PDA

View Full Version : Clubsport R8 E3 - Performance Options

R8Timmy
25-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi Everybody,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Clubsport R8 E3 as a replacement to my current FG XR6 Turbo. I'm currently running 330rwkw+ in my turbo which is pretty explosive. I love the look of the Clubsport and pretty much everything about it but performancewise I was a bit underwhelmed. Fair's Fair you cant really compare a car with mods to a stock car and even worse comparing a turbo to an 8 I know I know.

So anyway - I'm looking at the Walkinshaw Performance mods and am waiting some feedback from them but wanted to see if anybody here had any experience with them. I'm looking at the Power Pack Upgrade and/or the SuperCharger Upgrade.

Does anybody know what these cars put out standard RWKW and what gains I could expect from either of these packages by themselves or combined? Trying to make the decision on is it worth the invesetment. Reason for going down this path is I want to keep the warranty intact. Whilst I have had stacks of fun with my current turbo I've spent more on down-stream repairs than I have on upgrades (eg rebuilding gear boxes, diffs, and everything in between). This is something I want to avoid and acknowledge there will be trade off with performance.

So in short, are these upgrades worth it?

Cheers, Tim

Rocky
25-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Hi Everybody,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Clubsport R8 E3 as a replacement to my current FG XR6 Turbo. I'm currently running 330rwkw+ in my turbo which is pretty explosive. I love the look of the Clubsport and pretty much everything about it but performancewise I was a bit underwhelmed. Fair's Fair you cant really compare a car with mods to a stock car and even worse comparing a turbo to an 8 I know I know.

So anyway - I'm looking at the Walkinshaw Performance mods and am waiting some feedback from them but wanted to see if anybody here had any experience with them. I'm looking at the Power Pack Upgrade and/or the SuperCharger Upgrade.

Does anybody know what these cars put out standard RWKW and what gains I could expect from either of these packages by themselves or combined? Trying to make the decision on is it worth the invesetment. Reason for going down this path is I want to keep the warranty intact. Whilst I have had stacks of fun with my current turbo I've spent more on down-stream repairs than I have on upgrades (eg rebuilding gear boxes, diffs, and everything in between). This is something I want to avoid and acknowledge there will be trade off with performance.

So in short, are these upgrades worth it?

Cheers, Tim

Welcome to the forum tim
Good to see you jumped the fence
Not sure standard
But mine with a wp230 only. puts out 357 rwkws and 909 nm of torque according to the dyno sheet.
Blower is the way to go

R8Timmy
25-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Welcome to the forum tim
Good to see you jumped the fence
Not sure standard
But mine with a wp230 only. puts out 357 rwkws and 909 nm of torque according to the dyno sheet.
Blower is the way to go

Thanks Rocky -thats more like it. I've been looking around for some numbers. The only thing I came close to was an e3 r8 on youtube that has the performance pack but I was really surprised when it only pullled 277rwkw. I cant understand how you would go from the 325kw at the fly and lose so much power before it hits the wheels - and to think 277 is after the upgrade!!

Do you mind sharing how much the WP230 cost to install - I'm assuming it would be dyno/custom tuned by one of WP's partners? Sounds like whoever did yours did a bang up job pulling out 350rwkw+. Very nice indeed!!

sm-r8
25-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Mine had 250 after the power pack lol and it's a manual.. Depends on the dyno though I would say.
I think the badges on the boot are a bit happy with their figures, mines meant to have 325 fwkw.
I'd guess before it had the power pack put on it would have had around 230~ rear wheel.
That's a decent loss through the drive line

Rocky
25-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks Rocky -thats more like it. I've been looking around for some numbers. The only thing I came close to was an e3 r8 on youtube that has the performance pack but I was really surprised when it only pullled 277rwkw. I cant understand how you would go from the 325kw at the fly and lose so much power before it hits the wheels - and to think 277 is after the upgrade!!

Do you mind sharing how much the WP230 cost to install - I'm assuming it would be dyno/custom tuned by one of WP's partners? Sounds like whoever did yours did a bang up job pulling out 350rwkw+. Very nice indeed!!

It will cost around 15k,over priced i know but i wanted to keep warranty.
Very big difference in fuel economy if you drive to the rules
On a flat road at 110 it's between 7.5 to 8.5 lts per 100 ks
Bury the foot and it's big difference.
There a lot members on here that will say go elsewhere which is much cheaper and their right,but i just couldn't do it
Anyway i am quite happy with mine (untill the warranty runs out)

dannym81
26-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Hi Timmy. I've got all that on my Maloo. 3" exhaust with headers and wp 230. My dyno sheet says 480fwkw and 880nm. I have had no dramas whatsoever and I love driving the thing everyday whether it be freeway driving or through the city. Not too loud unless you give it to it. Good luck on your decision.

R8Timmy
26-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys, definately sounds like the blower is the way to go - some impressive power to be gained :)

R8133
26-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Blower is the way to go, just want it to be quicker than my mates 420 Rwkw fpv turbo, sometimes I think we probably will get more gains by putting a turbo instead of supercharging it? What do people's think?

white_lie
27-04-2013, 12:46 AM
So bolt a turbo or two on to it...
Both are no new feat, supercharging is just more common these days, in particular top mount ones.

jkhsv
29-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Or wait and buy a blown VF GTS with factory warranty !!!! :D

Nath
30-04-2013, 01:28 PM
interesting read as I too am considering a WP Blower only due to retaining warranty - I have just purchased a MY12.5 Maloo and now covered 1000km's the engine is opening up but the car doesn't feel 'fast'. My 2 predicaments are I purchased it as I'm expecting to cover 40k km's a year (sales rep) and the only WP dealer in WA has not got the best rep from what I have been told and read. I only plan on keeping the car for 3 years due to the predicted km's..

