used bowdens own wheely clean and it fades the absolute f**k out of the brake calipers
Yes, "Fading", one has to watch that...Some wheel cleaners may not do that the first time, but some will, over time, & repainting calipers properly with correct decals etc is not easy, nor is it cheap.
So, I NEVER use a wheel cleaner on my GOOD wheels. Just use what's left of my car wash mix, after I've washed the car. I use a soft brush to dislodge all dust in crevices of calipers etc, & a Daytona Wheel Brush (BEST wheel brush on the Planet) to do the inner rims. Result?....all of my previous cars VZ GTO with 6 spots, C63 etc etc, ALL had as new calipers & wheels when sold.
Mine is a simple method, but it works.
Pickles.

voodoo_sv6
14-03-2016, 11:17 AM
I agree, no wheel cleaners for me, just car wash. Changing to low dust pads has made a huge difference also.