Have read plenty of reports of people getting close (mines a manual) to 300rwkw with full exhaust/cats/tune/OTR but obviously this deletes my drive train warranty - tried to search and cant find much info on people with drive-train warranty issues, or is this something less published?

Rocky
30-04-2013, 07:04 PM
interesting read as I too am considering a WP Blower only due to retaining warranty - I have just purchased a MY12.5 Maloo and now covered 1000km's the engine is opening up but the car doesn't feel 'fast'. My 2 predicaments are I purchased it as I'm expecting to cover 40k km's a year (sales rep) and the only WP dealer in WA has not got the best rep from what I have been told and read. I only plan on keeping the car for 3 years due to the predicted km's..

Have read plenty of reports of people getting close (mines a manual) to 300rwkw with full exhaust/cats/tune/OTR but obviously this deletes my drive train warranty - tried to search and cant find much info on people with drive-train warranty issues, or is this something less published?

Hi nath
I havn't realy heard any bad things about the driveline
Clutch can be a concern with excess hp but thats understandable.
Hope this helps.

Cheers rocky

white_lie
01-05-2013, 07:39 AM
the only WP dealer in WA has not got the best rep from what I have been told and read.

Go and see Shacks in Freo. They are also a WP dealer and usually get Actives to do their tuning... Much better option than that other shop you mention :)

R8Timmy
17-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Or wait and buy a blown VF GTS with factory warranty !!!! :D

As tempting as it was to hang out for the Gen-F, I've just pulled the trigger on a E3 Clubsports R8 w/ a Harrop 1900 FDFI. Took proper advantage of the run out sale pricing and got approx $12.5k discount so the blower essentially was thrown in for free.

Looking forward to taking delivery of it :)

R8133
17-05-2013, 11:20 AM
As tempting as it was to hang out for the Gen-F, I've just pulled the trigger on a E3 Clubsports R8 w/ a Harrop 1900 FDFI. Took proper advantage of the run out sale pricing and got approx $12.5k discount so the blower essentially was thrown in for free.

Got a link to the site mate?

R8Timmy
17-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Got a link to the site mate?

http://www.harrop.com.au/pdf/HARROP_FDFI_SUPERCHARGER.pdf

R8Timmy
26-05-2013, 08:34 AM

Now you wouldnt believe it but Friday just gone the dealer rang me and tells me that he cannot get his hands on the E3 R8 in any decent colour - so back to the drawing board negotiating on a Gen-F. He is expecting to get his pricebook this week. Anybody know what the Gen-F Clubsport R8 pricing is supposed to be around?

*I think I've just hijacked my own thread*:D

Nath
28-05-2013, 04:20 PM
What colour are you after?

Just did a quick carsales search and there are 39 x Clubsport MY12.5's (2012/2013 & man/auto)

I live in WA and purchased new from Vic dealership, logistics isn't that expensive for the right colour/options

Rocky
28-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Now you wouldnt believe it but Friday just gone the dealer rang me and tells me that he cannot get his hands on the E3 R8 in any decent colour - so back to the drawing board negotiating on a Gen-F. He is expecting to get his pricebook this week. Anybody know what the Gen-F Clubsport R8 pricing is supposed to be around?

*I think I've just hijacked my own thread*:D

Phone another dealer just to comfirm this is true (i'm sure criss one of our sponsers can confirm)

Cheers rocky

Cbegnell
28-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Phone another dealer just to comfirm this is true (i'm sure criss one of our sponsers can confirm)

Cheers rocky

Depends on which state he is located in. I know they are getting tight, in certain states. Depending on the deal he did and the profit left in.... I mean by the time a dealer pays border chargers and logistics cost. It can be quite expensive to ship vehicle interstate. I mean to give you an idea it will cost a NSW dealer roughly $3000 to ship a car over from WA.

If you mean the release on pricing? Stay tuned i am sure that it isn't that far away........

Nath
28-05-2013, 07:04 PM
I mean to give you an idea it will cost a NSW dealer roughly $3000 to ship a car over from WA.

Wow, thats 3 x the cost i recently paid from Melb --> Perth, I shipped 2 cars privately @ $1k each then the HSV dealer sent the Maloo over a month later for a similar cost. All cars were transported by rail and not flatbeds.

Cbegnell
28-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Wow, thats 3 x the cost i recently paid from Melb --> Perth, I shipped 2 cars privately @ $1k each then the HSV dealer sent the Maloo over a month later for a similar cost. All cars were transported by rail and not flatbeds.

Well one Melbourne is closer, but it also has to do with the border charges. Qld has the dearest in the country, and coming to NSW it will cop 3 charges from WA.

Nath
31-05-2013, 03:24 AM
I suspect the costs you are referring to are associated if a NSW buyer requests his NSW dealer to source the car from a WA dealer and buyer then makes deal with NSW dealer?

I purchased via a Vic dealer and had the car delivered to my door.

Cbegnell
31-05-2013, 10:25 AM
I suspect the costs you are referring to are associated if a NSW buyer requests his NSW dealer to source the car from a WA dealer and buyer then makes deal with NSW dealer?

I purchased via a Vic dealer and had the car delivered to my door.

You are correct sir....

Nath
31-05-2013, 08:32 PM
You are correct sir....

Well if my local dealer offered what your dealership is, (in regards to the benefits of the privileges club) I would justify the cost as value..! As it stands, you differentiate yourself over your competitors quite nicely :)

jkhsv
04-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Chris you need to do a spell check on your logo....Priviliges.....

Cbegnell
04-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Chris you need to do a spell check on your logo....Priviliges.....

Ron created it for me lol. Plus my spelling is terrible, how should it be spelt?